PDA

View Full Version : Earlex 5500 with 3M PPS

Kris Cook
02-10-2022, 12:07 AM
I bought an Earlex 5500 a couple of years ago and have yet to use it - mostly because of the hassle of cleaning up after using solvent based finishes.

I have been reading a lot about the 3m PPS system and am convinced it would be beneficial to me.

I am trying to figure out which adapter I need for the 3M PPS system, and can't seem to get a straight answer.

I called 3M and they told me I need an S18 adapter - 3/8 female NPS-18 thread. Not really understanding NPS thread nomenclature, that didn't make sense to me so I called around a little and was told the S18 is for the "Pro 8" pressure feed gun.

Then I called Earlex and the fellow there told me he has had this conversation multiple times, and apparently multiple disagreements but told me he thought I needed an S11 adapter which is male 3/8-18 NPS thread. While on the phone I grabbed my gun (Earlex gun :D) and pointed out to him a 3/8 male thread didn't look like it was going to work at which point he seemed to be scratching his head. He said he would send me a drawing that would help. I haven't seen the drawing yet from him.

I should add that some of my confusion comes from the reference by 3M for Earlex 5000 vs. Earlex 5500. Not sure what that means.

So, has anyone done the conversion with this gun, either Legacy system or 2.0?

After looking into the NPS nomenclature I am inclined to believe what I was told by 3M and order that adapter but would appreciate any input from someone that has been there.

John TenEyck
02-10-2022, 9:45 AM
3/8 x 18 NPS is a standard pipe thread. Go to your local plumbing store with your gun and see if a pipe nipple (male) or coupling (female) of that thread size fits.

John

Kris Cook
02-10-2022, 1:00 PM
3/8 x 18 NPS is a standard pipe thread. Go to your local plumbing store with your gun and see if a pipe nipple (male) or coupling (female) of that thread size fits.

John

Thanks John I will do that. See note on picture below.

John TenEyck
02-10-2022, 3:48 PM
Yes, you will need an adapter with a female thread, as 3M said. What's inside the fitting on the gun is irrelevant.

John

Kris Cook
02-16-2022, 6:40 PM
I ordered and received the adapter for the Earlex 5500.

It is the #S18 Adapter.

The 3M Part No. is 26054

The adapter has a conical part that marries up with the tapered seat in the gun fitting.

Maybe this will help someone who is looking to make this modification.

John TenEyck
02-16-2022, 8:51 PM
Glad you got it sorted out, Kris. Spraying is about to get a lot more enjoyable.

John

Kris Cook
02-16-2022, 11:48 PM
Thanks John, for your help on this.

Prashun Patel
02-17-2022, 6:51 AM
By the way, did u go with the version 1.0 or 2.0 cups? When I was fitting my Fuji hvlp pressure pot, siphon gun, I concluded that 2.0 was not compatible and had to go with 1.0. It’s fine and works perfectly. So perfectly I now own the 6oz and the 28oz cup sets.

I needed the “H/O” style cup.

Kris Cook
02-17-2022, 9:39 AM
By the way, did u go with the version 1.0 or 2.0 cups? When I was fitting my Fuji hvlp pressure pot, siphon gun, I concluded that 2.0 was not compatible and had to go with 1.0. It’s fine and works perfectly. So perfectly I now own the 6oz and the 28oz cup sets.

I needed the “H/O” style cup.

Prashun - I do remember reading your post about that and was going to ask the question initially. Somehow in my research I convinced myself the 2.0 system would work. What was it that made the 2.0 incompatible? 3M does make a 2.0 H/O pressure cup - maybe it wasn't out yet when you bought your system??

Prashun Patel
02-17-2022, 1:29 PM
I can't quite remember, but something tells me the H/O wasn't available in v2.0 when I bought.