PDA

View Full Version : Diablo Ultimate Cutoff miter saw blade

Michael Fink
02-02-2022, 9:26 PM
Wow, I didn't know what I was missing. Changed out my several year old blade on my Hitachi 12" slider today for the "Ultimate Cutoff". PN for my saw is LU85R012.

Holy smokes, what a difference. The moment I pulled the trigger on the saw, it was instantly different. Yes, before it even hit the wood; the sound was totally different (and FAR less ear shattering/annoying). It seems like the saw is about 1/2 as loud. I have no idea how, but I'm not imagining it, my wife came in the shop and, not being a tool person, when she heard me use the saw tonight her first question "What's wrong with it". She noticed it on the first cut and thought it was broken it was so different sounding.

The cuts are, unsurprisingly, very smooth. Also, seem a bit more true; I think there's a bit less flex in this blade compared to my old one. But the sound, my goodness, if I'd known I could shut the saw up like this when I got it, I would have used the blades as a throwing star or target and immediately changed it out to this one.

The only downside so far, it's not cheap. Close to Forrest prices for a "normal" blade. Super happy with it so far though, if it doesn't explode off the arbor tomorrow, I'm going to consider this a fantastic upgrade. I came inside tonight and the Freud blade for my track saw; no idea if it's going to be any good, but, given what they can do for a miter saw, I'm hopeful I'll get an upgrade there too as well.

When I changed my Sawstop over to a Forrest, it was noticeably better. This is MUCH more noticeable. Granted, my miter saw blade was much older, so there's always that old/new gap, but I'm confident the saw was never this quiet.

Dave Sabo
02-02-2022, 10:23 PM
Where are you finding 12” x 100t +/- Forrest blade for close to $120 ?

Robert Engel
02-03-2022, 6:32 AM
The Forrest blades I’ve looked at are more like $175.

I had one once that made a ear splitting shrieking noise. Can’t remember brand….

Rich Engelhardt
02-03-2022, 8:40 AM
I came inside tonight and the Freud blade for my track saw; no idea if it's going to be any good, but, given what they can do for a miter saw, I'm hopeful I'll get an upgrade there too as well.Just curious - which track saw? I was super pleased with the blade on my Festool - but - my Makita hasn't quite bowled me over.

Brian Tymchak
02-03-2022, 10:48 AM
Wow, I didn't know what I was missing. Changed out my several year old blade on my Hitachi 12" slider today for the "Ultimate Cutoff". PN for my saw is LU85R012.

Holy smokes, what a difference. The moment I pulled the trigger on the saw, it was instantly different. Yes, before it even hit the wood; the sound was totally different (and FAR less ear shattering/annoying). It seems like the saw is about 1/2 as loud. I have no idea how, but I'm not imagining it....

Small point - the PN you provide is for the Freud Industrial blade which is quite a bit better in quality that the Diablo blade you mention in the title.

Re blade noise - I read a few years ago when I was blade shopping that the curly q laser cuts in the blade plate somehow reduce the high frequency noise generally given off by saw blades. Don't know how but I also noticed the significant drop in noise when I put my first Freud Industrial blade on.

Michael Fink
02-03-2022, 12:06 PM
Where are you finding 12” x 100t +/- Forrest blade for close to $120 ?

Close to price, not equal. :) The Forrest is more, for sure. That's what I was going to get but the Forrest is out of stock everywhere forever apparently. Blame COVID I guess. I suspect the Forrest would be as good in cutting, I can't imagine how it could be better, but maybe it would last longer/take more resharpening? Don't know, I'm thrilled with my WWII on the table saw, so I'm a big fan of Forrest, I considered this blade a compromise, but darn, it's really very, very nice.

Small point - the PN you provide is for the Freud Industrial blade which is quite a bit better in quality that the Diablo blade you mention in the title.

Apologies, the PN given is the blade that I have. I find Freud's branding somewhat confusing.

Just curious - which track saw? I was super pleased with the blade on my Festool - but - my Makita hasn't quite bowled me over

Makita (SP600J, IIRC). Using the stock blade, and I'm happy with the saw, but I do think the blade could be better. Guess I'll find out soon as I ordered the Freud blade for that too after seeing what a change it made for my miter saw.

Re blade noise - I read a few years ago when I was blade shopping that the curly q laser cuts in the blade plate somehow reduce the high frequency noise generally given off by saw blades. Don't know how but I also noticed the significant drop in noise when I put my first Freud Industrial blade on

I don't know how, but it's amazing how different it is, that I can tell you. I had read in their material that it's quieter, but honestly, marketing is so much BS anymore I just figured it was another make believe benefit. It's not.

Dave Sabo
02-03-2022, 5:29 PM
Um, I don’t consider $200 close to $120, but I guess we can differ on that.

Rick Potter
02-04-2022, 3:40 AM
Just a note on those anti vibration laser cuts mentioned above. Yes, they really make a difference.

A while back, I put a new blade on my 12" RAS, fired it up and it just screamed. To make the story short, I had used a blade stiffener like always, and noticed it covered up the ends of the laser slots on this new blade. Took off the stiffener, and the saw was quiet again.

Unbelievable difference.

Maurice Mcmurry
02-04-2022, 8:15 AM
Diablo blades are the best I have ever used. I use a 7 1/4 inch 40 tooth in the table saw for small parts. They come off the saw looking like they have been sanded to 220 grit.

Bobby Robbinett
02-04-2022, 8:54 AM
Diablo blades are all thin kerf. Not the best by far, and not much meat to sharpen when they get dull. On the other hand Freud and Forrest are much better. They can be sharpened many times. Especially a Forrest.

Dave Sabo
02-04-2022, 1:52 PM
Diablo blades are all thin kerf. Not the best by far, and not much meat to sharpen when they get dull. On the other hand Freud and Forrest are much better. They can be sharpened many times. Especially a Forrest.

For you perhaps.

Diablo's aren't designed or priced with multiple sharpenings in mind. Does than make them inferior ? Depends on your measuring criteria. If they cut as smoothly and cleanly as your beloved forrest then not really. What if your forrest isn't available - a real issue. Then a Diablo I can have today becomes vastly superior. ;)

Do you shave ?
Do you use a straight razor that needs sharpening and honing ? Or, do you use an "inferior" disposable razor ? :confused:

Maurice Mcmurry
02-05-2022, 7:12 AM
I have abandoned my thrifty upbringing and caved in to the new economics of Home Depot. In our town over the last 40 years all 3 sharpening shops have closed. One due to suicide. My biggest saw is only 2 hp, the thin kerf is helpful.

Rod Wolfy
02-05-2022, 3:59 PM
It took me a year of living 2 miles from a Home Depot (instead of 16) for me to realize that Diablo was just a cheap version of Freud, designed for the weekend DIY homeowner. Which means that when I want a couple of blades for my 6¼" 18v saw I grab them at HD. When I want a nice 12" for my chop saw, I order a Freud. The same for my router bits.

Michael Drew
02-06-2022, 12:10 PM

Holy smokes, what a difference. The moment I pulled the trigger on the saw, it was instantly different. Yes, before it even hit the wood; the sound was totally different (and FAR less ear shattering/annoying). It seems like the saw is about 1/2 as loud. I have no idea how, but I'm not imagining it, my wife came in the shop and, not being a tool person, when she heard me use the saw tonight her first question "What's wrong with it". She noticed it on the first cut and thought it was broken it was so different sounding.

The cuts are, unsurprisingly, very smooth. Also, seem a bit more true; I think there's a bit less flex in this blade compared to my old one. But the sound, my goodness, if I'd known I could shut the saw up like this when I got it, I would have used the blades as a throwing star or target and immediately changed it out to this one.

The only downside so far, it's not cheap. Close to Forrest prices for a "normal" blade. Super happy with it so far though, if it doesn't explode off the arbor tomorrow, I'm going to consider this a fantastic upgrade. I came inside tonight and the Freud blade for my track saw; no idea if it's going to be any good, but, given what they can do for a miter saw, I'm hopeful I'll get an upgrade there too as well.

When I changed my Sawstop over to a Forrest, it was noticeably better. This is MUCH more noticeable. Granted, my miter saw blade was much older, so there's always that old/new gap, but I'm confident the saw was never this quiet.

Thanks for the post. I am in need of a new blade for my 12" saw and would normally default to Forrest.. Good timing.