PDA

View Full Version : Butternut Vase

Robert Mickley
01-17-2006, 2:53 PM
This was my first vase that came out right, Finished it with watco. Lined the inside with rubber tool handle stuff, so ou can actually put water in it

About 12 inches high

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-17-2006, 6:44 PM
Nice lookin' vase, Robert.

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2006, 8:21 PM
That is a beautiful vase Robert. Great work.

John Hart
01-17-2006, 8:51 PM
Pretty cool Robert. What's this rubber tool handle stuff you used?

Robert Mickley
01-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Pretty cool Robert. What's this rubber tool handle stuff you used?

I can't remeber the name of it. Lowes sells it in the paint department

Rich Stewart
01-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Great looking vase. Let us know how that rubber tool handle stuff works out. I have had several people ask me if they could put live flowers in the vase. I always advise against it as i figure the wood would surely soak the water up and rot eventually.

Mark Cothren
01-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Nice work, Robert. Would like to see a follow-up shot of it with flowers.

Thanks for the picture!

Jeff Sudmeier
01-18-2006, 11:55 AM
The rubber tool handle stuff should work to hold water, my concern would be that the evaporation of the water would cause non-coated areas of the vase to absorb water.

Great looking vase! Let us know if there are any issues you see down the road.

Ron Ainge
01-18-2006, 1:07 PM
I think you have a good looking turning there my only questions is if the rubber material used on the inside of the vase will adhere to the wood for a long period of time. In other words will it stick to the vase as it absorbs as releases the moisture as the climate changes. I hope that it will becasue it would be nice to have something we could use for fresh flower vases.

Dick Parr
01-18-2006, 2:23 PM
Great looking vase Robert.

Robert Mickley
01-18-2006, 4:32 PM
I think you have a good looking turning there my only questions is if the rubber material used on the inside of the vase will adhere to the wood for a long period of time. In other words will it stick to the vase as it absorbs as releases the moisture as the climate changes. I hope that it will because it would be nice to have something we could use for fresh flower vases.

Very good question Ron, It's been finished 2 years now. I had it a year with no problems. The Lady I sold it to hasn't complained, And trust me she would if there was a reason. I did leave the inside a little rough hoping that would help with adhesion, Was it necessary? I don't know I just did it that way

Ernie Nyvall
01-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Wow, that's a tall one Robert. Did you use a steady rest? Looks good.

Ernie