PDA

View Full Version : Help with INCRA Miter Gauge 1000SE

Kurt Wyberanec
02-03-2022, 6:21 PM
Hey guys, have an INCRA 1000SE and the little adjustment discs on the slide to fix play are stuck. They've worn a tiny bit and now have a flat spot so need to be rotated and I can't free them up no matter how hard I try. They don't show any rust but are simply stuck. The big issue is the tiny allen head screw, it's so small that if I twist too hard it just snaps a wrench. If anyone has had this issue and solved it, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Doug Garson
02-03-2022, 6:27 PM
Haven't had that problem but if I did I'd try some penetrating oil, leave it a few hours and if that didn't work a heat gun. You could also contact Inca for advice.

Kurt Wyberanec
02-03-2022, 6:31 PM
Haven't had that problem but if I did I'd try some penetrating oil, leave it a few hours and if that didn't work a heat gun. You could also contact Inca for advice.

Some some penetrating stuff...no dice...but heat gun, that's interesting...I would think heat might make the metal expand....wouldn't cold be better? But I'll try it!! :)

Doug Garson
02-03-2022, 8:44 PM
Both heat and cold can work. If the parts are seized together, heating or cooling can cause expansion or contraction, if the pieces expand or contract slightly different amounts that can be enough to break the seal.

Marc Fenneuff
02-04-2022, 12:44 AM
You can get replacement parts very reasonably from Incremental Tools (https://www.incrementaltools.com/category_s/349.htm).

William Lessenberry
02-04-2022, 1:07 AM
Had this problem myself. Bought an Allen head socket that fit the screw, already had a hand impact driver and adapters to fit the socket, whacked the driver with a hammer and instant release.
BillL

Anuj Prateek
02-04-2022, 2:51 AM
Hey guys, have an INCRA 1000SE and the little adjustment discs on the slide to fix play are stuck. They've worn a tiny bit and now have a flat spot so need to be rotated and I can't free them up no matter how hard I try. They don't show any rust but are simply stuck. The big issue is the tiny allen head screw, it's so small that if I twist too hard it just snaps a wrench. If anyone has had this issue and solved it, I'm all ears. Thanks!

This happened with me with newly bought 1000SE. I ended up cutting the disc off. Screw came out without trouble after that. I replaced it with a included spare.

Harvey Miller
02-04-2022, 9:11 AM
Some some penetrating stuff...no dice...but heat gun, that's interesting...I would think heat might make the metal expand....wouldn't cold be better? But I'll try it!! :)

Loctite sells Freeze & Release spray. It reportedly works well on small bolts (but isn't effective on larger ones, say 1/4")

Howard Rosenberg
02-04-2022, 5:34 PM
Instead of wrestling with the Allen key to LOOSEN the head, try turning it to TIGHTEN it.

Counter-intuitive, yes, but it works most of the time.

Might be worth giving it a shot.

Kurt Wyberanec
02-10-2022, 3:22 PM
Well, I tried the heat gun, and I don't know if that did it, because I was able to finally break them loose!! I did trying going in both directions first Howard, unfortunately didn't do it.

They still didn't break free easily, but with a little leverage was finally able to swap out those discs and put new ones in. Hopefully they'll last another 10 years in this spot LOL.

Thanks guys!

Tom M King
02-10-2022, 7:39 PM
https://logrite.com/Item/precision%20oiler Never seen anything this wouldn't work with getting something unstuck. The precision tip keeps from making a mess on tiny stuff.