PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman radial arm saw part

Jay Pransky
02-09-2022, 9:11 AM
Hi everyone,
I am trying to keep my very old Craftsman RAS alive. It is model #113.29410. What I need is the relay for the motor. The motor is p/n 37881 and the relay is p/n is 30588. I have exhausted my search through the internet, but came up empty. Does anyone here have this part (30588) or may know where I could get one. This saw is a work horse. It is my go-to for many operations and I prefer to do a lot of cutting on it rather than my table saw or chop saw. This saw is clean and worth saving.
Thanks,
Jay

Jim Becker
02-09-2022, 9:21 AM
A Google search on that saw model number does provide one or more sources for parts, but cross your fingers you can get anything.

Jay Pransky
02-09-2022, 9:33 AM
Believe me, when I tell you I have done dozens (and more) of google searches using all three part numbers in many different ways but everything turns up a dead end. All those "sources" you see say that the part is "no longer available." I would consider the whole RAS (or the motor) just to get the relay, but the RASs for sale are not in a convenient pick up location. For example, I found the same model in CA, but I am in MA. I would prefer just the relay though.

Bill Dufour
02-09-2022, 9:42 AM
Relay, do you mean contactor? Any relay can be replace by another one. Maybe have to run wires to a new location in a box.
BIll D

Maurice Mcmurry
02-09-2022, 9:47 AM
I have the same saw and dread the day it dies. Check eBay. A good motor tech. could probably come up with a retrofit. I can't quite figure out the function of the relay. Is it for the start / run capacitor?

Jay Pransky
02-09-2022, 9:53 AM
The motor is with an electrical motor repair service and they are also searching for the relay. They cannot find a substitute either. We have been looking for about 3 weeks. I have had this machine for 50 years and have also dreaded this day!

Tom M King
02-09-2022, 11:48 AM
Mine would be missed too. I almost never crosscut anything on a table saw. I would think the motor guy could figure something out.

Tom M King
02-09-2022, 11:54 AM
I found someone who had figured out a workaround, but didn't spend a lot of time finding his post.

I did a Google search for Craftsman 113.29410 motor relay

Michael Schuch
02-09-2022, 2:01 PM
A relay in the motor? My guess is that it would be a potential relay that cuts the start capacitor out when it comes up to speed. It seems likes that would have a comparable replacement if you could get the specs on it. I would bet most motor guys won't have the knowledge to find a proper comparable potential relay.

If it is a centripetal switch it will most likely be VERY unique to the specific model of motor.

I recall several years ago Sears was buying back the motors on their RAS's to put them out of service for safety (liability) reasons. I am sure that will have greatly reduced the number of possible used motors.

Have you considered replacing the entire saw? Or does it have sentimental value? I use my RAS extensively too but upgraded from my Craftsman many decades ago. I like the Delta turret arm saws. I see a lot of really inexpensive RAS's on CL in the Craftsman variety as well as Dewalt and Delta/Rockwell. As much as throwing out a nice saw due to a single small part and replacing it with another saw sucks it might be the cheapest path... by far!

P.S. I have a 1947 Redstar 16" 7.5hp turret arm radial arm saw I have owned for about 30 years that I am very attached to! So if you have an attachment to the Craftsman saw I completely understand.

Earl McLain
02-09-2022, 3:13 PM
A relay in the motor? My guess is that it would be a potential relay that cuts the start capacitor out when it comes up to speed. It seems likes that would have a comparable replacement if you could get the specs on it. I would bet most motor guys won't have the knowledge to find a proper comparable potential relay.

If it is a centripetal switch it will most likely be VERY unique to the specific model of motor.

I recall several years ago Sears was buying back the motors on their RAS's to put them out of service for safety (liability) reasons. I am sure that will have greatly reduced the number of possible used motors.

Have you considered replacing the entire saw? Or does it have sentimental value? I use my RAS extensively too but upgraded from my Craftsman many decades ago. I like the Delta turret arm saws. I see a lot of really inexpensive RAS's on CL in the Craftsman variety as well as Dewalt and Delta/Rockwell. As much as throwing out a nice saw due to a single small part and replacing it with another saw sucks it might be the cheapest path... by far!

P.S. I have a 1947 Redstar 16" 7.5hp turret arm radial arm saw I have owned for about 30 years that I am very attached to! So if you have an attachment to the Craftsman saw I completely understand.

Agreed on the upgrade. My “ go to” is a 1957 Dewalt GWI, but the MBF would be a good saw as well. My Craftsman was okay, but night & day stepping into the GWI.
@Michael Schuch—I inherited my Dad’s 1946 Redstar 40-A, even has a Redstar blade on it. If you have a source for the bearing slides in the turret arm, I’d be interested. His had been bent & straightened, so not as smooth as they could be. If the newer Delta versions would work, might be an easy fix.
earl

Tom M King
02-09-2022, 4:09 PM
Those old Craftsman RAS with the heavy cast iron arm are really okay. I bought my 12" in 1974, and still use it for accurate 90 degree crosscuts, and shoulders. The later, flexible arm ones, not so much.

Michael Schuch
02-09-2022, 4:43 PM
Agreed on the upgrade. My “ go to” is a 1957 Dewalt GWI, but the MBF would be a good saw as well. My Craftsman was okay, but night & day stepping into the GWI.
@Michael Schuch—I inherited my Dad’s 1946 Redstar 40-A, even has a Redstar blade on it. If you have a source for the bearing slides in the turret arm, I’d be interested. His had been bent & straightened, so not as smooth as they could be. If the newer Delta versions would work, might be an easy fix.
earl

I believe the Delta 40-A saws were built with castings from Redstar when they bought them out and the B series and later are a considerably different design.

Richard Coers
02-09-2022, 5:19 PM
Hi everyone,
I am trying to keep my very old Craftsman RAS alive. It is model #113.29410. What I need is the relay for the motor. The motor is p/n 37881 and the relay is p/n is 30588. I have exhausted my search through the internet, but came up empty. Does anyone here have this part (30588) or may know where I could get one. This saw is a work horse. It is my go-to for many operations and I prefer to do a lot of cutting on it rather than my table saw or chop saw. This saw is clean and worth saving.
Thanks,
Jay
Very old? That's funny. It's newer than the one I bought new when I started woodworking.

Maurice Mcmurry
02-09-2022, 7:12 PM
The Image is one I have had for 39 years. Cast Iron Sentiment Made in the USA. Mine was a gift from my boss in Concord NH in 1983. He was moving away. My Dad has one of these too. He replaced his motor in 1979 with one of the ones with the plastic cover.
There are several on eBay.

I have enjoyed reading the manual. I did my overhaul pre internet. It is a start relay. The trouble shooting guide mentions burned contact points in the relay.
I did have some motor trouble years ago. I opened up the motor and blew everything out and changed it to 240 volts. It has worked fine since. I no longer use my big, heavy, thick, industrial, blades. It works best with a thin blade.

Jay Pransky
02-11-2022, 3:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies and input! My RAS is back up and running! The tech found a replacement relay. He also replaced the bearings. He said I should get another 50 years from it! :) It runs like a new motor. This saw does have some sentimental value and besides, the cost to fix the motor certainly outweighed the cost of getting a "new" RAS. This machine cuts accurately and for the few idiosyncrasies (like most machines), I know exactly when and where to compensate. I guess that's the comfort-ability of not upgrading. :cool: For those who may some day need a relay for their Craftsman RAS 113.xxxx the replacement p/n is 4CR-1-735.
Jay

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2022, 3:27 PM
Glad you got it working again Jay! Tools that you have used for 50 years can become like old longtime friends!

Roger Davis
02-11-2022, 6:21 PM
Is the replacement relay made by Klixon? Were there voltage and current specs on the Craftsman relay to match up with the replacement relay?

Earl McLain
02-11-2022, 7:41 PM
Good to hear Jay, congratulations!!

and, thanks to Michael for the Red Star info!
earl

Jay Pransky
02-12-2022, 10:25 PM
Sorry, I never got the name of the manufacturer. But the p/n does look like it's a Klixon. There were no specs available for the original relay.

Maurice Mcmurry
02-13-2022, 6:49 AM
This repair would make a good youTube how to video. There are a lot of these saws still around. There are also some less patient folks who give up after only 10 or 20 clicks. I will bookmark this and keep a paper note with that PIN number with my saw.

jack dempsey
02-13-2022, 8:19 AM
Good news. Jack

Roger Davis
02-13-2022, 1:46 PM
If there were not any specs on the Craftsman relay, how was the motor tech able to determine a suitable replacement relay? Looking at the Klixon site there are hundreds to choose from on their list.

Michael Schuch
02-13-2022, 5:56 PM
If there were not any specs on the Craftsman relay, how was the motor tech able to determine a suitable replacement relay? Looking at the Klixon site there are hundreds to choose from on their list.

For a 2hp 120v motor the specs of the potential relay just have to be in the right neighborhood, they don't have to be that close. An actual experienced motor tech should be able to swag it.

Maurice Mcmurry
02-13-2022, 6:18 PM
I am curious about what is inside the relay. A capacitor, a coil, a resistor, a spring and some contacts?

Bruce Wrenn
02-13-2022, 8:30 PM
I am curious about what is inside the relay. A capacitor, a coil, a resistor, a spring and some contacts?

The relay is a coil, which during start up has enough current drawn thru it to engage the contacts. As speed builds up, current draw falls, releasing the contacts. Super simple concept, and can be used on any single phase motor to replace centrifical switch which may no longer be available. It would have to be mounted externally of the motor. Hardest part is choosing correct one. I have a couple of tools that used potential relays (OEM) for starting circuits. Three wire submersible well pumps used potential relays in the control box, before solid state came into being.

Maurice Mcmurry
02-14-2022, 5:55 AM
Thank you Bruce! With help I can sometimes understand electro-mechanical devices.