PDA

View Full Version : Hammer A3-31 dust collection

Joe Cowan
02-08-2022, 1:29 PM
I have this machine coming into me in a week or so. I was hoping some here could point me to where I would find couplings etc to connect my 5" DC hose to this machine which appears to have a 120mm connection port(unless I read the manual incorrectly) which is less than 5 inches. Voices of experience would be greatly appreciated.

Paul J Kelly
02-08-2022, 2:09 PM
Joe,

I used the adaptor on the Felder shop.

https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/shop/quick-couplings-sc125884/straight-quick-connector-sp125896

You need to use a clamp to cinch the 5" flex hose to the adaptor, but the adaptor allows you to remove it from t he machine as you do the switch from Jointer to planer.

PK

Greg Parrish
02-08-2022, 2:27 PM
Take a look at Fernco 1056-44. That's what I used to connect 5" hose to the A3-31 I used to have. Found it at Lowes.

https://www.fernco.com/dimensional-drawings/plumbing/flexible-couplings/stock-couplings-1056/1056-44

Lisa Starr
02-08-2022, 3:14 PM
I 3D printed a sleeve that slides over the 120 mm outlet and allows the 5" flex to slide over the sleeve.

Jim Becker
02-08-2022, 3:49 PM
I also use the Fernco sewer pipe connector for the 120mm ports on my similar machine.

Jacques Gagnon
02-08-2022, 4:40 PM
I use the same adaptor that Paul mentioned above. Works very well. I am not sure if you have other machines using a 120mm port, but if it is the case, that adaptor allows you to easily switch from one machine to another, provided the hose is long enough of course.

Kurt Wyberanec
02-08-2022, 5:07 PM
On my A341 I simply wrapped a piece of adhesive backed foam about 1/8 thick 1/2 wide on the machine fitting and a piece of flex goes on and off snug super smooth and simple and nothing gets past....total cost about .10 or a few bucks for a roll and you can replace it any time it should unstick....so far 18 mo or so of normal use in a one man shop and that original piece is working just fine.

Rod Sheridan
02-08-2022, 5:18 PM
I have this machine coming into me in a week or so. I was hoping some here could point me to where I would find couplings etc to connect my 5" DC hose to this machine which appears to have a 120mm connection port(unless I read the manual incorrectly) which is less than 5 inches. Voices of experience would be greatly appreciated.

I use the Felder right angle connector with a polyurethane very flexible hose, the only way to go when you’re flipping back and forth….Regards, Rod.

Steve Wurster
02-08-2022, 5:41 PM
I've invested in the Magport fittings in my shop. I have one piece of 5" flex hose at the end of my DC duct run, with a 5" Magport fitting on the loose end. All of my "mobile" tools (router table, bandsaw, drum sander, and my A3-31) were updated to include their own fixed 5" Magport fitting. In the case of the A3-31, I just used a very short piece of 5" hose to connect the Magport to the J/P's connector.

Joe Cowan
02-09-2022, 9:00 AM
Thanks guys. I think I can figure it out now.

George Yetka
02-09-2022, 9:41 AM
I used the felder shop adapter down to 4" on my 31 and put rocklers quick change on it, I share the hose with supermax. I went 4" because at the time I had a 2hp HF and never bothered changing once I upgraded DC. I havent noticed any issue using the 4". Note that this machine will fill DC quickly on large milling task. Lead to my seperator getting filled up and blowing a lot of dust on the cars in the driveway.

People seem to really like the upgraded planer height adjustment wheel. I have put it in the cart 10 times and decided against. I kick myself often, when I bought mine it was 4000 and I could have upgraded to the 41 for $1000. Now its a much bigger cost.
The machine is great. Keep the surfaces oiled especially the planing table it will stop the wood from progressing through if its not well lubricated.
I am on my second side on carbide cutters after 4 years having changed last summer. I am a hobbyist but have used this machine quite often

when it comes , the instructions say absolutely dont lift by the planer bed. Good luck with lifting it without doing that. I had it off the pickup truck(slid it down atv ramps with plywood attached and stopped by the garage floor lip.) not too bad but getting it off the pallet I had to shimmy it using the table and lower it gently off then lifted opposite end so another guy could pull the pallet. I never ended up lifting the full weight of the machine but had to lift a little

Erik Loza
02-09-2022, 12:58 PM
That Magport flange is the way to go.

Erik

Ed Mitchell
02-09-2022, 2:09 PM
For me, the 90 connector is particularly useful on the J/P because it keeps the connection point in a very accessible orientation, regardless of whether you're using the jointer or the planer. Good ergonomics, I guess I'd say. As a combination machine owner, I can add that the same 90 connector can then be used and is perfect for the dust collection on the shaper hood, just pull it off the J/P port and push it onto the dust collection port on the back of the shaper hood, and with the Magport it's easy to connect your hose -- tons of clearance, keeps everything out of the way.

Rod Wolfy
02-09-2022, 3:16 PM
I used the felder shop adapter down to 4" on my 31 and put rocklers quick change on it, I share the hose with supermax. I went 4" because at the time I had a 2hp HF and never bothered changing once I upgraded DC. I havent noticed any issue using the 4". Note that this machine will fill DC quickly on large milling task. Lead to my seperator getting filled up and blowing a lot of dust on the cars in the driveway.

I have the Rockler Quick connect on my A3-41, too. I just use a 20' hose and then move it between my SawStop & my J/P. Quick to connect and move and the handle is nice. I would like the MagPort, as it is 5", but the handle makes the Quick connect way more convenient. I have a 90* coming off the back of my SawStop and my drum sander. I just ordered the 120mm neck-down when I got my machine, as recommended by my sales rep. You might call your sales rep and ask for their fitting to whatever hose you need. I also got an extra euro guard fitting and plastic ends for it and then sawed it in 1/3 to 2/3 parts on the bandsaw. Then when I move my fence (to not use the exact same cutterhead knives on every piece going thru the jointer), I don't have to have the fence 8" over towards me and step around an extra 8" further away from the beds.

Joe Cowan
02-09-2022, 3:42 PM
That Magport flange is the way to go.

Erik

I see the Magport 5001 but have no idea how it works. It says you need more than one for it too work. The Felder adapter is backordered for up to 8 weeks. I need something sooner.

George Yetka
02-09-2022, 4:07 PM
For me, the 90 connector is particularly useful on the J/P because it keeps the connection point in a very accessible orientation, regardless of whether you're using the jointer or the planer. Good ergonomics, I guess I'd say. As a combination machine owner, I can add that the same 90 connector can then be used and is perfect for the dust collection on the shaper hood, just pull it off the J/P port and push it onto the dust collection port on the back of the shaper hood, and with the Magport it's easy to connect your hose -- tons of clearance, keeps everything out of the way.

My DC drop is off to the left of the machine so the hose runs across the floor behind the machine so when i am running the Planer i flop the hose over the jointer bed and it keeps it out of the way

Steve Wurster
02-09-2022, 4:33 PM
I see the Magport 5001 but have no idea how it works. It says you need more than one for it too work. The Felder adapter is backordered for up to 8 weeks. I need something sooner.

You put one Magport connector onto the end of your flex hose that comes off the DC (or DC piping). You then put another matching Magport connector onto every machine that you want to use with that hose. Some adapting may be required on the machine side. For example, my drum sander has a 4" outlet, so I just have a piece of 4"-to-5" HVAC adapter connected to that and the Magport connected to that. As I noted previously in this thread, for my A3-31 I just have a short piece of 5" hose connecting the Magport to the A3's outlet.

Mike Wilkins
02-09-2022, 11:35 PM
If my metric calculations are correct, 120 mm is just under 5" (4.72 inches). Visit the local big box store (Lowes or HD) and find one of the thick rubber plumbing adapters. My DC only allows a 4" connection (upgrades in the future) so I had to get a 5" to 4" reducer. Check Felder to see if they have adapters available.

Joe Cowan
02-10-2022, 6:46 AM
I am getting ready to order the magports but do not see any 5" blast gates. I hate to have to reduce to a 4" after getting the 5" pipe connectors. I have an Oneida with 5" hose going to the machine. On my previous machines, I just reduced down to 4". What do you guys with 5" hose use for this?

Joe Cowan
02-10-2022, 7:17 AM
I will order a 5" blast gate elsewhere but still confused on the adaption to and from Magport. I guess I need to buy 4 of their coupling to adaption to and from the blast gate.

Steve Wurster
02-10-2022, 7:39 AM
I am getting ready to order the magports but do not see any 5" blast gates. I hate to have to reduce to a 4" after getting the 5" pipe connectors. I have an Oneida with 5" hose going to the machine. On my previous machines, I just reduced down to 4". What do you guys with 5" hose use for this?

Correct, there are no 5" blast gates with Magports built in. I'm not completely sure I see the need for Magport-based blast gates anyway. If you're running with 5" flex hose then your duct between the DC and the flex hose should be no less than 5", and ideally larger if your DC can support that.

When I had a smaller DC with a 5" inlet Super Dust Deputy, I ran 5" HVAC pipe and used 5" blast gates that I bought from either Oneida or BlastGate Company (I don't remember which).

Last year I upgraded to a larger system (Oneida V-3000) with a 7" inlet. My main line is 7", and the "drops" are 6", and so I have 6" blast gates on the drops. After the gates I split the line into 5" and 3" lines. On the drop that has my flex hose the 5" hose has a Magport adapter on the end, while the 3" hose has a slip-fit adapter. The 5" host gets used on its own when connected to the drum sander or the A3-31, and then it gets used in conjunction with the 3" hose on the router table and band saw.

Joe Cowan
02-10-2022, 7:43 AM
Correct, there are no 5" blast gates with Magports built in. I'm not completely sure I see the need for Magport-based blast gates anyway. If you're running with 5" flex hose then your duct between the DC and the flex hose should be no less than 5", and ideally larger if your DC can support that.

When I had a smaller DC with a 5" inlet Super Dust Deputy, I ran 5" HVAC pipe and used 5" blast gates that I bought from either Oneida or BlastGate Company (I don't remember which).

Last year I upgraded to a larger system (Oneida V-3000) with a 7" inlet. My main line is 7", and the "drops" are 6", and so I have 6" blast gates on the drops. After the gates I split the line into 5" and 3" lines. On the drop that has my flex hose the 5" hose has a Magport adapter on the end, while the 3" hose has a slip-fit adapter. The 5" host gets used on its own when connected to the drum sander or the A3-31, and then it gets used in conjunction with the 3" hose on the router table and band saw.

Am I correct that I will need four of the 5" Magports? Two to adapt from the machine to the blast gate and then two to adapt from the blast gate to the 5" dust hose going to my Oneida.

Steve Wurster
02-10-2022, 7:45 AM
I will order a 5" blast gate elsewhere but still confused on the adaption to and from Magport. I guess I need to buy 4 of their coupling to adaption to and from the blast gate.

Here are some pictures of my setup. The first shows the end of my 5" flex hose with the 5" Magport attached.

This next picture shows the back of my router table with a 5" Magport screwed into the opening in the back of the cabinet. That opening was originally only 4" back when I only had a 4" setup, but I enlarged it somewhat and installed a 5" setup. Note that this was done before Magport released that 5" "machine adapter" or whatever it's called that you can just attach directly onto a flat surface. (The Magports ship with that sticker, so that's where I put it).

These next pictures show the (single) Magport that I have connected onto my A3-31, using a short piece of hose between the Magport and the machine outlet. That flex hose from the first picture is attached in both of these pictures, showing it operating in Jointer and Planer modes. The hose basically comes in from behind the J/P, so it's easy to pop it off when switching modes and then reconnect before using.

Not shown are my band saw and drum sander hookups; sorry, no pics of that were already available.

Steve Wurster
02-10-2022, 8:02 AM
Am I correct that I will need four of the 5" Magports? Two to adapt from the machine to the blast gate and then two to adapt from the blast gate to the 5" dust hose going to my Oneida.

My other post from this morning that includes pictures might help. You need one Magport for each machine that you're going to support with Magports. And then you need one additional Magport for each flex hose that you're going to use with those machines.

So for my setup, I have 5 machines with Magports: A3-31, Drum Sander, Band Saw, Router Table, Spindle Sander. And then I have just 1 flex hose with a Magport on the end. The other end of that hose is clamped to the duct work / blast gate; it is not connected on that side via a Magport. So in total I have 6 Magports. And, no, that wasn't cheap, but the Magports just work.

ChrisA Edwards
02-10-2022, 9:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90K8cBdjKQk

Joe Cowan
02-10-2022, 11:47 AM
I think I finally have it clear in my dense head. Thanks guys.

Clifford McGuire
02-11-2022, 10:18 PM
Just wondering, Joe. When did you order your A3-31? I placed my order in early December and they estimated an April delivery.

I'm curious if they are delivering close to their estimate.

Pat Rice
02-12-2022, 3:57 AM
I purchased a fitting, SPC05 5" HOSE FIT TO 120MM ID CONNECTOR, from the Blastgateco that allows me to connect my 5” flex hose to my A3-41. Simply slide it on and off, friction fit is fine and the connector was $8.00

Joe Cowan
02-12-2022, 12:49 PM
Just wondering, Joe. When did you order your A3-31? I placed my order in early December and they estimated an April delivery.

I'm curious if they are delivering close to their estimate.
They had someone cancel and switch to the 41 and mine became available. I ordered in December and this one just became available, even though it was still on a boat. They asked for final payment last week, so I guess it is close to being delivered..

Erik Loza
02-12-2022, 1:33 PM
...I'm curious if they are delivering close to their estimate.

So, we (US sales team) get an updated production calendar every week that shows current delivery times. We also get un updated availability list at least three times a week, if not daily. This is because all US sales reps are selling from a single pool of available machines. Based on my experience, the factory is pretty accurate with regard to the Hammer machines. A3's are pretty straightforward to crank out and don't have electronics, so they can forecast pretty accurately when a given container is planned to leave the factory. That being said, there are a few factors to consider:

-Both East Coast and West Coast ports are seeing delays in getting containers actually into port. You may have read about this in the news. So, even though the factory can be quite accurate as far as when they plan to put a container on the water, there are stateside issues out of anyone's control. Perhaps just me, but I am adding an extra month to machine ETA's because of this. Would rather over-deliver than over-promise.

-When a container arrives, the warehouse team offloads that container, then re-crates each machine with framing lumber for the domestic leg of the journey. As you might imagine, that's a time consuming process. The warehouse prioritizes machines whose owner's have paid their open balances first. I'm mentioning this because there always seem to be folks who are slow to pay once they receive the balance invoice from headquarters and then what could have been a week turns into another month. My advice to any customer is to pay your balance ASAP. That moves you to the front of the line.

All this being said, BE PREPARED FOR DELAYS. For better or worse, it is the new normal. Hope this helps clarify.

Erik

Clifford McGuire
02-13-2022, 10:01 AM
Thanks Erik and Joe. I'll make sure to pay the balance when I get the notice.

I just double checked the Order Confirmation. It was placed on Dec 27th, and had an April 2022 delivery estimate. So, I have a couple more months to wait. Yes, this is the new normal. What a crazy, crazy time we are living in.

Joe Cowan
02-17-2022, 1:57 PM
I just got notice that my machine has arrived at the whse and is ready to be shipped.

Rod Sheridan
02-17-2022, 8:02 PM
I just got notice that my machine has arrived at the whse and is ready to be shipped.

Wonderful, have fun…..Regards, Rod

Mike Wilkins
02-24-2022, 10:51 PM
Great news on the arrival time. I paid the deposit on a Hammer F3 shaper in January and got the delivery date for August. I guess these trying times are affecting us all. Enjoy your new machine.
If you have any questions after your visit just call.

Joe Cowan
03-03-2022, 9:32 AM
Update: It arrived yesterday morning and looked great off the truck. Once I got into removal of the crate and plastic covering, it had been hit so hard in route on the ship (my opinion) that it dented part of the machine and bent the 1/8" thick brackets they use to tie it down to the 1 1/2" plywood pallet it is shipped on. The wood crate (which is installed in Delaware) and the plastic (which is put on at the factory) was in good shape. I could not have seen it off the back of the truck. So far, the response from Felder has been excellent. I have requested they send a technician down to repair and calibrate the machine. The part that is dented can be replaced easily it seems, but my concern is the things I cannot see.

Dave Sabo
03-05-2022, 9:59 AM
This will work if you're willing to live with 4" flex.

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-schedule-40-pvc-to-4-adapter-for-hose

Derek Cohen
03-06-2022, 1:22 AM
Joe I am coming in late, but better late than never.

At present all my Hammer machines (A3-31, N4400, K3) use the existing 5" outlets into 5" hoses into a 2hp DC. This is for expediency until we move home, which we have been planning for a few years. In the next shop, all outlets will be modified to 6" and a new DC will be added. There is no point in changing up until the new DC (with more power and a larger impeller) and piping is installed. The difference in dust collection with a 6" outlet is expected to be very significant. My advice is that, if you are able to do this now, change all up to 6" outlets and fittings. Do not go 4" - total waste of money and equipment, not to mention a risk to your health. 5" is about 30% better than 4", but 6" is about 30% better than 5".

Regards from Perth

Derek