PDA

View Full Version : I want to make my own silicone spatulas

Dennis Peacock
01-30-2022, 5:48 PM
Has anyone here made or know how to make your own silicone spatulas? My daughter wants me to make handles for silicone spatulas and I have no idea how to make a heat resistant silicone spatula "head". Anybody done this already?

roger wiegand
01-30-2022, 6:38 PM
I've been very happy with the products and customer service from Smooth-On. I'd give them a call and ask which product to use-- they have a bewildering array.

You'll need to make or find a head shape you like, make a silicone rubber mold of it, then use a casting resin (also silicone presumably, only something that sets up harder) to make your actual product. Note it will probably be much cheaper (but much less fun) to buy a spatula and make a new handle for it.

Bruce Wrenn
01-30-2022, 8:24 PM
Note it will probably be much cheaper (but much less fun) to buy a spatula and make a new handle for it.Amen brother!

Tom M King
01-30-2022, 9:53 PM
There is all sorts of silicone mold casting stuff on Amazon. I've used it to make molds to cast window sills out of concrete that look like old wooden ones. I make new ones out of wood, wire brush the grain to look old, and pull a mold off of that. The stuff is not hard to use. It stretches like you would expect silicone to, enough to get it off the concrete. I expect you could do the reverse, and make a mold to pour the silicone in.

I have made silicone molds on non-skid on catamaran decks to match fiberglass repairs. I used dish detergent, and let it dry for a release over the good parts that I made those molds from, then pressed the silicone molds into fresh gelcoat, after rinsing off the soap, and used mold release wax on silicone before pressing it into the gelcoat. I just used silicone caulking for that, and it worked fine.

Someone probably has a youtube video on how to do it.