PDA

View Full Version : Keepsake Box, in Red Oak, Paul Sellers' Plans

steven c newman
02-02-2022, 8:09 AM
Had bought some "Project Boards" at Lowes, and was looking around for a Project to use some of it up. Started with a 1/2" x 5-1/2" x 48" plank. Paul Sellers had a Masterclasses Video (FREE!!!) with downloadable plans. And this is what became of that plank..plus 2 other small boards....
4" tall, not counting the feet, 6" wide on the ends, 12" long..not too fancy?
Well, there is a carved finger lift...a chain to hold the lid open, and a divider that can be removed as needed.
Simple little "bun" feet...but an end view shows off...
All 4 sides are hand planed into a curve..and the dovetails go along for the ride
Bottom and lid panels float in grooves, BTW...
2 coats of Amber Shellac for the finish...

Simple, little box...could always go back and add a felt liner..sometime...:D

David Utterback
02-02-2022, 11:20 AM
Nice work especially the joints and curved sides. The grain pattern on the back is something I would have highlighted either on the front or lid. That's just me, though. Thanks for sharing!

steven c newman
02-14-2022, 5:33 PM
Grain pattern on the back was due to a large knot being there, that loved to tear out whenever a plane would go past....Safer to have it round in back...Most of the trouble spot is right under the right-side hinge....was a bit hard to plane that area to the curve I needed.

All 4 sides were planed to a curve, before they were glued together. Just the outsides were curved, insides are straight...Dovetails were cut to conform to that curve. Ends have a shallow rebate...to help lay out the pins.