PDA

View Full Version : Router bit for cabinet door edge treatment

Jeff Monson
02-09-2022, 9:03 AM
We have a kitchen remodel coming up this spring. Looks like an off white with pinstripe on the cabinet doors. So my question, What bit is mainly used for the edge treatment that leaves a crisp line that can be pinstriped? I attached a picture similar to the door style we are going to go with.

Rod Wolfy
02-09-2022, 7:46 PM
I had to make a door like that about 15 years ago for a friend that had cabinets that he wanted matched. It was a pain. Not a cope & stick. It has 45* corners. I ended up cutting the profile to match on a shaper that I had at the time. I had to run the straight piece thru several times, with several sets of blades at various positions. Then I put biscuits in the corners, as the 45* wood joint doesn't hold very well, kind of like an end piece tied into a rail (which usually uses pocket screws).

You could probably cut the wood closest to the outside with an edge bead bit and then go thru on a different pass with a panel raising bit. But you might just contact a cabinet shop that can cut them for you or get a custom shaper profile knife set to match. On my Felder shaper, the shaper head had knives (blades) that could be locked into the head with screws, like jointer blades.

In the old days, that's what hand planes were able to do. Which is why you see some photos with hundreds of wooden profile planes in them.

You might be able to find some moulding somewhere with a similar profile & just cut it for use?

Good luck!

Dave Sabo
02-09-2022, 11:42 PM
This should do it for you :

https://www.freudtools.com/products/34-100