PDA

View Full Version : Is there a masking tape that *doesn't* tear easily?

Paul F Franklin
02-10-2022, 10:10 AM
It seems like "tears easily" is seen as a selling point for tapes like 3m painters tape and the Frog painters tape. But I often find it a disadvantage when removing the tape. Example: I tiled my kitchen backsplash. Masked off the cabinets and countertops before setting the tile with frog painters tape. Removing the tape afterwards was a pain because there is only a small space between the tile and masked surface, and the tape has bits of thinset on it, so as you pull it back on itself to remove, it constantly starts to rip, leaving lots of little bits to try and scrape out from the little gap. I dealt with it OK, but a tape that doesn't tear easily would make it easier. Anybody know of one?

Tom M King
02-10-2022, 10:28 AM
I remove it while anything that it's next to is still wet.

Patrick McCarthy
02-10-2022, 10:38 AM
What Tom said. You need to remove the yellow and green frog tape the same day, at least when painting. Think it would be the same, and more critical, with grout or mortar.

Warren Lake
02-10-2022, 12:56 PM
green 3M used in auto body shops is the standard. Its very good tape and peels off well unaffected by finishes. How fresh your tape is will affect how it works. 3M also has some higher level tapes above that, blue i colour. Never purchased it, the green has worked well for me. This tape has good stretch which allows you to do curve working changing with tape width., The stretch also makes it have power for putting on small solid edging with some pull to it.

al ladd
02-10-2022, 1:41 PM
I've been using a product called "artist tape" that is a bit thicker and stronger. I use it for miterfold work, and as long as it's reasonably fresh, it tears off well.
https://www.dickblick.com/products/artist-tape/