PDA

View Full Version : Queen Anne Chair

Mark Rainey
02-09-2022, 11:58 AM
A fun winter project with spokeshaves, rasps, fret saw, hand saws, hand planes, carving gouges....

Tom M King
02-09-2022, 12:30 PM
Awesome!! Once again

Mel Fulks
02-09-2022, 2:06 PM
It’s at top of over the top! Isn't that your own design ? I suggest making 7 more of them !

Jim Koepke
02-09-2022, 4:32 PM
Great looking so far.

jtk

Phil Mueller
02-09-2022, 9:48 PM
Stellar job, Mark. Beyond amazing. Really great craftsmanship.

John Keeton
02-10-2022, 5:13 AM
Well done!! I wouldn’t want to guess the number of hours you have invested. What wood did you use?

Mark Rainey
02-10-2022, 8:59 AM
Thanks everyone! Mel, it is not my own design...maybe an original in a future chair. John, it is mahogany. The project required 16/4 stock because of the curves on the rear legs/stiles/back. I had been practicing on basswood which carves like butter. Mahogany is a bit harder, but still not difficult. I have a lot of cherry in my area and I may try that next.

Robert LaPlaca
02-10-2022, 9:24 AM
Beautiful work Mark. Not easy to find decent Mahogany anymore, did you get it from Irion?

Mark Rainey
02-10-2022, 10:50 AM
Beautiful work Mark. Not easy to find decent Mahogany anymore, did you get it from Irion?

Thanks Robert. Got it from Hearne Hardwood in October. It was his last piece of 16/4. Spent just north of $600 for it.

Christopher Charles
02-11-2022, 12:52 AM
Fabulous! What is your plan for the seat? Will look forward to seeing the completed project.

Frederick Skelly
02-11-2022, 6:30 AM
Wow! Just wow!

Mark Rainey
02-11-2022, 12:38 PM
Fabulous! What is your plan for the seat? Will look forward to seeing the completed project.

Thanks Christopher, I am going to make a webbed frame and upholster it myself - at least I will try:)

Mark Rainey
02-11-2022, 12:39 PM
Wow! Just wow!

Thanks Fred!

Mark Rainey
02-16-2022, 8:50 PM
Working on the slip seat

474076 poplar frame

474077 jute webbing

474079 Burlap over jute

Dave Anderson NH
02-17-2022, 9:13 AM
Are you going to do it with rubberized horsehair filling in the traditional way or use modern foam with batting?

Mark Rainey
02-17-2022, 11:25 AM
Are you going to do it with rubberized horsehair filling in the traditional way or use modern foam with batting?

Dave, I am undecided at this point. Do you or anyone else have experience with rubberized horsehair?

Dave Anderson NH
02-17-2022, 2:32 PM
I watched Mickey Callahan do a SAPFM demo years ago. I haven't' decided myself on how to do the slip seat for the attached mahogany footstool.

Mark Rainey
02-17-2022, 8:05 PM
Beautiful Dave! I have watched the Woodwright's Apprentice with a demonstration on a slip seat with horsehair as well as Mike Mascelli's Fine Woodowrking videos and articles. I called Albany upholstering and they said their rubberized horsehair was not all that soft. I am thinking dense foam. I ordered a beautiful Italian tapestry today.

Dave Anderson NH
02-18-2022, 9:08 AM
That tapestry will make a spectacular slip seat. Great choice.

Tom Bender
02-19-2022, 7:27 AM
My initial thought would be that a chair like that deserves first class upholstery done by a pro, however I believe yours will be equal to the quality of the woodworking. I'm more than a little jealous.

Mark Rainey
02-19-2022, 12:08 PM
My initial thought would be that a chair like that deserves first class upholstery done by a pro

My exact thought this morning when discussing the challenge of "darts" in the front curve with my wife.

Robert LaPlaca
02-19-2022, 1:18 PM
Mark, I agree with Tom. It’s such a beautiful chair, it would be a shame if the upholstering held it back.

Just as a FYI, first on my ‘I will never attempt’ list is brick laying, second on the list is upholstery.

Mark Rainey
02-19-2022, 9:13 PM
Mark, I agree with Tom. It’s such a beautiful chair, it would be a shame if the upholstering held it back.

Just as a FYI, first on my ‘I will never attempt’ list is brick laying, second on the list is upholstery.

Thanks Robert. Good advice - although I too have been fascinated with the idea of brick laying...like sirens luring us to the rocks.

Tom M King
02-20-2022, 12:51 PM
I don't have a problem with brick laying, but I leave the upholstering to my Wife. She has better fingers for it than I do.

Mark Rainey
02-23-2022, 5:00 PM
Professional upholsterer did it in a day for $62 and did a superb job

Phil Mueller
02-23-2022, 5:16 PM
Looks fantastic, Mark. While I’ve done some limited upholstering in the past, and even brick laying, I now find more satisfaction in just writing a check. I once took a picture frame I made into a framer and had them install the glass, make the matte, and do the final assembly. The complement from the framer on the frame was enough for me. Enjoy the chair!

Mark Rainey
02-23-2022, 6:19 PM
Thanks Phil…yes, I think it is wise to get other artisans involved to complete a project in a timely fashion.

Robert LaPlaca
02-23-2022, 6:58 PM
Beautiful Mark.

On a current project, I included another artisan. I needed some restoration glass cut for a clock hood door, the glazier cut the glass while I waited!! I still don’t know how he cut that crazy restoration glass with that intricate transition from flat to arched to flat in 10 minutes.

Mark Rainey
02-23-2022, 7:20 PM
Beautiful Mark.

On a current project, I included another artisan. I needed some restoration glass cut for a clock hood door, the glazier cut the glass while I waited!! I still don’t know how he cut that crazy restoration glass with that intricate transition from flat to arched to flat in 10 minutes.

I did the exactly the same a few years ago for my tall case clock. I used restoration glass from Bendheim. I brought it to a glass shop. I showed him the shape I needed. He said not to worry, if it cracked he would use his plate glass free of charge. I told him I did not want his plate glass and my restoration glass was expensive. He completed the cut perfectly, and we were both relieved on completion of the task.

Dave Anderson NH
02-24-2022, 9:45 AM
Well Mark you are causing me to rethink doing the upholstery myself. That would be a shame since I bought the tools a year ago, but it would make life easier. We sometimes forget that 18th century furniture makers often farmed out turning, carving, upholstery, and on occasion even finishing. Your finished chair is spectacular.

Mark Rainey
02-24-2022, 10:07 AM
Well Mark you are causing me to rethink doing the upholstery myself. That would be a shame since I bought the tools a year ago, but it would make life easier. We sometimes forget that 18th century furniture makers often farmed out turning, carving, upholstery, and on occasion even finishing. Your finished chair is spectacular.
Thanks Dave! I dropped off my frame at the front desk and did not talk to the upholster. When I picked it up and met him he was very curious about who did the frame and the cushioning. He said the frame was done very well and the cushioning also. I explained that I was a hobbyist and did it. So in retrospect I am glad I did the "infrastructure" of the chair and had him finish. His upholstery was perfect, absolutely no creases anywhere. I will return for the remaining chairs.

Anuj Prateek
02-24-2022, 11:09 AM
:jawdrop:

It's beautiful!

Mark Rainey
02-24-2022, 9:15 PM
Thanks Anuj! I understand British Columbia is beautiful. Closest I got was Seattle this past September. From Seattle to Richland (tri-city area) I saw an amazing view of Mt Ranier.

Christopher Charles
02-25-2022, 12:09 AM
Amazing indeed. And historically accurate since woodworkers rarely did upolstery and vice versa? Will look forward to seeing the rest of the set :)

And glad you got to get a taste of the PNW-Richland is practically next door to me (as things go out here...).

Best,
Chris