PDA

View Full Version : Shop Computer

John Weber
01-17-2006, 7:41 PM
We gave the kids a new computer this year for Christmas (they really needed it). The old coupter was about 10 years old (PI, 133 Mhz, 128 Meg). Anyway when no one wanted it as a donation, I thought I would try it in the shop. I picked up a wireless card and behold a shop computer. It's slow, but really surfs ok, should be great for checking ww forums and the Buckeye games on internet radio. So anything to watch for, I figure dust is my biggest problem, but with handy compressed air I can give a little blow if needed (I know only very light preasure). If I trash it I'm only out a wireless card. I think it might be fun, but time will tell if I really use it.

John

P.S. Anyone have a 15" flat panel for cheap (the monitior takes to much bench space), it would be really cool to attach a small flat panel on the wall... ok maybe a bit much...

Scott Donley
01-17-2006, 8:15 PM
John, you have found the perfect, free, shop tool. I have a couple old IBM laptops, 233 mhz, 128 ram, threw a wireless card in one and keep it in the shop. great for pdf plans and looking up some quick info, as well as checking in on SMC ( looking for old threads from someone that has done what I can't figure out how to do :) )

Ian Abraham
01-17-2006, 10:08 PM
A bit of sawdust wont hurt an old PC, just whip the lid off occasionally and blow the dust out, clear the cooling vents and heatsinks ;)

And when it does blow up you can probably pick up another free one, chuck your wireless card in and carry on.

I've got enough Pentium PCs stashed the shed to keep me running for many years :D

Ian