PDA

View Full Version : Easy Cutter , brand old chisel info

Mel Fulks
02-07-2022, 9:02 PM
Had one from a yard sale. 1/8 th inch. A superior piece. Looked it up and found lots of of discussion of how great they are.
Now I can’t find anything about them. What happens to the info? I’m wondering if any here know anything about the
company. I lent the chisel to a friend, and now he can’t find it. Looks like I won’t be able to replace it or even find the old
discussion, which was at least 25 years ago.

Jim Koepke
02-07-2022, 9:07 PM
I lent the chisel to a friend, and now he can’t find it.

That is my reason for keeping a set of tools that do not leave my shop and others that can be lent out.

jtk

John Keeton
02-08-2022, 3:49 AM
H W Gellers of St. Louis, MO made edge tools and used the brands EZ Cutter and Easy Cutter. Perhaps that was the maker of your now non-existent chisel. My shop rule goes beyond Jim’s - I don’t loan tools. It just doesn’t work out well. I will take my tools and help out, but the tools come back home with me.

John Keeton
02-08-2022, 4:28 AM
And, there is an H W Geller chisel for sale now on eBay.

Edward Weber
02-08-2022, 11:07 AM
Just about every manufacturer sold their tools under different names as they absorbed other smaller companies.
There was also a common practice of hardware stores (remember them?) re-branding tools with their own local brand name. Some may have a double stamp, the maker on the back and the end seller on the front.

Also +1 on not lending tools

Mel Fulks
02-08-2022, 1:03 PM
John, thanks for that good lead. Gosh, ebay is getting expensive ! I will certainly not be buying any food or gasoline there !

Eric Rathhaus
02-08-2022, 2:18 PM
Mel - if you remember the site where you got your information originally, you can use the "Way Back Machine" to view information no longer available. It's an archive of websites over time.

John Keeton
02-08-2022, 2:18 PM
Not only is eBay getting expensive, one has to be educated before bidding. It is easy to make a bad buy and difficult to make a good one. Most folks won’t put in the research and effort needed.

Jim Koepke
02-08-2022, 2:50 PM
Also +1 on not lending tools

Too many times a tool has been lent out and returned messed up or broken. It seems to be always the same, "Well it should have been able to what it was doing." The only time someone actually replaced a screwdriver they messed up, it was with one of a much lesser quality/value.

There are very few tools in my shop that will be loaned out. The ones that will be loaned are ones I do not care if they are returned or not.

jtk

Stephen Rosenthal
02-08-2022, 3:10 PM
My mantra: Have tools, will travel. But keep your stinking hands off my tools.

Mel Fulks
02-08-2022, 3:15 PM
Jim, thanks for another dose of reality. Gonna open my head up and put in some sober rules. It’s indeed a bitter pill to not have that
chisel. So many narrow chisels used to be too weak to even use a mallet lightly. That one really held up. I did recently by a 2 pack of
1/8 chisels made by Irwin ,and they are much better than ‘run of the mill’ old ones.

Stephen Rosenthal
02-08-2022, 3:21 PM
Not only is eBay getting expensive, one has to be educated before bidding. It is easy to make a bad buy and difficult to make a good one. Most folks won’t put in the research and effort needed.

Exactly the reasons I’ve essentially stopped buying anything on eBay. I follow certain items and trusted sellers (those I’ve purchased from) just to get a sense of the market. It never fails to amaze me what some sellers consider “excellent” or “appears to be unused” condition.

I don’t need much in the way of tools anymore, although I am on the notify list when/if a couple of LN items become available again.

Mel Fulks
02-08-2022, 3:31 PM
Ebay has low priced straight razors . That are BROKEN !! Choose cracks, missing chunks, extreme wear….or collect all three.

Mel Fulks
02-08-2022, 4:25 PM
Mel - if you remember the site where you got your information originally, you can use the "Way Back Machine" to view information no longer available. It's an archive of websites over time.

Eric, thanks for that , but I have no idea where I found info. Pretty sure I had the chisel for some years before finding any info. And I’m
pretty sure I had someone else doing the googling.

Jim Koepke
02-08-2022, 8:48 PM
It's A Sign!

Edward Weber
02-09-2022, 10:27 AM
H W Gellers of St. Louis, MO made edge tools and used the brands EZ Cutter and Easy Cutter. Perhaps that was the maker of your now non-existent chisel. My shop rule goes beyond Jim’s - I don’t loan tools. It just doesn’t work out well. I will take my tools and help out, but the tools come back home with me.

I think you're probably correct.
The problem for the OP is that he wants an EZ Cutter chisel which may be from H.W. Geller
H.W.Geller turner into Geller Ward & Hasner Hardware which lasted until about 1937 and the was sold to Shapleighs
Shapleighs acquired all of E.C. Simmons in 1940 and kept all the names like Keen Kutter.
In 1955 Shapleighs Hardware was sold to Curtis Mfg. Co which kept the name until the early 60's
Currently Val-Test Hardware Company of Schaumburg, Illinois owns the rights to the Keen Kutter and Diamond Edge logos today.
This is why it's hard to find accurate names dates and pedigree of old tools.