PDA

View Full Version : Router in TS wing

John Gregory
01-17-2006, 5:59 PM
I am trying to decided whether to move my router to my TS wing or not. The reason is to make some room for a stand for my Drum sander.
My question is for those of you that have a router in your TS wing. What are the pros and cons? If shop space was not an issue, I believe that it would be nice to have every device on it's own stand. But most of us have limited shop space. I have two options

1. Build an flip top stand for my Planer and the Drum sander.
2. Place the router in the TS wing and the Drum sander will have it's own stand.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

John

scott spencer
01-17-2006, 6:08 PM
Hi John - I've been using TS mounted RTs for a couple of years now to save space...that's the primary incentive. It's also easy to use the main fence as a subfence, plus there's the advantage of having some extra table space for the saw when the router's not in use. The downside is storage and DC, but I built a roll in cabinet for mine that helps with DC and adds a little storage. If I had the space I'd go with a free standing RT, but I don't, so the saw mounted RT is working out pretty well.

Earl Reid
01-17-2006, 7:20 PM
Hi, John
I've had 2 routers in my TS for many years and it works out very well, I seldom use the one on the right side. It saves some room in the shop.
Earl

Mike Henderson
01-17-2006, 10:24 PM
I have my router mounted in the wing of my table saw. I have a tiny shop (about 117 square feet) so I really had no option. I've used regular router tables and see no operational disadvantage to having the router as part of the table saw - in fact, the large space of the table saw top is nice. The only issue is that I can only use one at a time. If I'm in the middle of routing and need to cut some more wood, I generally have to tear down the router setup to do the cut.

All-in-all, I'm quite happy with the setup.

Mike

Guy Germaine
01-18-2006, 7:21 AM
I'm quite happy with my TS mounted router as well. I can slide the Beis fence over and use it with the router (as long as I don't have to embed the bit! :eek: ) In that case, I have another fence the I just clamp in place. I had a cheapie Craftsman router table that I built a cabinet for, and wound up never using it. It's just handier for me to have the router in the TS. I wound up taking the router table off the cabinet and mounting my 10" band saw on it.

Nathan Hoffman
01-18-2006, 7:35 AM
I have the router on the right side of my TS as well, and it certainly does save space, but I am looking into building a dedicated router table. Maybe I just don't plan well enough, but it seems that I always need to do a rip cut halfway through running a stack of wood through the router. Just my $.02.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-18-2006, 8:54 AM
I have both and the TS extension has much better dust collection than the freestanding table....at least until I build the cabinet under it. It also creates another work surface and in my16x20 shop, that's a plus!

Ed Frie
01-18-2006, 9:19 AM
I have the Benchdog TS extension router table and love it. An easy bolt-on, it has a good fence plus you have the option to use the TS fence. Also, you have a nice large surface for the work piece.

John Gregory
01-18-2006, 9:31 AM
One of the issues that I worried about was having the router set up and needing to use the TS. However the router bit will about 24" to the right of the TS blade, so I am hoping that the problem will not exist too often. For DC I bought this (http://www.woodpeck.com/downdraft.html) sometime ago on sale from Woodpecker for $59.

Thanks for the comments.

Tyler Howell
01-18-2006, 9:40 AM
I put mine in my old Cman TS wing and kept the saw just for the router table and Bies fence (Nobody wanted the saw:( ) After upgrading to a PM66. Works good and you need a new Toyl.

Jeff Eiber
01-18-2006, 10:36 AM
I have my router on the right side of my TS with a sliding table on the left. If I ever redo this set up I would mount the router on the left side of the TS so I could use the TS outfeed table for outfeed support for the router. I agree with the others that the router setup occasionally gets in the way of using the TS.

Andy Fox
01-18-2006, 12:52 PM
I built a router cabinet on casters and realized I didn't quite have space for it in my garage (now smaller basement) shop. I raised my table saw up to just above the router cabinet surface, and the router cabinet is now a great mobile outfeed table.

I have a 32" Bies. fence, and I just wouldn't like having the router in the way when I want to maintain a setup while also using the saw.

Edit: I would choose option #1.

Chiz Eisenhuth
01-18-2006, 5:35 PM
I was able to scavange some laminated particleboard from a CVS drug store closing so I can finally built this table (with a bit of support for the particleboard!). I designed a dust collection box for the underside of the table but was wondering about the top side. Where do you get the best collection - top or bottom? Or is this like the TS - you really need both.

TIA,
Chiz

Jim Becker
01-18-2006, 5:47 PM
I don't have this arrangement...it would be interefered with by my overarm guard/collector and also make placement of the saw difficult in my shop. I also like the fact that my free-standing (mobile) router table is also available as extra outfeed surface, assembly space, etc. But in many shops, my space issues would not apply.

Mark Carlson
01-18-2006, 6:14 PM
I had a seperate woodpecker router table until I bought a cabinet saw. I couldn't fit both so I mounted the router table in the right side extension. I tosssed the extension table that came with the saw. I like this setup better. Much bigger table area. I can use the outfeed table for router operations. I can use the B-meyer fence or the Incra TS fence depending on what I need to do. Its the best of both worlds.

~mark

Tom Donalek
01-18-2006, 6:20 PM
With the bolt-on Bench Dog table, do you need to put in come 'cross bracing' down to the frame of the Table Saw, or does it cantilever well enough with just the bolts and the fence rail(s)?

Randy Davidson
01-18-2006, 6:26 PM
I also had a router table (Craftsman I was not happy with) that was hard for me to store in my small shop. I detached the router table from the stand and bolted it on the right side of my Ridgid 3650. I also remove the switch from the stand and bolted it to the end of the table totally out of the way. If for some reason the router is in the way I just lift it out. It's a PC 690 and does not weigh much and is easily removed.

Ken McColly
01-18-2006, 6:33 PM
John - I have my contractor saw mounted in a 4x8 table with my router in a lift on the right end. Bies fence full length. Box under the router and shop built router fence allow for dust collection. I like the system but next year I am going to spring for a cabinet saw which will be mounted left in the table, and I will move the contractor saw to the right and use it as a dedicated dado setup. Router will then move to a stand alone cabinet.

Ken

Bob Nieman
01-18-2006, 10:12 PM
I had a bonus coming this month and thought I would get the Bench Dog table for my Ridgid saw. I am really cramped for room and cannot possibly put a free standing table in my shop. Amazon had it at a smoking price, or so I thought (I have had it in my shopping cart for over a year). Right before I got my bonus it (of course) went back to normal. I was surprised to see it drop down immediately so I was ready to pounce on it.

Nope. None in stock and it doesn't look like they will have it stock. I noticed most of their Bench Dog items are out of stock--maybe it is similar to the Tormek deal. The funny thing is, the price has continued to go up and down, despite having none in stock!

Unfortunately I decided to be more beneficent and purchased a camera instead (which we needed as a family). Before I spent it all I thought about the Rockler or Woodpecker tables, but they aren't metal. I will have to wait for more money to come my way or do some research on the alternatives. I did buy an Incra Miter Gauge (1000SE) which I am waiting for impatiently.

My birthday is coming up though....

Jim Young
01-18-2006, 11:03 PM
If I had to do it again I would put the router in the TS extension. Of course it would still have to be boxed for dust collection. Even though my shop has plenty of space I wouldn't mind opening it up a little more.

John Gregory
01-19-2006, 11:29 AM
After reading all of these posts, I think putting the router in the TS wing is a good idea for our space challenged shops. And since my TS is centered in the shop, I will gain more infeed/outfeed when using the router.

I have attached a picture of my TS setup. Since the picture was taken I have shifted my rails to the right. I will replace the two iron web wings with formica covered ones that I will make. As you can see, I did make some inserts from hardboard to fill in the web area, but I still hate the web wings.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Good choice John...I hate webbed wings too!!