PDA

View Full Version : What are the best CNC for a hobby shop

bob pfohler
02-07-2022, 10:17 PM
I had a 4’x8’ ShopBot years ago, it was a decent machine. I have a lot of experience with several machine operating platforms and several CAD and 3D modeling programs so I’m pretty sure I’ll pick up a new system pretty quickly.
I’m thinking about getting another CNC but Im thinking something with a smaller foot print. I’ve haven’t looked into a CNC in several years so I’m not really sure what’s out there right now.
What are some of the better machines out there?

ChrisA Edwards
02-07-2022, 11:21 PM
What's your budget?

That's like saying I want to buy a sports car, Miata or Ferrari or Bugatti?

David Buchhauser
02-08-2022, 2:51 AM
For a hobby machine I like the Avid CNC tables. I own several of them and am very happy with how they perform for me. Cost was around $12k when I purchased the last on - a Pro4848. Many here like the Camaster tables. I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions later today.
David

bob pfohler
02-08-2022, 6:37 AM
Have you ever gone to buy a car and spent more then originally intended. I’m looking for reliable brands with good support.

George Yetka
02-08-2022, 8:09 AM
Avid and camaster seem to get the most praise for support here.

Price does make a huge difference though, and "hobby" is subjective.

3k gets you a onefinity that has some great features similar to a higher priced unit
5K gets you into an Avid benchtop 2x2
7K-8k gets you into a Camaster/Hammer/Axiom 2x3/2x4
10k Gets you into beefier 2x4 units with bigger spindles maybe tool changers
12 and up is where Id say your into a more commercial unit

bob pfohler
02-08-2022, 9:17 AM
Avid and camaster seem to get the most praise for support here.

Price does make a huge difference though, and "hobby" is subjective.

3k gets you a onefinity that has some great features similar to a higher priced unit
5K gets you into an Avid benchtop 2x2
7K-8k gets you into a Camaster/Hammer/Axiom 2x3/2x4
10k Gets you into beefier 2x4 units with bigger spindles maybe tool changers
12 and up is where Id say your into a more commercial unit

Thanks and to be honest I’m not sure yet what I’ll spend, maybe $5k and maybe $15k. I want to research some brands and start to narrow my search. I do appreciate all the good info.

Jim Becker
02-08-2022, 9:58 AM
Even though I'm in the Camaster camp for my own machine, I've become a good fan of the AVID systems because of how flexible they are, both initially and over time for expansion, etc. While I'd certainly want and recommend a heavier welded frame machine for business/production work, the AVID has a lot going for it in every other way.

Ronald Blue
02-08-2022, 2:33 PM
Here's a great option in your geographical area. If you can't view this join the Camheads forum as a guest.
https://www.camheads.org/forum/items-for-sale-or-trade/used-camaster-cnc-routers-for-sale/115375-stinger-i-for-sale-sr-24-ftc-laser-lift-custom-upgrades-located-northern-ny

Bob Falk
02-08-2022, 7:39 PM
My $0.02. I too am a hobbyist. After a lot of looking, I ended up buy a 2x4 Stinger 1 Camaster as I wanted a turnkey machine. Do I wish I had a 4x8? Yes, but no room. I ended up spending about $12K for mine as I added several accessories including spindle, lathe ready, bit set, maintenance kit, laser, etc. The most useful of which is the 1.7K spindle. I strongly suggest spending the $ for a spindle....much easier on you and your household ears than a scream'in router on a 14 hr. 3D carve.

John TenEyck
02-08-2022, 10:58 PM
I'm in budget conscious CNC buyer but I wanted to be able to handle good sized parts, so I bought the OneFinity Journeyman which has a 48" X axis x 33" on the Y axis. With tiling, you can cut 48" wide sheets of any length. The Journeyman costs about $3.5K by the time you pay the tax and shipping, and add another $500 or more if you add a spindle, plus whatever software you want to use to run it (I choose V-Carve Pro), but I couldn't find anything else in the less than $5K price range with a similar size capability. No comments yet on how it actually works as I'm still waiting for delivery - impatiently waiting.

John

John Lifer
02-15-2022, 9:31 AM
Yes, I've got a Shapeoko 3xxl. The ONE thing that infuriates me with my decision is material size. I WANT to use it to cut out larger pieces and being limited to a 30x33 inch work area is really CRAP. SO much waste when you cut down a sheet of ply. Yes, obviously you can tile to a degree, but that adds SO much more complexity to your workload. Don't be like me and buy a toy. Unless you are CONFIDENT in what you are working with as far as raw materials AND final part size.
Do I seem angry? yes at myself. Sheet size a MINIMUM of 48" on at least one dimension.