PDA

View Full Version : Winter Project #1: Restoring a Bailey No. 5, Type 12

James Spangler
01-31-2022, 12:03 PM
We’ve had several weeks of cold weather here in the upper Midwest, and I’ve had few honey-do projects around the house. So I’ve had extra time in the workshop in the back of the garage with the electric space heater going full-blast restoring a couple of planes.

I’ve had this one on the shelf for some time, a Bailey No. 5, Type 12 with rosewood tote and knob – missing the iron, chip breaker, lever cap, and the small screw for the tote. Otherwise in fairly good shape with little rust on one side, but quite a bit of surface rust on the other side and bottom. I’m very happy with how this restoration turned out.
I was able to replace the missing parts, and I’ll acknowledge here that yes, I am using an iron and lever cap from a newer vintage than Type 12, but they’re what I had on hand. My goal was to transform this into a good-looking user, not necessarily for the purest/collector.

When disassembling this plane, I discovered that the screw at the base of the frog holding the metal clip that hooks into the frog adjustment screw was seized. After scrubbing away rust with a wire brush and soaking with penetrating oil, I was able to remove that screw with the following rig:
Clamping the frog to the benchtop in this way allows me to use a large screwdriver with a square shank and a wrench. I lean into the screwdriver with my body weight and twist with the wrench. I’ve loosened many seized screws in this way without much muscle power.

I lap the bottom and sides of the base with zirconia alumina sanding belts cut open and clamped to a flat surface. For me, these last much longer than aluminum oxide on cast iron (the Norton Bluefire belts seem to last the longest).
I usually start with 80 grit, but will resort to 60 grit first if a lot of lapping is needed, and then step through finer grits until I get the surface I’m after. For this plane, I finished with 1000 grit silicon carbide.

If the original shellac finish on the tote and knob is still fairly nice, I’ll just clean, buff, and follow-up with paste wax. But in this case, I wanted to sand and refinish the rosewood. I’ve always hand-sanded the tote to remove the old finish and any shallow nicks, but with some arthritis in my finger joints, that’s becoming harder to do. However just recently, I’ve discovered the sanding mop which you can mount to your drill press – great for sanding contours. I first saw these in a Klingspor catalog, then found some SMC postings about them, and ended up buying the following sanding kit (from Amazon):
The company name is “Line 10 Tools, Inc.” (likely made in China) and the product seems to be well constructed and seems nearly identical to but less expensive than those sold by Klingspor. The 80 grit wheel mounted to my drill press makes quick work of sanding off the old finish, even in the deep contours of the tote, leaving my fingers pain-free. 😊
After a final sanding, I apply a coat of shellac, and then several coats of Minwax tung oil. And yes, I know this product has little or no actual tung oil, but it’s easy to apply, produces almost no streak/overlap marks, and you can add coats to increase the luster that you’re looking for.

For sharpening, I obtained a Worksharp machine to flatten/polish the back of the iron, another purchase to lessen the pain on my fingers instead of using the coarse diamond stone. (I have a love/hate relationship with the Worksharp, but once I figured out the right technique for using it and the best PSA sandpaper discs, it does a good job for me). I then use an 8” CBN wheel to hollow-grind a bevel at 25 degrees, and then several flat stones to hone and polish a secondary bevel at 30 degrees.

After all that, here are some photos of the finished plane, and a few more photos on a follow-up post.

James Spangler
01-31-2022, 12:05 PM
More photos of the restored No. 5:

steven c newman
01-31-2022, 12:12 PM
Looks good from here...had a couple smooth soled versions to clean up last year....Type 16, and a Type 19.....

Have found a wire wheel in the drill press can clean out all them grooves in the soles....before trying to lap the soles....just in case the crud hops out onto the sanding belts....

Luis Reyes
01-31-2022, 1:27 PM
wow looks nice!!

Jim Koepke
01-31-2022, 2:00 PM
Great looking work James.

Mine usually only get to the point of working well. More of a conservation than a restoration. Sometimes it is like my recent #4 rehab, where it became a Frankenplane.

What do you use on the tote & knob?

jtk

James Spangler
01-31-2022, 11:07 PM
Assuming tote & knob are rosewood, after sanding I give them one or 2 coats of shellac with fine steel wool between coats to knock off any raised grain. Using the shellac first seems to help to keep the wood from darkening too much from the next finish coat, which is Minwax tung oil. I'll give them several coats of the Minwax product, and may use steel wool again after the first coat if it feels like the grain has still raised. Usually I try to approach the luster of the original shellac finish, which is somewhat shiny. With the Minwax product, more coats add to the gloss. When finished, you can still feel the pores of the wood in your hand, which I rather like, as opposed to a thick shellac or poly coating which just feels like a chunk of plastic in your hand.
(And as I mentioned above, I acknowledge that this Minwax product apparently has very little tung oil in it, but I like it because it's easy to apply and I can get good results with it).

I really like the look of the old rosewood totes, both in shape and grain pattern. Also, since Brazilian rosewood is endangered, I feel like I accomplished something when I can restore a tool with these older and often beautiful handles and get them back into circulation.

steven c newman
02-01-2022, 10:22 AM
Careful...these can be very addicting..
All Stanley No. 5s

Jim Koepke
02-01-2022, 1:10 PM
When finished, you can still feel the pores of the wood in your hand, which I rather like, as opposed to a thick shellac or poly coating which just feels like a chunk of plastic in your hand.
[edited]
I really like the look of the old rosewood totes, both in shape and grain pattern. Also, since Brazilian rosewood is endangered, I feel like I accomplished something when I can restore a tool with these older and often beautiful handles and get them back into circulation.

Thanks for the reply James. I too like the feel and shape of the old rosewood totes.

For me an ample application of Howard's Feed-N-Wax protects the wood but maintains the feel & texture.

jtk

James Spangler
02-02-2022, 11:39 PM
So Jim, do you apply the Howard's Feed-N-Wax directly over the existing original shellac finish, or do you remove the old finish first and apply on the raw wood?

Jim Koepke
02-02-2022, 11:45 PM
The old finish is removed if it is in bad shape and then the Feed-N-Was is applied to the raw wood. As the plane gets used over time the hand tends to polish the rosewood.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
02-03-2022, 7:13 AM
Nice job. It's always satisfying to me to bring an old plane back to life like that.
Thanks for posting your rig for removing that rusted screw, too!
Fred

Luke Dupont
02-03-2022, 8:54 PM
Wow. Normally I like the beautiful bluish grey patina on old tools, but that plane is absolutely gorgeous.

Incredible work!

I think I'll never have the patience to restore my tools to that extent, lol.

James Spangler
02-03-2022, 10:27 PM
FYI, I will be putting this plane up for sale on SMC Classifieds.
Hope to have it posted there tomorrow.