PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Saws - more rip capacity

Todd Burch
07-19-2003, 9:43 AM
For taking onsite, I have a Makita 8" portable TS. I've turned it on to make sure it works, but I've never run a board through it. My theory is to take the saw with me to jobsites, but the factory rip capacity is about 12" or less - sorta worthless.

Has anyone built a portable benchtop saw base and made their own fence system in order to gain more rip capacity with this or any other benchtop saw? Also, has anyone extended the crosscut-ability of this saw? The factory miter slot is pretty weak on this saw, and the miter gauge is a joke.

Thanks, Todd.

Daniel Rabinovitz
07-19-2003, 10:04 AM
Todd
Norm Abram built a portable table saw mobile table for the Delta portable table saw that can adapted to your needs, I think. Plan # 9908
My son-in-law also built Norms portable table saw and it worked out very nicely.
I on the other hand built my mobile base around the jet contractors saw but it is too big and bulky and heavy to take to job sites.
Dan

Angelo Schembari
07-19-2003, 10:07 AM
Todd,

Norm built a Jobsite extension table setup for a benchtop saw. Seems pretty slick. Have been meaning to do something similar but....

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?9908

Angelo

Steven Wilson
07-20-2003, 12:07 AM
Go to amazon.com and check out the Rousseau portable saw stands. Many of the models have an extension fence to increase the rip capacity to 27 inches, by all accounts these are handy units for the job site

Jim Becker
07-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Go to amazon.com and check out the Rousseau portable saw stands. Many of the models have an extension fence to increase the rip capacity to 27 inches, by all accounts these are handy units for the job site

I second the motion for the Rousseau stands, especially for job site use. The folding metal design will hold up very well and you get a REAL rip fence with it. Norm's stand is nice, but I wouldn't consider it all that portable due to weight, etc. I had one for my first table saw a few years ago and it actually made the tool usable for the short period of time I owned it! (Gave the stand to my brother after I sold that POS Craftsman saw...)