PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0586 fence square set up.

Brian Runau
02-11-2022, 9:57 AM
I've had this ongoing problem and this morning I am looking for the rusty razor blades!

See pic and copy of the manual page. Here's what I am doing to square the fence. I have had this unit for over 12 years and love it, but the last 2 months I am fighting to get and keep the fence square. I am squaring to the out feed vertical fence just pas the cutter head.

1. I loosen both lock downs on the top of the unit. one lets me move the fence across the table, the other let's me tilt the fence.
2. Completely loosen the 90 degree stop and flip up the black stop lever. Square the fence.

When I do this and tighten the two lock downs mentioned in #1 above, the fence moves out of square. Should I leave these loose and set the stop first with everything loose and adjust the bolt and nut tight? Then tighten the locks downs mentioned in #1? If I do this and the fence moves when I do what then?

Appreciate any help. Not had problems in the past getting this square and I am thinking it is operator error, but I can't figure out what I am doing in the wrong order.

I have great math skills and as a high schooler was good at algebra etc, but I hated story problems. Worked in the mechanical power transmission industry working with engineers and maintenance folks and woodworking as a hobby and all I did my whole life was figure out story problems! Go figure. Thanks Brian

Charles Coolidge
02-11-2022, 10:33 AM
First tighten the fence in/out lockdown before adjusting the fence square. Loosening it allows the whole fence to tilt forward out of square pulled down by the weight of the fence. The more you loosen it the more it can tilt. That lock down holds that whole square fence mechanism down flat onto the cast iron surface below it.

Bill Dufour
02-11-2022, 10:54 AM
Unclear to me what you are trying to do. Do you want the fence vertical? Or for some reason do you want it parallel to the mitre slot?
Bill D

Mike Burke
02-11-2022, 12:24 PM
I have a Grizzly 8” jointer and adjust fence square every time I move it(the fence) and also every time I use it for edge work.

Brian Runau
02-11-2022, 12:46 PM
First tighten the fence in/out lockdown before adjusting the fence square. Loosening it allows the whole fence to tilt forward out of square pulled down by the weight of the fence. The more you loosen it the more it can tilt. That lock down holds that whole square fence mechanism down flat onto the cast iron surface below it.

Charles, thanks. Brian

Brian Runau
02-11-2022, 12:46 PM
I have a Grizzly 8” jointer and adjust fence square every time I move it(the fence) and also every time I use it for edge work.

Mike:

Can you suggest proper steps based on what I posted vs what you do? Thanks Brian

Mike Burke
02-12-2022, 7:29 AM
Brian
sorry for the late response
guess I never really had much of a problem with this. just move the fence tighten that part and check the fence for square in front of and behind the cutter head and tighten it up .
good luck

Brian Runau
02-12-2022, 9:50 AM

Charles, good morning. I am loosening the fence lock down so it can move freely. Squaring the fence to the table and then tightening the lock down mechanism. Then setting the 90 degree stop. Fence is either moving when I tighten this nut and bolt or if it is set square, when I run material up against the fence to square an edge, the fence is moving out of square during this action. I even replaced the bolt and nut used to set the 90 degree square stop. Any ideas appreciated.

Brian Runau
02-12-2022, 9:53 AM
Brian
sorry for the late response
guess I never really had much of a problem with this. just move the fence tighten that part and check the fence for square in front of and behind the cutter head and tighten it up .
good luck

Mike, me either for the past 12+ years, but all of a sudden I am having problems, hence me asking. Be very deliberate and walk me through your steps(like I am an idiot). 1st do you loosen the tilt lock down? then flip up the 90 degree stop and loosen this nut and bolt? Then square the fence to the table? Then do you tighten the tilt lock down first or do you set the 90 degree stop? I have something wrong in my head and I am too close to it to see what I am doing. Thanks for any help. Brian

Bill Dufour
02-12-2022, 10:28 AM
Has the stop bolt moved? Is the top or bottom that is the actual stop smooth and polished not rough from the factory.
Bill D.

Brian Runau
02-12-2022, 11:21 AM
Has the stop bolt moved? Is the top or bottom that is the actual stop smooth and polished not rough from the factory.
Bill D.

Bill, good morning. stop seem to be smooth and I replaced the nut and bolt yesterday. Set it up this morning and ran a piece through and it was off. set up was square, but while running a piece it moved? Checked square same place when the machine stopped running and it was off. Tilt lock down was tight before and after. Bolt head was against the stop and tight before and after. This is pretty uncomplicated mechanism; which is what has me stumped. thanks brian I can afford a new machine, if I could find one in stock, but hate to spend money for something I may only use for 5-10 more years, but if it keeps up wanna buy a jointer?

Charles Coolidge
02-12-2022, 1:28 PM
Charles, good morning. I am loosening the fence lock down so it can move freely. Squaring the fence to the table and then tightening the lock down mechanism. Then setting the 90 degree stop. Fence is either moving when I tighten this nut and bolt or if it is set square, when I run material up against the fence to square an edge, the fence is moving out of square during this action. I even replaced the bolt and nut used to set the 90 degree square stop. Any ideas appreciated.

Okay so your starting position is the fence in/out movement is locked. Then you loosen the fence tilt lock, adjust to 90 degrees to the table and lock. The final step is you set the 90 degree stop. I would be adjusting both the 90 degree stop bolt and fence tilt lock simultaneously, in a tug of war back and forth to remain at 90 while tightening both. You want the 90 stop bolt under neutral/natural load at 90 degrees. The natural load from the weight of the fence but not under positive or negative load pressuring against the tilt lock or under no load with the tilt lock.

That said sounds like you are onto something replacing the bolt. It seems like over the years there's some wear in a position somewhere in the mechanism. As you tighten the fence slips back into this position, or you get it locked slightly out of that position and it slips back into it's wear position during use. If it were me I'd remove the entire fence mechanism, clean and inspect while looking for wear areas, deformation in the metal surface where the lock bolts contact.

Brian Runau
02-12-2022, 5:24 PM
Okay so your starting position is the fence in/out movement is locked. Then you loosen the fence tilt lock, adjust to 90 degrees to the table and lock. The final step is you set the 90 degree stop. I would be adjusting both the 90 degree stop bolt and fence tilt lock simultaneously, in a tug of war back and forth to remain at 90 while tightening both. You want the 90 stop bolt under neutral/natural load at 90 degrees. The natural load from the weight of the fence but not under positive or negative load pressuring against the tilt lock or under no load with the tilt lock.

That said sounds like you are onto something replacing the bolt. It seems like over the years there's some wear in a position somewhere in the mechanism. As you tighten the fence slips back into this position, or you get it locked slightly out of that position and it slips back into it's wear position during use. If it were me I'd remove the entire fence mechanism, clean and inspect while looking for wear areas, deformation in the metal surface where the lock bolts contact.

I did all this, this morning, before I saw your post. Go back to square one and do everything from the beginning. Completely removed the fence and mechanism. I have been playing the game between fence tilt lock and stop bolt to get it set correctly. Occurred to me this afternoon, after I removed myself from the problem, that the bolt was causing part of the problem, but since I have been fighting this, I have become hyper sensitive to it and may be overcompensating with my technique during milling the 90. Putting to much pressure against the fence overcompensating and possibly moving the damn fence as a result. Fresh in the morning I will review set up and try a sample run being conscious of where and how much pressure I am applying. Appreciate your time. Brian