PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
02-06-2022, 8:56 PM
7 Feb 2022

Greetings,
I feel like I've skipped a few days but hey...I'm getting older and time seems to pass me by before I get started good. :)

Worked on my son's bed a bit, made a cutting board and work on making more cell phone stands. I don't know why, but people seem to really like this little stands for their desks. The LOML is back in college and has a full class schedule this semester. My #2 son is home from the UK and brought his future wife home with him. We've been visiting with them as their time allows and we feel that she's a keeper.

I'll try and post a shop pic or 2 next week as time allows.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Lisa Starr
02-07-2022, 5:26 AM
I finished up the pre-finish work on the towel cubby from reclaimed lumber this week and got it assembled. Then I cut and assembled the face frame and started the pre-finish on that. I also worked on a jig/accessory for the WoodRat that I want for for making the drawers on the Spool Cabinet I started over a year ago. I hope to get back to that within the month.

Dennis, I'm glad to hear you're in your shop and making stuff. Enjoy your time with your son and his future intended while they're here.

Jim Becker
02-07-2022, 9:27 AM
Sounds like you had a great week, Dennis!

The major accomplishment this past week was getting the ventilation hood physically installed in the kitchen and the delivery and installation of the new induction range. I'm in heaven with the latter..."just wow". It feels good to be back to having the ability to control things while cooking, something that's been missing for over 8 months since we moved here. (I have more comments in the Induction Range thread in OT) The new range is a Café and definitely an "It slices, it dices, it julians" tool. :D

Before:

After:

There will be a stainless backsplash going in as soon as it's received and this week my goal is to get the ventilation duct work completed to the outside. The hood is from Hauslane and is really nicely designed.

The whole house generator project is also initiated. I managed to get the permit in two days and the contractor has his deposit. Next up is to get a surveyor out so I can start working on the zoning application for the shop building, something that's going to take some time. Once it starts to warm up a little, i can probably get back to some things in the temporary shop, but lately that's been an uncomfortable environment.

Eugene Dixon
02-07-2022, 9:58 AM
Finally finished the owner's closet. Big ones (2 closet rods) are 30X24X81. Shelving (adjustable) units are 16X24X81. Under the window units are 24X24X60. Popular face frames, 3/4" maple plywood carcass. SW lacquer mixed to match other cabinets in the house. Took too long to finish but this is my first real "flat work".

All moved in to the closet now. Anyone need 8 wardrobe boxes?

C&C welcomed.

Pat Rice
02-07-2022, 10:15 AM
Was at my sister’s house on Christmas and opened one of her 30+yr old kitchen drawers, it was in rough shape and old slides fairly worn out. Being a good brother I offered to build new draw boxes and put in full extension side mount slides. 15 drawers later I got all but 4 installed this weekend. Fitting new drawers in cabinets that were not built that well to begin with is really a pain, but they came out nice. As a hobbyist I counted how many drawers I have made since 2017, was amazed that I have made 192 drawers since then.
. 473390

Jim Becker
02-07-2022, 7:17 PM
Eugine, those look GREAT!!!!!

Paul F Franklin
02-07-2022, 8:32 PM
I got all the backsplash tile set. Good thing I'm not paying myself by the hour! The tile we chose is a largish mosaic made from 1 1/4 x 4 tiles. Made for a lot of fussy cuts around the receptacles, but I got it done. 2/3 of the tiles are glass but 1/3 are marble, so I have to seal the marble tiles before grouting so they don't stain. And I will caulk the corners before grouting too. But should get the grouting done in the next few days. The punch list on the kitchen is getting short!

Jim, we chose a hauslane hood also; it's a nice hood (while of course). I wish the default on the turn off delay was more like five minutes instead of 3, but that's a tiny gripe. It's quiet enough that my wife actually uses it, so a big win.

[eta:] Pat, nice job on the drawers! 192 for a non pro is a *lot* of drawers. Eugene, kudos on the closets...big project, nicely done.

Jim Becker
02-08-2022, 9:48 AM
Paul, the Hauslane hood is a fine piece of equipment..and can really move the air. Kudos to them for including the build in backflow gate in the round outlet, too. My singular complaint is that it does not support 24 hour clock...verified by their chat operator. It's a little thing, however. I did get the stainless steel backsplash up yesterday when it arrived so the physical change is completed other than the vent dust work which I'm about to start on (literally) today.