PDA

View Full Version : can CA glue fll this

Justin Rapp
01-30-2022, 9:11 PM
Hi all,

Can CA glue fill this or do I need to use epoxy?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Rob Sack
01-30-2022, 9:35 PM
I have used the thick CA glue to fill holes that size. you might want to do it in layers, not all at once, and use an activator to speed up the drying. The CA seems to dry clearer and is easier to sand than epoxy.

Ed Aumiller
01-30-2022, 10:29 PM
Put in a little bit of CA... sprinkle fine sawdust of same wood... let dry... repeat until filled...

Stan Calow
01-30-2022, 10:35 PM
just don't use the thin CA glue

Justin Rapp
01-31-2022, 9:32 AM
I used the thick black CA glue with some walnut saw dust. I'll sand it down later and see how it looks, but so far it looks good. The hole is filled and just a bit of glue beaded up so hopefully it sands out nice.

Jim Becker
01-31-2022, 9:50 AM
It can be done as you noted...adding some filler helps. And doing it in steps to keep the layers thinner so they cure is a good idea. You can fill "faster" with resin, of course, but the thicker CA will work. I use black CA for smaller recesses a lot, honestly.

Dave Sabo
01-31-2022, 9:58 AM
For me personally, I don't like the look of sawdust in my filler. I think the knots look more original with the clear adhesive alone.

YMMV

Jim Becker
01-31-2022, 10:06 AM
The compromise there might be to use the dark sawdust to augment the deeper part of the fill while using just CA near the surface...make the "thick" CA thicker for the big fill, in other words, while preserving options for a clean surface. The little bits of dust may or may not be visible after finishing if they break the surface of the CA. Good thought there, Dave.

ChrisA Edwards
01-31-2022, 10:10 AM
Thank you, I learn something new everyday from this forum.

Didn't know you could get Black CA glue, cool.

Jim Becker
01-31-2022, 10:12 AM
Didn't know you could get Black CA glue, cool.

Oh, yea...it should be a "staple" product in anyone's shop as it's very handy for this kind of situation as well as others. One can easily tint resin, but CA is a different animal and it's nice to get the dark version "native".

Stan Calow
01-31-2022, 10:37 AM
Starbond also makes a brown CA which matches natural wood somewhat better.

David Jurincie
01-31-2022, 1:25 PM
I didn't know it came in colors. I just ordered black & brown!

Jim Becker
01-31-2022, 7:56 PM
Starbond also makes a brown CA which matches natural wood somewhat better.

Kewel...I missed the brown last time I ordered and will have to check that out!

Dan Hahr
02-02-2022, 1:29 PM
Here’s a cheap tip. Keep all your CA in the fridge. It will keep for years.

Dan

Alan Lightstone
02-02-2022, 1:35 PM
Here’s a cheap tip. Keep all your CA in the fridge. It will keep for years?

Dan

I have mine in a mason jar in the fridge with desiccant beads on the bottom of the jar. Has kept for several years now.

Where do you get the brown CA glue?

Stan Calow
02-02-2022, 7:36 PM
Where do you get the brown CA glue?

Starbond is one brand. https://starbond.com/collections/ca-glue Avail through Amazon if necessary.