PDA

View Full Version : Dry Ice

Jerry Bruette
02-06-2022, 9:44 PM
Anyone here ever use dry ice to keep meat frozen for a couple days while transporting it?

We'll be going to New York later this month and I'll be bringing about 40# of frozen meat to my son. I plan on keeping it frozen with dry ice, any advice?

Zachary Hoyt
02-06-2022, 9:58 PM
We used dry ice once to keep a chest freezer cold during a long summertime power outage before we had a generator. We met someone at a highway exit who was on his way by making a delivery to a bar up north, so that saved us an hour each way to go to the distributor. It worked, but that experience was what inspired us to buy a generator.

Christopher Herzog
02-06-2022, 10:38 PM
Dangerous stuff, please know what you are dealing with ahead of time. Gloves would be #1 and do keep kids out of the cooler. Won't be a good place to try and breathe.

Take care,
Chris

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2022, 10:42 PM
I used dry ice to keep meat for 3 days while I set up an elk camp, setting the tent, cutting firewood and scouted waiting for my brother and our Mom's husband to arrive to hunt. After about 3 days, I packed the cooler in a snowbank near the camp.

Rob Luter
02-07-2022, 7:43 AM
Yup. Works great. Omaha Steaks uses it to ship frozen meat too. Use gloves and assure good ventilation.

Lee Schierer
02-07-2022, 8:15 AM
The main problem with dry ice is finding a source, Not many places are left where you can buy it.

Ronald Blue
02-07-2022, 8:39 AM
It's been several years but we did that with some frozen food. As I recall at that time you could get it at Wal-Mart. I think we sealed the cooler with duct tape or so it seems.

Frank Pratt
02-07-2022, 9:26 AM
Seal up the meat well. Dry ice can carbonate foods with the high CO2 levels in the cooler. Stuff like carbonated grapes taste great. Meat, probably not so much.

Rob Luter
02-07-2022, 9:28 AM
The main problem with dry ice is finding a source, Not many places are left where you can buy it.

Try Welding Supply stores or search for Continental Carbonics. It may be scarce in Peshtigo but there are at least three places in Green Bay.

Stan Calow
02-07-2022, 9:56 AM
Gloves for sure. I've had meat products and full meals shipped 2-3 days from distributors on dry ice. It seems to last just long enough to get here. I'd check it periodically on the way, and if it starts disappearing, just replenish it somewhere on the road. Here in KC many larger grocery stores carry it.

Brian Elfert
02-07-2022, 9:57 AM
It's been several years but we did that with some frozen food. As I recall at that time you could get it at Wal-Mart. I think we sealed the cooler with duct tape or so it seems.

Only some Walmart stores carry dry ice. They don't have it in the Midwest, but I have purchased dry ice at a Walmart store near Reno, Nevada.

Ronald Blue
02-07-2022, 10:10 AM
Only some Walmart stores carry dry ice. They don't have it in the Midwest, but I have purchased dry ice at a Walmart store near Reno, Nevada.

I got mine in Macomb Illinois. Looking online it no longer appears that they have it.

Jerry Bruette
02-07-2022, 10:22 AM
Seal up the meat well. Dry ice can carbonate foods with the high CO2 levels in the cooler. Stuff like carbonated grapes taste great. Meat, probably not so much.

Never heard of that. The meat is double wrapped in freezer paper. I'll put the meat on the bottom of the cooler and then put a cardboard divider in and the dry ice n top of that.

We found a Fresh Thyme store in Green Bay that has the dry ice, it's right on our route so we'll get there when the store opens and pack the cooler. I've checked our route and there are some Fresh Thyme stores along the way.

My biggest concern is when the dry ice sublimates and the car could fill with CO2. I'd love to find a way to hook a hose to the cooler drain and vent it outside the vehicle so we don't pass out and crash and burn. Can't put it in the trunk we drive a Honda CR-V.

Bill Dufour
02-07-2022, 10:27 AM
Bought some this year at local save mart. It was $4.00 a pound. Fridge went out. I am not convinced it was cheaper then water ice for equal cooling power. Wrap cooler in old blankets etc.
Bill D

Bryan Lisowski
02-07-2022, 11:41 AM
Your driving, if you have a well insulated cooler, I would just use regular ice. You can easily refresh along the way.

Kev Williams
02-07-2022, 11:48 AM
Virtually every grocery store around here sells dry ice, the freezers are usually right by the entrance doors. I buy it to refill Soda Stream C02 cans -

Lee Schierer
02-07-2022, 1:29 PM
My biggest concern is when the dry ice sublimates and the car could fill with CO2. I'd love to find a way to hook a hose to the cooler drain and vent it outside the vehicle so we don't pass out and crash and burn. Can't put it in the trunk we drive a Honda CR-V.

Most modern cars have flow through ventilation, so there should be no problem with the CO2 escaping from a cooler.

Alex Zeller
02-07-2022, 8:56 PM
Some time ago when duck hunting down in Arkansas we used it to bring the meat back. The local Walmart had a cooler by the registers with it. If I was transporting it from one house to another I would set the freezer as low as it will go a few days ahead of time.

John K Jordan
02-07-2022, 10:39 PM
Anyone here ever use dry ice to keep meat frozen for a couple days while transporting it?

We'll be going to New York later this month and I'll be bringing about 40# of frozen meat to my son. I plan on keeping it frozen with dry ice, any advice?

We have done this several times when transporting seafood from the coast. We usually break up the drive by stopping to visit friends so the 12 hr trip has the seafood in the cooler for two full days. I freeze first then pack with dry ice in an insulating bag inside a styrofoam cooler. Every time the contents arrive frozen solid with dry ice to spare.

Dry ice is easy to find around commercial fisheries. I googled ‘where to find dry ice’ and found five sources close to me in TN.

Hey, if you want high quality and free styrofoam coolers (some with very thick walls and some quite large) check with local medical clinics. Ours gets them almost daily and they all go to the dump unless someone wants them. Vet clinics and farm stores sometimes get them too. All these are extremely sturdy as they are made for shipping, nothing like the cheap and poorly insulated styrofoam coolers you find at retail stores. I found a few with nearly 3” walls. (We keep a large one in our car to carry frozen foods and things like milk home from the grocery store.)

JKJ

Kris Cook
02-07-2022, 11:15 PM
Hey, if you want high quality and free styrofoam coolers (some with very thick walls and some quite large) check with local medical clinics. Ours gets them almost daily and they all go to the dump unless someone wants them. JKJ

Hmmm. Wonder what they put in medical coolers. Just sayin':eek:

Jerry Bruette
02-08-2022, 12:04 AM

My wife used to get Trulicity when she used it, now she gets her insulin in a cooler. A coworker said his dad got his RA medication shipped the same way. No body parts that I know of.��

Bill Dufour
02-08-2022, 12:23 AM
I would think CO2 would wake you up. CO will not. Too much CO and you look a nice healthy pink like you just did some exercise. I was told that pink glow is inside the body as well.
Bill D

Perry Hilbert Jr
02-08-2022, 12:47 AM
We did historical reenactments in the past. We drove from Virginia to North Dakota for one at Ft Mandan. We planned out meals out and packed two ice chests. In one we had a frozen turkey and meat for the middle of the following week to the end of the week. We turned our chest freezer down as low as it would go, froze everything to that temperature and packed the ice chest and packed crumpled newspaper into the voids on top. Then I duct taped the ice chest shut and put the whole thing in the freezer. We had a Chevy suburban without air conditioning. We packed the suburban Friday afternoon in northern VA the first day of summer.. I wrapped blankets around the cold ice chests. We drove to Baltimore and visited a friend in the hospital and left from Baltimore out through PA toward ND. We were delayed a few hours by a bad hail storm. We finally made it to our destination along the missouri River Sunday morning. I checked the ice chests and they still had some frost on the outsides. We opened the first ice chest that day and had to wait for the food to thaw. The second ice chest was not frosty, but still cold to the touch on Monday. When I opened it on Tuesday to check the contents the turkey inside was still a block of ice. That was Friday to Tuesday and still frozen in summer time. We did have a small 3rd ice chest for drinks and ice water along the way. If your trip with be just a couple days, you shouldn't need dry ice, if you get everything cold and keep the ice chest sealed, with an insulating cover like blankets.

Mel Fulks
02-08-2022, 1:46 AM
Perry, when you did those “ historical re-enactments in the past “ did the audience complain about the re-runs ….or were they glad to
see themselves “back in the yesterday “ ? Those things can go either way !!

roger wiegand
02-08-2022, 7:34 AM
I think you can find calculators online that will tell you about consumption rates vs time and temperature so you know about how much dry ice you need. If you take it on the road you should, in theory apply the appropriate DOT label to the container (though I doubt anyone one does for non-commercial shipments-- if you take it on a plane it is an absolute must). I spent a good decade of my life where I did hundreds of dry ice and liquid nitrogen shipments everywhere in the world. Insulation is your friend, get the best styrofoam box you can find. Putting a styrofoam box inside a cooler can help. Your situation sounds much easier than keeping medical samples below -80 from Mozambique to Boston on a trip that starts on a bicycle.

George Yetka
02-08-2022, 8:23 AM
We do Hello Fresh a meal delivery service. We get a cardboard box delivered once a week when we are actively using it. The box comes in with the meat frozen and the vegetables refrigerated ahead of time they have a bunch of ice packs and a spun poly padding. The meat comes in still frozen. The only problem is I dont know how long it takes to get from packaging to my door. But I know it sits on my front porch some times 6-8 hours in the summer. So it works well but I would think with a cooler you could get better results.

Jim Becker
02-08-2022, 9:52 AM
I would think CO2 would wake you up. CO will not. Too much CO and you look a nice healthy pink like you just did some exercise. I was told that pink glow is inside the body as well.
Bill D
Not so. Dry ice is sometimes used for humane euthanization of small animals at home in a small, enclosed space as the CO2 gas created as the material "melts" will displace oxygen from the bottom of the container upward. So it's a worthy caution that ventilation is important. Fortunately, as Lee points out, modern vehicles tend to have that handled.

Frank Pratt
02-08-2022, 12:13 PM
I would think CO2 would wake you up. Bill D

Definitely not, quite the opposite.

Jerry Bruette
02-08-2022, 12:52 PM
Bill D

CO2 is used as a fire extinguishing agent. It puts a fire out in two ways, cools the fire and displaces the oxygen. It's possible for dry ice to evaporate(sublimate) and displace the oxygen in a space or container.

Jerry Bruette
02-08-2022, 12:58 PM
I think you can find calculators online that will tell you about consumption rates vs time and temperature so you know about how much dry ice you need. If you take it on the road you should, in theory apply the appropriate DOT label to the container (though I doubt anyone one does for non-commercial shipments-- if you take it on a plane it is an absolute must). I spent a good decade of my life where I did hundreds of dry ice and liquid nitrogen shipments everywhere in the world. Insulation is your friend, get the best styrofoam box you can find. Putting a styrofoam box inside a cooler can help. Your situation sounds much easier than keeping medical samples below -80 from Mozambique to Boston on a trip that starts on a bicycle.

From the brochure of the dry ice company.
5-7# of dry ice should keep 2# of frozen food cold for 24 hours. For shipping.
A standard cooler will use 5-7# per day(18-24 hrs.)

How long will dry ice last?
5-7# 18-24 hrs.
8-12# 24-28 hrs.
13-20# 48-60 hrs.

Alan Rutherford
02-08-2022, 1:21 PM
Carbon dioxide (CO2) and carbon monoxide (CO) have very little in common as a practical matter. Carbon monoxide will kill you quietly and comfortably before you realize it's there but you would have to try hard to make that happen in a car these days. Leaving the engine running in a garage is one way. Carbon dioxide (the solid form of which is dry ice) can only kill you if you are in a closed environment such as a large storage tank where it can displace the air. It's heavier than air so it will sink to the bottom of an enclosed space. I would be extremely UNworried about having it in a car. If you manage to breathe too much CO2 you will begin breathing more heavily and are very likely to notice and feel the need for fresh air. Excess CO2 is why you pant when you exercise.

In a cooler, the frigid gas would tend to stay in the cooler because it's heavier than the air. Putting a tube in the cooler to drain the CO2 would suck ambient air into the cooler and reduce the value of the dry ice.

Roger Feeley
02-08-2022, 5:14 PM

I lived in suburban Kansas City area for 40 years. We could get it a5 the grocery store. There was this little freezer tucked in a corner so we couldn’t get a lot. I never bought more than ten pounds.

Now I live in northern Virginia and it’s the same thing here. Don’t try to get any when the power goes out. It sells out very fast.

John K Jordan
02-08-2022, 9:19 PM

Just answerin'. I asked the same question. If in doubt, just ask the local clinic. Usually they get medicines in bottles that need to be kept cold like eye drops for glaucoma patients (my wife gets these sent to her in small coolers). I'm sure the containers are as clean or cleaner inside than a cardboard shipping box. If you are imagining a container contaminated inside with leaking HIV infected blood, organs for transplant, fecal samples for analysis. or some horrible contagious pathogen from a secret research lab you can rest easy, the local doctor's office is not the market. The containers are new and immaculately clean inside. The outsides do sometimes have some FedEx truck rash. BTW, some of these come with temperature sensors to alert the recipient if the contents got too warm somewhere enroute. And remember, any frozen food you put inside you would first wrap well and put that it in a clean plastic bag or two.

The local farmer's store gets medicines for animals that go from the package into the cooler in the store. In the hot summer shipping in a well-insulated package is a precaution since you don't know how long a package will sit in a truck or depot.

Another thing I do with these and other pieces of styrofoam is give them to art classes where students cut them up and creatively reassemble and decorate. I do the same thing with wood scraps and other things. I once took them over 10,000 small cardboard microfiche boxes with lids - the art classes used them for years!

JKJ

Stan Calow
02-09-2022, 9:51 AM
Styrofoam containers is how they transport body parts for transplants, and blood.

Bill Dufour
02-09-2022, 3:26 PM
I have seen nice Aluminum army surplus coffins for sale online. They claim never been used. I keep my camping gear in similar but smaller surplus medical cases.
Bill D

Alan Lightstone
02-12-2022, 9:02 PM
Bill D

Not to pile on, but as has been said, totally false.

We measure exhaled CO2 in all patients (as well as arterial CO2 in many patients). Pretty well everyone whose CO2 rises enough loses consciousness. Typically around a PaCO2 of around 80 (with 40 being normal). It's known as CO2 narcosis. Also your body tries to compensate for the respiratory acidosis resulting from this by dumping as much bicarbonate in your bloodstream as possible, but this eventually gets overwhelmed. So you get progressively more acidotic - also not a wonderful thing.

The exercise panting example mentioned above is also incorrect, as that deals with excess arterial CO2 needing to equilibrate with inhaled CO2 (which stimulates respiratory control centers: the dorsal respiratory group in the nucleus tractus solitarius, the ventral respiratory group in the medulla, and the pontine respiratory group in the pons), but high levels of inhaled CO2 can clearly and easily overwhelm this. Heavy breathing/panting only accomplishes transferring more CO2 from the inhaled gases to your bloodstream, making things worse, not better. TL;DR yet???

Basically, don't go in a non-ventilated, small area with dry ice evaporating. And if you've ever seen the Mythbusters where they turn 2 liter plastic soda bottles into bombs with dry ice, it's very impressive and dangerous. Don't try this at home.

On my list of things to do if we get a hurricane power failure is to quickly get some dry ice from our supermarket before its all bought up. I've never had to, but I often think of it.

If you can get a vacuum sealer for the meat (like a Foodsaver), I would think you would do better (avoiding freezer burn, etc...) And a good cooler always helps.

I did a test last year with a good quality Yeti cooler and just normal large frozen ice packs with a good quality thermometer. The cooler kept at safe temperatures for over 3 days. Ah the things you do in hurricane season.

Paul Haus
02-13-2022, 4:44 AM
I used to work for a grocery wholesaler, left about 30 years ago. The casks they sent to the stores with ice cream and other frozen items were packed with dry ice and used that method for years. Sometimes if you have a cooperative store, you can get some of the dry ice used in the casks.
On a side note, dry ice can be used to take out hail dents on a vehicle. I had 2 vehicles damaged by hail and took out about 99% of the dents that way successfully. There is a trick on how to do it and unless the dent was on some of the trim or was creased in the bottom of the dent, most could be taken out with dry ice.

Curt Harms
02-13-2022, 8:57 AM
Styrofoam containers is how they transport body parts for transplants, and blood.

When I was flying 'spare parts' it was always a Playmate cooler. They may have had a styrofoam container inside, I never had the urge to open one.

Jim Becker
02-13-2022, 9:00 AM
When I was flying 'spare parts' it was always a Playmate cooler. They may have had a styrofoam container inside, I never had the urge to open one.

Curious, Curt...was that a "who's going to this city right now?" situation where you already had an existing assignment or a contracted run for that specific need? Again, just curious...

Tom Stenzel
02-15-2022, 1:58 AM
Just to pile on about breathing carbon dioxide:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51680049

The Cliff notes if you don't wish to click on the link: There was a party in Moscow where they used dry ice to cool a swimming pool off. Three people died after diving in.

-Tom

Alan Rutherford
02-15-2022, 5:30 PM
The YouTube video of this event shows a pool that might be 8 x 10 feet enclosed in a small room. When the 50+ pounds of dry ice is dumped in, the pool is hidden in a thick fog of carbon dioxide. At least one person climbs right in and disappears in the fog before briefly sticking his head above the gas. Tragic, but there is no comparison to realistic use of dry ice in a cooler in a vehicle. I would still not be worried about being in the vehicle under those circumstances but would agree that some ventilation would be a good idea and of course if someone is going to do something blatantly stupid, it can go badly.

Kev Williams
02-15-2022, 6:00 PM
After reading thru this a couple more times, I remembered a dumb thing some of us did as Boy Scouts-- one of the dads got some dry ice to keep meat frozen for a week-long camping trip. We thought it would be cool to see what cans of soda pop would do in the coolers. We found out in about 20 minutes, when the cans started exploding! --dry ice, being minus-109°, freezes water pretty quickly! :)

So with that in mind, what about placing the frozen meat in the bottom of the cooler, then add cold water to submerge it, then use dry ice to freeze the water around the meat? Then you don't have to worry about the C02 fumes. And, no need to worry about the ice messing up the ice chest, as long as there's room for it to expand upwards, it won't expand outwards. I experimented with an empty Pepsi can just to find out:

water--

frozen solid-

with the can peeled away

--the ice didn't distort the aluminum whatsover...

Just thinking out loud (uh-oh) ;)

Jerry Bruette
02-15-2022, 7:01 PM
I went to the dry ice suppliers website and they recommended putting the meat in the bottom of the cooler then a divider and then the dry ice on top. That's the method for keeping something frozen, for keeping something cold you'd put the dry ice on the bottom.

I'm going to pack the cooler with 40# of ice Wed. night then Thur. morning dump the ice and load the meat. We'll then drive to Green Bay, about 45 min., buy the dry ice and pack it on top of the meat. I also turned the freezer down as far as it will go today in hopes of keeping the meat colder.

I'll let everyone know how this trip turns out later this week.

Bert McMahan
02-16-2022, 5:54 PM
Not so. Dry ice is sometimes used for humane euthanization of small animals at home in a small, enclosed space as the CO2 gas created as the material "melts" will displace oxygen from the bottom of the container upward. So it's a worthy caution that ventilation is important. Fortunately, as Lee points out, modern vehicles tend to have that handled.

You definitely know when there's too much CO2. Your body can detect too much CO2 but not a lack of oxygen. The "I can't breathe" feeling you get is due to you not being able to evacuate CO2, not because there isn't oxygen. It might be more humane than, say, beating them to death with a shovel, but it's not painless. Nitrogen or Argon or most any other gas would be painless as you just get lightheaded then pass out. Granted, it's going to be like 1 or 2 seconds of gasping, so it's not a terribly long time to suffocate.

This is why scuba divers can't hold their breath any longer while under water than on the surface (not that you should hold your breath down there). At ~30 feet or so, you're breathing 2x more oxygen molecules per breath, so you'd think you can take 1/2 as many fewer breaths, right? Unfortunately, it's the partial pressure of the carbon dioxide that your body detects as alarming or harmful. That level increases independently of the oxygen concentration. If you can hold your breath for 30 seconds at the surface, you can hold it for 30 seconds breathing 2x the pressure of oxygen when underwater. Rebreather units take advantage of this not by adding more oxygen to the mix you're breathing, but by scrubbing out the CO2 from each breath. In effect, you breathe the same breath in and out each time. (The oxygen does deplete, so a little oxygen is added for each breath, but it's not like a normal tank where you get fresh air with each and every breath).

Jerry Bruette
02-19-2022, 7:30 PM
Well the parcel was delivered yesterday about 6pm eastern time. The dry ice did it's job. We had 22# of dry ice and could possibly have done the job with half that amount. At $1.50 a pound it was cheap insurance. Thanks for all the advice and ideas.