PDA

View Full Version : Free, five gallon buckets this weekend at Horrible Fright.

Bill Dufour
02-05-2022, 4:09 PM
Horror fright has a deal this weekend spend $26 get a free five gallon bucket with their name on it. $26 dollars is one or two sawblades. It is cheaper for me to buy a 12" blade from HF then to get them sharpened at 30 cents/tooth.
Bill D

Michael Schuch
02-05-2022, 4:56 PM
There is no way I was going to use my Freud Ultimate Cut Off blade to install silicon impregnated prefinished flooring so I bought a HF cut off blade. Not only did it do a very good job on the flooring it also is a very decent cut off blade even after a couple thousand sq feet of prefinished engineered flooring.

John K Jordan
02-06-2022, 11:19 AM
Horror fright has a deal this weekend spend $26 get a free five gallon bucket with their name on it…

For anyone needing 5 gallon buckets try contacting a drywall finishing contractor. I stopped and asked a local company and they gave me at least 25 buckets. I use a lot of buckets around the farm.

I had to rinse them out but that was quick.

JKJ

roger wiegand
02-06-2022, 2:05 PM
Is there such a thing as a five gallon bucket that's not free? (Yes, I know you pay for the bucket as well as the paint or mud or whatever that's in it, but you know what I mean.) Around here they accumulate until I'm always falling over one and then a pile get sent off to the recyclers.

Alex Zeller
02-06-2022, 9:48 PM
For anyone needing 5 gallon buckets try contacting a drywall finishing contractor. I stopped and asked a local company and they gave me at least 25 buckets. I use a lot of buckets around the farm.

I had to rinse them out but that was quick.

JKJ

The easiest way I found to wash them out is to put about a gallon of water in them, snap the cover on, and let it roll around in the bed of a pickup for a trip or two. Works with drywall mud and water base paint.

johnny means
02-07-2022, 2:18 AM
I stay away from 5 gallon buckets that weren't used to ship product. They're garanteed to be made as cheaply as the manufacturer thought they could be made and still resemble a bucket. Generally, I find, the more expensive the product contained within the bucket the better the bucket.

Ole Anderson
02-07-2022, 8:31 AM
If you have to buy something first, then they aren't free. Cost is built into what ever you had to buy.

Ronald Blue
02-07-2022, 8:54 AM
For some reason this bucket discussion made me think of this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A20QQSZsv4E

Edward Weber
02-07-2022, 11:18 AM
You guys all know not all 5 gallon buckets are created equal. Around here the only buckets that last outside are black (I've done tests)
All other colors get brittle and crack. I also purchase the food grade ones with the gasket in the lid.
They cost more but you don't lose product and they last, how long i don't know, they're still going where all the others have been long gone
That's just my experience, YMMV

John K Jordan
02-07-2022, 12:10 PM
You guys all know not all 5 gallon buckets are created equal. Around here the only buckets that last outside are black (I've done tests)
All other colors get brittle and crack. ...

You are right about that. I've noticed anything made of white plastic eventually degrades outside while black (the best), red, and even blue last much longer. I don't know why but I'm imagining it might be UV can penetrate deeper in white.

I like to keep buckets in the barn out of the sun. The white plastic lube water tank on the top of the sawmill will degrade in a few years unless covered.

BTW, I put buckets with a crack on the bottom to good use since they have a built-in rainwater drain. For example, I use them for scrap nails, small PT wood pieces, and to hold brushes for cleaning watering troughs. I also have a nice 30gal galvanized can with a hole in the bottom - that holds bailing twine cut off square bales until I get enough to fill a trash bag.

JKJ

Zachary Hoyt
02-07-2022, 1:30 PM
We have used buckets in the garden for years, mostly to collect rocks till there are enough to fill up a wheelbarrow and get hauled away. They do degrade after a while, but will last a few years. Cracked ones are good for this too since they don't fill up with water. I have sometimes found joint compound buckets on the curb and picked them up. We have a white plastic 55 gallon barrel that has been out in the sun catching rainwater that comes off the roof, and it has been doing fine for maybe 10 years now. I think it must be a different kind of plastic.

George Yetka
02-07-2022, 1:46 PM
No one ever leaves me in piece with my buckets. I do my best to have a dozen or so. and keep at least 4 clean to pack with tools when going around the house or elsewhere. But inevitably people will walk past my stack of dirty buckets and find the one that is sparkling with how clean it is and use it for picking up the dog poop/mixing cement/ etc. Most of the time I have to rotate them to my office shop and get myself new ones.

I usually grab one everytime I go to HD for multiple small items because their bags are aweful

Ronald Blue
02-07-2022, 1:47 PM
It's definitely the UV that affects plastic. We used black cable ties because they lasted much better than the white/light colors.

Edward Weber
02-07-2022, 1:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'll never turn down a free bucket and I'll use them until it's no longer possible.
If I'm buying them, I go with the good quality black ones.

Alex Zeller
02-07-2022, 9:08 PM
I'm sure there's still some free ones around but I see them being sold on Craig's list so I assume that those selling them know where to go to get the free ones. In the past I have gotten free 50 gallon plastic barrels used for shipping things like peppers from overseas to a food supplier. They would just leave them out in an area where anyone could take them. Then I saw one in a ditch on the interstate (I assume it flew out of a pickup) and then the company changed it's policy. I did make a few composters for friends.