PDA

View Full Version : Switching paint half way through project?

Joshua Bass
02-04-2022, 3:51 PM
I am halfway through painting my built in home theater system with Benjamin Moore Advance. Long story short I cant get this paint locally right now and ran out. I need another gallon and it has been out of stock for weeks and they don't plan on getting more in for several weeks maybe months. I can't leave my living room in the current state and wife wants it done ASAP.

What issues will I run into changing to something like SW Emerald? I would add another 2 coats on top of what is already there. Would I need to let the BM cure for the full month it typically takes? or can I scuff sand and go right into the next coat? Will there be any adhesion problems between the 2? They are both alkyd based I think?

John TenEyck
02-04-2022, 4:39 PM
If you are referring to Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel I think you could put it over the Advance right away, after scuff sanding. I'd do a quick test panel to make sure, but I think they will be compatible. You're going to love the Emerald product. It sprays great for me with 10% thinning with water, at least as well as Advance. And it dries and cures much faster.

John

Jim Becker
02-04-2022, 4:44 PM
If the SW will go on top of the Advance, than I'd be inclined to wait. (These two products are different, although they are used in similar situations) Advance takes awhile to cure for sure. I would personally do the skuff. One other thing, there may be a difference in sheen so take that into account for where you want/need the break to be between work already completed with the Advance and new work that will be the SW Emerald Urethane. This is opinion and speculation, but were I in the situation, that's probably how I'd handle it.