PDA

View Full Version : Agazzani wheel removal

Mike Leiferman
02-10-2022, 12:42 PM
I am going to pickup a new to me 2008 Agazzani 600 bandsaw this weekend, and intend to put it on its back to transport. Am planning to remove the table and would also like to remove what I understand to be cast iron wheels. The photo I have shows what appears to be a bolt head on the wheel center. Am wondering two things:

1) regular or reverse thread - will bring a breaker bar and assume reg right hand thread first.

2) will I need a wheel puller? I would be nervous about breaking the wheel if pulling on the square openings. Or shuold they come off the shaft fairly easily?

Thanks for any advice.
Mike

Tom Trees
02-10-2022, 3:12 PM
I wouldn't bother taking the wheel off, not much difference in weight.
So much reasons not to, i.e whether wheel comes off shaft or shaft comes out of the carriage casting, chance for scoring it.
and not having it in the same place again when installed, likely same as ACM star is adjustable.
A wee vid of very similar saw should give some tips, like the block under the guidepost could be a lot thicker to make for easier tipping
Get a dolley to move when column lying down, at least 4" post to get hands under and not trap fingers, some carpet/auld jacket/cardboard for paintwork
and maybe a 6" thick or larger thing if the fenceposts are not suitable.
Have a laugh at my expense trying to do it the hard way. :o
https://youtu.be/TqvksdzJ6ls

Rick Potter
02-10-2022, 6:39 PM
I bought a used one (24"/ 600 model) about 5 years ago, and brought it home on its back in a F-250 with a short bed. It was not disassembled at all. It made the 50 mile trip just fine, but it did take 4 guys to load and unload it.

It weighs around 600 #. Hard to use a hand truck, because of the height of the saw. To get the load balanced to push, the handle of a full size hand truck is at waist level, and very awkward, especially when trying to get it through a 7' garage door.

I was lucky..my lawn crew showed up just as I was trying to get it in the garage, and they muscled it in.

It is now bolted to two 4x4's and moves easily with a pallet jack. My 78# grand daughter can now move it around no problem. I am slowly converting from mobile bases to similar bases on the larger tools.

Jeff Bartley
02-11-2022, 8:00 AM
Mike, that upper wheel should come right off, regular thread. The table should come off easily as well.
I bought a used B-24 a couple years ago and moved it on its spine. I set it down on a couple 2x’s then screwed braces to those to keep it upright. A couple straps over the top and it was good to go. Two of us loaded it into my van, then four unloaded. Four was easier!
Congrats on the saw!

Mike Leiferman
02-14-2022, 8:48 AM
Thanks for all your feedback/advice.
I ended up taking off the table and the motor, leaving the wheels on, and then strapping a 6 ft long pallet I had made for moving it to the spine with several ratchet straps.
My son and I leaned it over onto the bed of my pickup, then lifted the bottom end up and slid it in. I am still walking, so didn't make my back act up.
Got it home sat night, and got it off the truck and into my shop and set back up yesterday.
Very nice running saw. Quiet and smooth. Came with a couple of 1 inch Lennox carbide tipped 2 tpi blades.
All in all not a difficult move. Certainly a lot more saw than I will probably ever need, but manual says it can take down to 10mm blades, so might get a 1/2 inch just to have around.

Jeff Bartley
02-14-2022, 9:03 AM
Mike,
I leave a 1/2” Lennox diemaster in mine most of the time. Mine came with a used Resaw King but it was toast: when I tried it the blade wandered all over the place. The next blade I’d like to try is a wood master ct. You’re blades might be wood masters.

Rick Potter
02-14-2022, 7:22 PM
Mine came with a 1" Lennox carbide blade that has variable teeth. Don't know which one that makes it, but it is great. Cuts a lot smoother than my old delta 14" with a 3 tooth 1/2" blade.

Tom M King
02-15-2022, 12:56 PM
No need to pull the wheels.

Roger Feeley
02-15-2022, 4:31 PM
I got a 17” Rikon bandsaw some 15 years ago. I got some work friends to help me move it to our basement. The whole affair was a nail biter.
up 3 stairs from garage to laundry room
through laundry room into kitchen
make a hard left and weave between island and fridge
another hard left and into a 4x4’ carpeted hall
back into a bathroom to align for the stairs
(note. I added 4x4 posts to the stair stringers. What the builder did made me nervous)

at this point, one of my friends, a rock climber) rigged ropes around the saw. He was our belay man. He sat in the bathroom with his feet against the door frame as three of us gently eased the saw down the stairs.

By the time we were ready to move from there to our current home, my friends had scattered. I hired riggers to take the heavy stuff from basement to garage. Crew of 3 for a minimum 3hours cost $1100. They got all the heavy stuff in two hours and started in on things the movers could have done. They said I had paid for the time and they wanted to give me good value.

my friends wound up very successful. Phil and Joe Ratterman wound up CTO & CEO of BATS Trading. I think Joe retired and enjoys doing Angel Flights in his jet. Shawn Thayer went on to become some sort of director of software engineering at H&R Bloch. Me, I just kept on writing code.

Matt Day
02-15-2022, 10:06 PM
I pulled the wheels and table from my Centauro 600CO when I moved it. Had to basically carry it downstairs so wanted to lighten it as much as possible. They came right off. I moved it on a trailer by myself on its spine with plywood bracing on on either side to keep it locked in.

Bill Dufour
02-16-2022, 12:13 AM
I like the looks of this bs moving rig.
Bill D

Mike Leiferman
02-18-2022, 4:42 PM
Jeff,
We got it set up and ran a 2x6 through it with a 32" gap to the Laguna fence, and it came off very uniformly. Out of the box.
I will get a 1/2" sometime, but the 1 inch Lennox carbide appears to work great.