PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying wood trim

Mike Geig
02-03-2022, 7:36 AM
Howdy, I am looking to identify what type of wood was used for this trim and molding. I am planning to make a wood paneled wall to match. Any help would be appreciated. I think it's maple, but I cannot tell if maybe it is pine?

Maurice Mcmurry
02-03-2022, 8:15 AM
Looks like stained poplar to me. I will look on the big PC monitor later. If you can expose an un-finished backside or end it might help you.

Lee Schierer
02-03-2022, 8:16 AM
It appears to be yellow poplar or possibly soft maple, but my first inclination was poplar. Poplar would take a more uniform stain than soft maple.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-03-2022, 8:28 AM
Agree, poplar. Close to soft maple, easy to tell by looking at the instained back if you can see some. Either would work as a replacement, poplar stains far better IMHO.

Jared Sankovich
02-03-2022, 8:39 AM
I'll agree with yellow poplar. Soft maple would have less "fuzz" in the grain structure.

Mike Geig
02-03-2022, 9:21 AM
Thanks everyone! I can't see an unstained side yet. It is in a home I am buying, and since I don't own it yet I can't imagine they'd be pleased with me tearing at it :)

I've never worked with poplar so I wasn't sure of how it looked stained, but that makes a lot of sense.

Follow up question: Since I want to make a wood paneled wall that matches, should I make the wall out of Poplar or go with a more classical hardwood? I'm not even sure if I can find poplar ply for the larger segments

Rob Luter
02-03-2022, 9:27 AM
Another vote for poplar. It's very common in molding. Takes stain and paint really well too.

Jim Becker
02-03-2022, 9:40 AM
I agree with the others...yellow poplar that's been colored.

And yellow poplar is one of the easiest species to come by in the east...and at reasonable cost, too.