PDA

View Full Version : wood movement, is this normal?

Brian Runau
02-06-2022, 10:37 AM
This is quarter sawn white oak. It's been in the shop for months. Jointed one face and cut it in half. It moved over 1/8". Is this normal for quarter sawn? thanks brian

Richard Coers
02-06-2022, 10:49 AM
White oak is extremely difficult to kiln dry because of the tylosis in the cells. Bound water is hard to get through the wood. Any tree can have any amount of stress in it based on where it grew. Leaning trees are the perfect example. But in most cases, white oak movement comes from improper kiln drying processes.

Kevin Jenness
02-06-2022, 10:52 AM
It's unusual for pieces ripped in half not to move to some degree, depending on a lot of factors including acclimation, grain orientation, inherent stress due to tree growth conditions and kilning. The most stable wood I have worked with is wood that was air dried, then dried slowly in a solar kiln, then sat around in the shop for a while, but there are still some wild cards.

Ron Citerone
02-06-2022, 11:18 AM
White oak is extremely difficult to kiln dry because of the tylosis in the cells. Bound water is hard to get through the wood. Any tree can have any amount of stress in it based on where it grew. Leaning trees are the perfect example. But in most cases, white oak movement comes from improper kiln drying processes.

Interesting insight. I have had more problems with White Oak than other native hardwoods. I also think rules of thumb about acclimation need some ajustment for species.

Andrew Seemann
02-06-2022, 12:16 PM
That isn't too bad for white oak. I've had boards of various species that have been in the shop for years, even decades, do that. Where I am at, the RH changes so much, nothing really ever reaches equilibrium with the environment, and even if it did, the environment would just change again.

Brian Runau
02-06-2022, 12:35 PM
Thanks men. Brian