PDA

View Full Version : TPI/Width etc.

Jack Wood
01-17-2006, 4:10 PM
I have a Jet 18" BS that uses 137" blades and I went to the Suffolk site and got confused(not a rare thing:D ) I mainly do re-sawing, I have a 12" Delta for detail work, so what TPI width would be a good choice for my Jet? I saw all kinds of wood, I grab what ever is offered to me for free and I pick up off the street wood(I have a metal detector) Another question is about those blade lube sticks, do they work? And whether I should round off the back of the blade as I have seen some people talk about?

And I want to express my appreciation of this forum and what it means to me. I like knowing that this good source of info and advice is here for us to use, it's one of the really good things about the internet so "keep on postin' on!" :)

tod evans
01-17-2006, 4:14 PM
jack, for resawing i wouldn`t go any finer than a 3-4 tooth blade.....02 tod

lou sansone
01-17-2006, 5:09 PM
Yep what tod said. I believe I have really liked the 3/4 " 3tpi AS-S
version

lou

Perry Holbrook
01-17-2006, 7:59 PM
I've got an older 18" Jet BS with the 133" blades. After going thru several Timberwolf and Wood Slicer blades, I took the plunge to an 1/2" Trimaster blade for resawing and other work. The blade is about a year old now and is still cutting as good as the new Timberwolf blades ever did. I am full time in the shop and use my BS more than any other saw in the shop.

Perry

Jim Becker
01-17-2006, 9:13 PM
Jack, talk to the folks at Suffolk on the phone, tell them what you want to do and they will help you select the right blades for the work. I do agree with Perry that for resawing dry wood, the Trimaster (carbide tipped) is worth the investment over time since they often last for years, but the up-front cost is dear...I'm glad I have one. For resawing wet wood, the Timberwolf AS series is the way to go...a little thicker and nicely agressive.

glenn bradley
04-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Kind of a side question on your post Jack. What are you using for a metal detector? I've heard as much bad as good about the Lumber Wizard and am unaware of any other detectors out there short of the airport security variety.

Thanks!

P.s. Anybdy else got a thought on MD's?

John Bush
04-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Hi Glenn,
I was doing a lot of resawing of old barn beams and was too cheap to invest in a metal detector. As you can imagine I hit a cut nail(soft metal) and it exploded in my face. I didn't need an MD( Physician) thank goodness, but I did order an MD the next day. This was before they were marketed to the WW community, so I got mine thru a security supply company. I got a Garret that resembles an old fraternity paddle, and it is remarkably senitive. I have found 22 cal. slugs deep in the wood as well a BB shot(copper). The ferrous oxide from rusty nails will even register. I think I paid ~~$100 6+ years ago and have used it tons of times with great success. I'm not sure how the technology differs from the less costly variety but it still is less than a new carbide blade or the cost of an eye patch! Good luck. JCB