PDA

View Full Version : Best Benchtop Oscillating Spindle Sander

James Cheever
02-01-2022, 3:42 PM
All -

I have an old Delta Boss spindle sander that recently died on me.

Looking for a replacement. I don't have room (or money) for a floor mounted spindle sander so I'm looking another benchtop model. Not really looking for a convertible spindle / belt sander since I already have a large floor model belt sander.

After doing my research, I see the prices run from a few hundred dollars to more than $800, and the recommendations seem to be a bit scattered.

A lot of people seem to like the Jet, but it is near (or at) the top of the cost range.

So, what does everyone like, or really dislike (so I drop those models from consideration)?

Thanks.

Jim Becker
02-01-2022, 3:49 PM
If my BOSS died, I'd probably be considering the Triton and the Ridgid. Both have the ability to be both oscillating spindle and oscillating belt sanders with a quick changeover between those functions. They are similar in size/footprint.

Robert Hayward
02-01-2022, 4:18 PM
Be cautious with the Jet JBOS-5. The machine is a good solid machine but the spindles on mine were a different story. The spindles were out of round a small amount on mine. Try sanding a radius with an out of round spindle sometime. I was forever wanting to sand a curve that needed a spindle in a different diameter than what came with the machine. Sold it and bought a Grizzly G1071 that came with 10 spindle sizes. When I bought mine a couple years ago it was under $1k delivered.

Frank Pratt
02-01-2022, 4:54 PM
I've had a Ridgid for ages & have no complaints at all. Except for the fact that it rudely took the tip of my finger off the other day while it was running a 60 grit belt and I was being stupid. Makes typing a E, D, or C a pain.

Kris Cook
02-01-2022, 5:03 PM
I have had the Ridgid for quite a few years and it is a dependable machine. You can always leave the belt unit stowed.

Christopher Wellington
02-01-2022, 5:57 PM
I have the Jet and I like it. One of the spindles did not run true (it worked, but with an annoying vibration). Jet replaced the spindle and the new one is good.

Tom Bain
02-01-2022, 7:27 PM
I've had a Ridgid for ages & have no complaints at all. Except for the fact that it rudely took the tip of my finger off the other day while it was running a 60 grit belt and I was being stupid. Makes typing a E, D, or C a pain.

Ah yes, the 60-Grit Manicure Special … just did the same a few weeks ago with my oscillating edge sander … I feel your pain!

I should add I also have the Jet, and haven’t had any issues with it. Wish the dust collection was better, but don’t think any of the units in this price range have good dust collection.

Patrick Varley
02-01-2022, 7:53 PM
Another vote for the Rigid. But agree the dust collection isn't great.

Just to note, the "old standby" Rigid is the EB4424. They also just released the newer R4840. Haven't looked for reviews on the new model, but one major difference is that the EB4424 comes with the lifetime service agreement. The newer one comes with a 5-year warranty. Not sure what their ultimate plans are, but I wouldn't be surprised if they phased out the old model. If it's on your radar, might be worth getting one before they do.

Jim Becker
02-01-2022, 7:58 PM
Umm.....OUCH!!!!!

Wes Grass
02-01-2022, 11:41 PM
Ah yes, the 60-Grit Manicure Special … just did the same a few weeks ago with my oscillating edge sander … I feel your pain!

Ah, the quick and easy approach. I did one in with a hammer several months ago. Took several weeks for the nail to eventually come off. And another couple months for it to grow back enough that I could touch anything.

Randall J Cox
02-02-2022, 12:42 AM
I have a Jet and am happy with it. They all seem to get damaged in shipment on one bottom corner. After reading this from users, I even sent them an email imploring more packing on the bottom, sure enough, same corner damaged just like everyone else. Think they sent me a check to compensate. Randy

George Yetka
02-02-2022, 6:32 AM
The ridgid works for me as little as I use it and its light enough to throw in its cubby when not in use

Myles Moran
02-02-2022, 7:56 AM
I bought the wen which as far as I can tell is the Ridgid with a different paint job. I believe harbor freight has it's only paint job version as well now. After trying to get the lifetime service agreement registered on a different Ridgid purchase, I decided it wasn't worth it to get the Ridgid sander since they'd probably drag their feet just the same.

Dave Zellers
02-02-2022, 11:12 PM
Not really looking for a convertible spindle / belt sander since I already have a large floor model belt sander.

Another vote for the Rigid. I also have a floor model belt sander but sometimes it's a bit much for small things and I'll pop on the Rigid belt. It uses the same belts as my hand held belt sander so that's a plus.

Zachary Hoyt
02-03-2022, 8:22 AM
I have a Craftsman benchtop OSS that I bought used about 12 years ago, and which I use almost every day, sometimes heavily. I have been expecting it to die for about 10 years, but it just keeps going and going. They aren't made anymore, but still pop up used from time to time. I keep an eye on threads like this so I will have an idea what to order when I do have to replace it, but so far I haven't had to.

Kurt Wyberanec
02-03-2022, 6:14 PM
I was recently on this quest myself and I finally decided it's a tool that can get some use in my shop. I was leaning towards the JET myself (have many other JET products) and while it seems like a substantial unit and is probably great, it also seemed like a huge pricepoint difference with other options out there. I was also considering the Laguna, which I could be wrong, but I'm guessing is an Asian model. That all said, I decided to go with the WEN also....it is, as best I can tell, identical to so many other machines that are on the market (probably the Triton too) and is dirt cheap. I'm a Prime member so I bought it on Amazon for under $100 with the extra sleeve package and a belt cleaner. It has free returns, so I figured I had nothing to lose. I've used it a few times so far and overall I'm highly impressed. I don't know how long it will last, and I might make a custom table to mount it in to have more surface, but I could buy almost 10 of them for the same price as the JET. If you're not using this type of tool every day then I'd highly suggest saving some money or putting it to better use and get one of these. BTW, with a good shop vac (not my collection system) I don't have a spec of dust on the machine...for the money so far can't be beat.

Russell Hayes
02-04-2022, 9:38 AM
Whatever you buy compare the stroke length and go for more. I have the shop fox and I think it is only 5/8" stroke. If I am sanding only say 3/4 stock I am only using a small part of the abrasive. Flip it and wear on the other side but you never use but a third or so of the abrasive.

James Cheever
02-04-2022, 10:22 AM
That makes sense, Russell. Not something I'd thought about before. Thanks.

I must admit I really like the Jet but I'm still comparing models.

I'm trying to see if I can actually swing a floor model versus a benchtop unit.

Robert Hayward
02-04-2022, 4:54 PM
Whatever you buy compare the stroke length and go for more. I have the shop fox and I think it is only 5/8" stroke. If I am sanding only say 3/4 stock I am only using a small part of the abrasive. Flip it and wear on the other side but you never use but a third or so of the abrasive.
The sleeve can also be cut shorter on each end, removing the worn sections. Doing this will allow you to use the untouched center section.

andy bessette
02-05-2022, 1:07 AM
The Ryobi is a surprisingly good tool.

Rich Engelhardt
02-05-2022, 11:02 AM
The Ryobi is a surprisingly good tool.Is that a new tool?
I've never seen a Ryobi spindle sander.

andy bessette
02-05-2022, 11:13 AM
Is that a new tool?
I've never seen a Ryobi spindle sander.

Mine is ancient.

Curt Harms
02-05-2022, 12:19 PM
All -

I have an old Delta Boss spindle sander that recently died on me.

What died on the Delta Boss? If it's the gear (nylon I think) that moves the spindle up and down, Boston Gear sells replacements. Those are known to be a weak point. I don't have a part number unfortunately.

Alex Zeller
02-05-2022, 1:20 PM
A few years ago I was looking for a benchtop OSS. I kind of liked the one that had both spindles and a sanding belt. So what did I do? I got the Grizzly floor model (1071 I think). It was under a thousand but I'm sure like everything it's gone up. The only issue I've had is the Grizzly sleeves are a bit tight so they are hard to get on and off. But I've been buying replacements from Klingspor and they are slightly larger so they slide right on and when the nut is tighten they don't slip. I just wish they would label the grit on the inside of them as the medium and fine look very similar. If you can find room I would get a floor model one. Nice large table and lots of mass. I did modify the dust collection. I took a piece of 4" exhaust pipe with a magnet attached to it that I stick to the table where it's not in the way so it's sucking from underneath and on top.

andy bessette
02-05-2022, 4:05 PM
If you want a floor model, I would take a hard pass on the Grizzly. This is what I bought, used.

https://i.postimg.cc/8c3jw7pR/max-1.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Rich Engelhardt
02-05-2022, 6:31 PM
Mine is ancient.Ok - that would explain it then. Yours must go back to the days when Ryobi made decent heavy duty equipment.

Eric Cothern
02-05-2022, 8:24 PM
I got the Triton after Christmas from Rockler. I have been happy with it. The wife and I did a set of handles for some steak knives and it worked great and the dust collection did a great job.

Andrew More
02-05-2022, 8:36 PM
I gotta whatever the Rigid. I've got one, and it's been great, and I have yet to see anybody on youtube with anything else. It's a bit uncanny, like they're secretly part of an alien invasion of mind snatchers or something.

Charles Lent
02-05-2022, 9:58 PM
I bought the Triton spindle/belt sander about 4 years ago at a trade show. It has been running without problems whenever I need it since then. It was a considerable upgrade over the Ryobi spindle sander. It had the hiccups (spindle jumping up and down rapidly at random times) shortly after I bought it, and I complained to Ryobi. They sent me new gears for it, and it didn't fix the problem. It still had the hiccups, but not as often. Finally I found the Triton and bought it. I gave the Ryobi a toss into the trash bin after running the Triton a few times.

Charley

Bob Betker
03-12-2022, 2:00 PM
I need to replace the belts and sleeves on my Ridgid Spindle Sander, they are getting pretty worn. Does everyone just buy a generic brand or a name brand like Norton or Klingspor?