PDA

View Full Version : Pro, retired pro, hobbyist or somewhere in between?

Michael Schuch
02-11-2022, 12:44 AM
I am curious what the mix on this board is? Pro? Retired pro? Hobbyist? Some where in between?

Me - Hobbyist.

EDIT: I would like to differentiate between Pro and Hobbyist in terms of how you make your living and not as a function of skill level.

Rich Engelhardt
02-11-2022, 5:06 AM
I am 100% - other.
I got into this stuff out of necessity.

My wife and I started buying and rehabbing houses to rent out in 2002 and I had to either sink or swim as far as making and installing trim, cabinets and built ins.

I've gotten passable at doing it. I'll never be anywhere near what I would consider a "real woodworker", but, I do ok sometimes.

I have enjoyed that aspect of doing a rehab though and I recently bought both a scroll saw and a small 10" bandsaw. Once we get settled in our new place, I plan do do some small craft-type things. Maybe look into doing some inlay too.

Edward Weber
02-11-2022, 10:26 AM
Defiantly other, the main reason being, everyone seems to have their own definition of pro or hobbyist, etc.

Dwayne Watt
02-11-2022, 11:42 AM
Definitely a hobbyist here with a mix of other. I have built cabinets and furniture for our home and my workshop simply because I wanted custom pieces not otherwise available at a price I was willing to pay. Some of the items are certainly better than others but I enjoy the work/results (well, not finish work so much...). To be able to point/look at something and know "I did that" brings a good feeling to me. I am definitely not in the pro category but have tried a lot of things just to see if I can do them. Some I may never do again!
I have just as much satisfaction building shop cabinets and project jigs that no one ever gets to see as I get building better (not always finer) furniture and cabinets.

Kurt Wyberanec
02-11-2022, 11:52 AM
I replied Pro because I do this to make a good part of my living, however it's not enough so I still have to work as a golf pro too!! Well, that's not so bad I suppose I love doing both, but I am trying to grow this woodworking business that I've had since 2003 to get the point where it is enough and I can choose to do other things if I wish. Would love to hear or talk with any of you who also have small businesses so I can get some help with growth! :)

Zachary Hoyt
02-11-2022, 11:59 AM
I'm an oddity, and that suits me fine. All my income comes from instrument building (except for the occasional eBay sale of random things) but I don't have training which would make me be considered a professional.

Stan Calow
02-11-2022, 12:39 PM
Interesting result so far. Maybe the pros are too busy working.

I accept hobbyist as I don't do anything with it to make money, just gifts for family and friends.

Lisa Starr
02-11-2022, 12:42 PM
I'm firmly in the "other" camp. I've done several whole house gut renovations for profit, but never made my living with woodworking. I ran a jobbing machine shop until I was disabled by Lymphoma. It is now in remission, but I'll never be able to work again due to the side effects of the various treatments. I think that makes me land firmly in the "hobbyist' camp now.

Michael Schuch
02-11-2022, 1:32 PM
I appreciate the replies! I come across some topics and replies that are very foreign to me. As a hobbyist I think wood working should be fun and relaxing. I understand that if woodworking is your business that you don't have these luxuries so productive and profitable takes a priority. Even as a hobbyist I LOVE working on professional machines! But as a hobbyist I can't justify buying them (certainly not buying them new!) Occasionally I feel like I am the only hobbyist on this board... so it is nice to know I am not alone. :)

It sounds like WAY too many of us grew up watching this old house. My first house when I was just out of college had the kitchen and half the down stairs bedroom gutted by a fire when I purchased it. I remember borrowing all of my buddies car jacks so I could jack up the second story and replace the framing in the two rooms on the first story. Jacking up the second story after detaching it from joists so I could pull and replace the burnt subfloor was another feat! For that experience I thank "This Old House"... it took me months to do what they could accomplish in a hour show.

P.S. I don't think of hobbyists as a lower skill level, I just think of it in monetary term of how you make a living.

Bob Riefer
02-11-2022, 3:16 PM
I'm a hobbyist for sure, although my networks of friends-of-friends (etc.) and a couple businesses pay me small potatoes for a few things here and there (and I do keep licenses, insurance up to date).

Jim Becker
02-11-2022, 3:52 PM
I'm an oddity, and that suits me fine. All my income comes from instrument building (except for the occasional eBay sale of random things) but I don't have training which would make me be considered a professional.
Experience counts as training. No worries...you're a pro.

-----

OP, you'll find that the SMC community does have a population of folks who make all or part of their living with woodworking and/or related. But the majority of the community is hobbyists who do work for themselves/friends/family plus some of the same that dabble in work for others because they enjoy it and like getting a few shekels for the effort without having a formal business. I'm not surprised about the poll results so far at all.

Bryan Hall
02-11-2022, 4:45 PM
I'm a pro, but I'm more on the finish/custom carpentry side of things. I'd classify myself as a beginner woodworker and wish I had more time for it as a hobby! Too busy playing on the water on my days off.

Tom M King
02-11-2022, 5:06 PM
I replied "other" because woodworking is just one thing on a long list of things I do to make a living. I do no hobby woodworking, or building anything for a hobby, other than a farm.

Rick Potter
02-11-2022, 5:15 PM
I guess I am OTHER. I have rehabbed 14 houses, a couple twice, built two full kitchens, two kitchenettes, and buffet type stuff as family needs change.

Always planned to try some fancier stuff like Green & Green, but always too busy. Been remodeling the house we live in for 17 years...Added 1200 S/F Granny flat to the house, built a nice workshop in the back yard, and just finished a 500' guest Cottage in the back yard contiguous with an additional garage and carport.

Family dynamics involved our daughter moving in to OUR granny flat, 12 years ago. Her now adult daughters naturally came too. The now 25 year old moved into the GUEST cottage before it was finished, and the two of them tutor dyslexic kids here all day. The 25 YO bought a house 3 miles away, and will be moving any day now. The 28 YO grand daughter is a bit autistic, and will be here after we are gone. She also took over the patio room we built.

With the guest cottage almost vacant we already have two possible relatives that may need assistance with living. Build it and they will come. Guests are advised to hurry up and visit.

Actually, old cars are my real hobby, hence the extra garage space. I hope to finish it all but I am sure slowing down, and I have five rentals to keep track of. Farm out most of the work these days, but always something happening.

Like I said...OTHER.

Rod Sheridan
02-11-2022, 7:16 PM
Hi, hobby wood worker for 50 years with a year of industrial wood working experience.

Making my living at wood working is more work than I’m interested in so I picked another career (power systems)……..Regards, Rod

Eric Cothern
02-11-2022, 7:47 PM
I am a hobbyist but have sold enough stuff to be able to pay for better tools. I do a coffee or end table about every month or so. I do have my business license and claim it on my taxes but I just about break even so it helps to make the hobby less painful to the wallet but I also keep it small enough to keep it enjoyable and not a second job

al ladd
02-11-2022, 8:04 PM
Never did anything else to earn livelihood for the last 39 years, but when I started at age 23 I thought it was a flight of fancy that wouldn't last long; totally untrained, had no idea what I was doing. Have made livelihood in such a narrow niche (craft gallery type jewelry boxes and cutting boards, and also built my own house) that I consider myself relatively inexperienced in many things (I just made my first pocket hole joint the other day, because I wanted to be able to advise others about it). Still love it, though it's been a long hard road, and for me a great accomplishment to hit median American family income a few years.

Michael Schuch
02-12-2022, 12:49 AM
OP, you'll find that the SMC community does have a population of folks who make all or part of their living with woodworking and/or related. But the majority of the community is hobbyists who do work for themselves/friends/family plus some of the same that dabble in work for others because they enjoy it and like getting a few shekels for the effort without having a formal business. I'm not surprised about the poll results so far at all.

Jim,

I always assumed that you at one point or another did woodworking for a living? ...if you don't mind sharing?

I was just curious of the mix. I see several differing opinions on this board, all good and helpful, and it is kind of nice to understand what point of view members are posting from. There was a thread about approaches to sanding. I have more sanding experience than I have ever wanted... but no clue about the best machines for sanding when you are trying to make money in the process. That is what peaked my interest on the general mix of the board.

Andrew Seemann
02-12-2022, 1:33 AM
Most of my shop time would probably be defined as hobby, although I do some paying woodworking here and there. I also build and maintain stuff in support of the family biz like tomato stakes, carts, greenhouse doors/windows, machine repair, and other things that are easier do in the shop than on site.

Albert Lee
02-12-2022, 1:39 AM
I have professional equipment but my works are hobbyist 😂

David Buchhauser
02-12-2022, 2:55 AM
I have some decent equipment, but am most definitely a "hobbyist" when it comes to "wood working". I am a mechanical/electrical engineer by trade, and currently run a small manufacturing business building and supplying metal shaping tools, tooling, and machines to the metal shaping community.
David

roger wiegand
02-12-2022, 7:52 AM
Most definitely hobbyist. I'd starve to death if I had to make a living from it, too darned slow. I do sell enough turnings to pay for my sandpaper, and am, from time to time, cajoled into doing a project for one of DW's friends who can't find a pro willing to take it on. Of late I've taken to asking people to make a donation to the museum where I volunteer in lieu of paying me for my work. I spend way too much money on tools to make a profit.

Jim Becker
02-12-2022, 9:35 AM
Jim,

I always assumed that you at one point or another did woodworking for a living? ...if you don't mind sharing?

No, it's always been a serious avocation plus some occasional commissions, although I avoided them for a very long time. When I retired from full time work in the telecom industry in late 2017, I setup a formal business doing work for others, particularly CNC work, but some furniture and other kinds of projects. The intent was never to earn a living...I already covered that with years of good planning. It was more about mad-money for tools and having something with a purpose to do. The pandemi made it impractical to keep that business open formally because of monthly costs for insurance, accounting, etc., so that was shut down at the end of 2020. We moved/downsized this past year and I currently only have a temporary shop. Once I have a building again, I'll likely go back to doing some occasional commission, but I have no intention of setting up a business again at this point with my 65th birthday in a few weeks and Professor Dr. SWMBO retiring within about a year to a year and a half.

Bob Jones 5443
02-12-2022, 11:12 AM
The Creek is an excellent resource for hobbyists like me. There’s everything from I Just Bought A Handplane to wacky tinkerers to the occasional world-renowned expert dropping in with some pearls of wisdom. I’ve been set straight numerous times by the good folks here. What’s not to love?

I own a 3hp cabinet saw with a set of blades and a killer dado stack you can’t find anymore, a 6-inch jointer, 12-inch planer, 10-inch band saw, 3-1/2hp router in a snazzy Mast-R-Lift II, 4 exquisitely tuned planes from 60-1/2 to 607, two rows of crazy-sharp chisels—one row from Lie-Nielsen, several dovetail saws, a stout Moxon vise, a 200-pound bench I built, full-shop dust system plus air cleaner, a complete water stone sharpening station plus T-8, twenty Bessey parallel clamps from 18” to 50” in tidy wall racks, a 4’ x 8’ French cleat wall full of all manner of router bits, Forstner nuts, and ancillary tools, and several drawers of supplies. All name-brand and bought new, except for the two vintage Stanley planes.

All of the power tools now sell for at least twice what I paid for them, so replacing them is out of the question.

What have I built to sell? Nothing, if memory serves. Lots of shop jigs, a very nice maple bunk bed when my boys were small, and a couple of tables and a cherry cabinet that spread over years to be completed.

I’m a hobbyist fortunate enough to be able to spend like a drunken sailor on shore leave for my hobby.

johnny means
02-13-2022, 11:55 AM
I'm one of the lucky few who get to do their hobby as a profession. Means that I love what a I do, but, I'll die poor.

Bruce Wrenn
02-13-2022, 8:48 PM
Retired pro. Hung up my tool belt in 2019, after close to 40 years in wood working and other trades. With exception of one, every local "Y" you go into, my work is every where. Built thousands of custom cabinets, storage , etc over the years. Today was in storage area above the shop, and questioning why I still have jigs for some of these. Lot of good memories up there.

Jamie Buxton
02-13-2022, 10:45 PM
I am a semi-pro. I take money for woodworking, so that makes me a pro. The semi part is because of how little money I actually can make doing woodworking.

John Goodin
02-14-2022, 1:01 AM
A true hobbyist. I refuse to do any woodworking for money. I am so slow I could not sell anything at a fair price and make more than a few bucks an hour. More importantly, woodworking really is therapeutic and as much as I love it I don’t want to think of it as work.

Charles Coolidge
02-14-2022, 9:00 AM
Being able to accurately measure to .0002 inch I'll never become a pro woodworker. :(

Bruce Wrenn
02-14-2022, 9:21 AM
Being able to accurately measure to .0002 inch I'll never become a pro woodworker. :(

Humidity will cause that much change in a couple hours. Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, and cut it with an axe. Precision work! Measured it to the thousandth.

Charles Coolidge
02-14-2022, 9:34 AM
Humidity will cause that much change in a couple hours. Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, and cut it with an axe. Precision work! Measured it to the thousandth.

My straight edge is ground to .0008 over 4 feet. (face palm)

Mark Wooden
02-15-2022, 10:38 AM
Pro
Carpenter by trade for the last 47 years, and still working (Divorce saw to that)
I started working in and out of cabinet and millwork shops in my teens and 20's in short bursts because I loved being outside more. Worked pushing a shovel, setting rebar and pouring concrete, framed, sided, sheetrocked, taped, trimmed many, many houses; worked on high end residences making and installing millwork and cabinetry for about 15 years and then took a position as Property Manager for a large estate. Oversaw all trades and provided millwork and cabinetry for an extensive remodel and addition there and ran the property for 13 yrs. I now have a complete shop (and no room for it!) here at home. Still strokin'........

John C Bush
02-15-2022, 12:12 PM
Thirty five year hobbiest here. First shop was a 19' x 30' dirt floor horse stable. Had a wood stove so no evidence of mistakes for ten years! Now have a 1500sq ft full shop and make gifts and charity donations. Our small town has a fall "festival" and for the last 20 years I have made small WWing project kits for the kids to assemble and we are now up to 80+ kits / yr. Now I get calls from neighbors and friends to fix a chair, repair old heirlooms, and lately build lots of tables and landing nets. I usually insist the husband/wives and kids participate and I am amazed at how many highly educated professionals have never picked up hand tools before and how quickly their creativity kicks in and they keep coming back with more projects to do. Haven't done any projects for our home for a while and I am delighted to share my shop with friends and build interest in "making stuff". I am more like Mr. Mcfeely the HS shop teacher-if you have a TS and a Stanley #4 smoother they think you know what you are doing. Just retired after 42 yrs in health care and am having a blast providing a venue, sharing my hobby knowledge while still learning form others, and nurturing
new interests and skill with friends.

Thomas Pender
02-15-2022, 3:04 PM
Hobbyist. Like many of SMC folks, I have decent equipment and can make some decent stuff, but I have too many other things going on to be a pro, e.g., I have a pesticide license so I can spray stuff on the farm like our orchard, have a tractor (with a bucket) to tow a heavy duty sprayer and cart, BCS equipment, and have fraternal responsibilities. My friends say I should have started earlier and I just smile. Right now my shop fits into around 1200 SF of space and I am lucky enough to be within easy driving distance of Northland Forest Products and Blue Ridge Lumber.

Gordon Stump
02-17-2022, 3:24 PM
I supplemented a full time music career with woodworking for money. I am retired from the music career so I supplement my retirement with woodworking small stuff for money. I have never cracked 40K just woodworking and doing big stuff was hard work. So I am a pro retiree from big woodworking commissions and big time music stuff. It is so much easier now so why does every thing hurt and take twice as long!