PDA

View Full Version : New Tool (Froe) from local blacksmith

Tony Wilkins
02-08-2022, 11:17 AM
A local blacksmith just delivered a tool he made for me, a froe. Here it is…

His name is Daniel Dean and he runs Livingston Forge.
https://www.facebook.com/livingstonforge/

Jim Koepke
02-08-2022, 2:43 PM
Neat!

jtk

Maurice Mcmurry
02-08-2022, 4:31 PM
We have Shingle Oaks in the woods. We made shakes for a Buckminster Fuller dome in the 70's. I was just a kid and loved to play Daniel Boone. It was really neat. The dome sort of spoiled Daniel Boone theme. Nice looking tool! I want one!

Maurice Mcmurry
02-11-2022, 7:34 AM
A local blacksmith just delivered a tool he made for me, a froe. Here it is…

His name is Daniel Dean and he runs Livingston Forge.
https://www.facebook.com/livingstonforge/

Tony, What projects do you have in mind? I keep wanting to try making a pack basket from Brown Ash splits.

Tony Wilkins
02-11-2022, 9:41 AM
Tony, What projects do you have in mind? I keep wanting to try making a pack basket from Brown Ash splits.
I wish I had more access to green wood to try those projects. My main goal for this beasty is for straight grain riving of anY wood I can use it on.

Jim Koepke
02-11-2022, 11:08 AM
Tony, what are you using for a froe whacker (beadle)?

Here are some of mine:

Two were carved and two turned on a lathe. The small one is for the small froe in the picture.

jtk

Tony Wilkins
02-11-2022, 1:26 PM
Tony, what are you using for a froe whacker (beadle)?

Here are some of mine:

Two were carved and two turned on a lathe. The small one is for the small froe in the picture.

jtk

Haven’t figured that part out yet. Seem to remember that Lee valley had one for sale. Don’t have a lot of access to dog wood roots etc.

Jim Koepke
02-11-2022, 1:41 PM
Haven’t figured that part out yet. Seem to remember that Lee valley had one for sale. Don’t have a lot of access to dog wood roots etc.

Not sure about dog wood roots, but the two on the left are alder. The one on the right is a piece of bog cherry or some other weed tree related to cherry.

Froe beaters are going to get chewed up from hitting the froe. They will have to be remade every few years to decades depending on how much they are used.

The long one in the middle might be alder or some other wood that grows around here.

The one on the left may have been used for firewood a while back.

jtk

Maurice Mcmurry
02-11-2022, 8:07 PM
I do not have a froe or a beater. I have made some Persimmon mallets. Persimmon is a darn tough, hard, and heavy wood.

Tony Wilkins
02-11-2022, 8:27 PM
I’ve got some dense beech. I guess I could try and see if it works.

Maurice Mcmurry
02-11-2022, 9:39 PM
That tool looks ominous and sharp... Don't forget your shoes : )