PDA

View Full Version : Drill Bit Storage

Dave Fritz
02-11-2022, 12:12 PM
I recently purchased one of these to organize my drill bits into one place. https://www.fastcap.com/product/kiss-drill-bit-system

I'm not using their system as I have my own drill bits. I think I'm going to have to make my own labels for the sizes as mine don't match up with the ones they're listing.

I'm thinking of using my label maker with a thin tape. I wonder if anyone else has done something like this and if so how did you modify the labels.

Thanks,

Bruce Page
02-11-2022, 1:07 PM
I use a Huot index. It holds all the common drill sizes; fractional, A-Z, and #1-60.

Patrick Varley
02-11-2022, 1:33 PM
I recently purchased one of these to organize my drill bits into one place. https://www.fastcap.com/product/kiss-drill-bit-system

I'm not using their system as I have my own drill bits. I think I'm going to have to make my own labels for the sizes as mine don't match up with the ones they're listing.

I'm thinking of using my label maker with a thin tape. I wonder if anyone else has done something like this and if so how did you modify the labels.

Thanks,

I've not modified the labels, but I do use a Brother labeler with 1/4" tapes for other jobs. Comes in a lot of different colors so no reason it shouldn't work to relabel slots and maintain the color coding.

Of course, the color coding may not matter to you. I don't use their drill bits, but I've applied some Testors model paint with a Q-tip to have other bits follow the scheme. Ultimately I've been happy with it's ability to keep things organized.

George Yetka
02-11-2022, 1:35 PM
Sorry i dont have any pictures but I recently build a drill press cabinet that slides under my DP. The right side has my fuji sprayer built into the bottom and a drawer above. On the left I built 3 drawers. 2 drawers have a piece of 1/2"ply on either side so that I could put a small slider in with smaller bits/accessories. The forstner drawer has a piece of 3/4 mdf about 2.5" wide in the center. I used 1/4" ply x 3/8"tall x 2.5" to make dividers. twist drills /Brad point drawer I ran MDF on the bottom but only covering 75% of each row of cubbies that way I can push on one end of the drill bit and it will pop out.

Sorry again for the explanation and not an image.

Dave Fritz
02-11-2022, 1:54 PM
Thanks for the replies. My situation is I have multiple bits of the same size so putting them together will be an asset to know when and if I need to purchase replacements. Also I have metric and letter bits as well so it will be nice to have them all in the same place. George, your set up sounds really functional.

Bill Dufour
02-11-2022, 3:20 PM
I splurged and bought a Huot drill cabinet. Around $90 from the bay. $122 on amazon today. The tap cabinet will stack right on top. The drawers have impressed numbers in the sheet metal fronts.
Drawers keep chips and sawdust out.
Bill D

Dave Fritz
02-11-2022, 4:39 PM
Holy Cow Bill, that looks like a perfect solution. Here's my set up. Much better than having things scattered all over, but not as nice as yours.

Jim Becker
02-11-2022, 7:52 PM
Mine is quite, um...embarrassing...other than the Centrotec stuff that I have in a CNC created drawer insert. I need to deal with all the rest one of these days, but part of that is honestly going to be replacing a lot of "old and mismatched bits" with quality tooling. That's all in a few old Tupperware (real Tupperware...) containers in a drawer or the blow-pack containers that the bits came in originally.