PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life for thermal glue sticks

Osvaldo Cristo
01-30-2022, 2:37 PM
I started on woodworking at middle of 1980s but only from the beginning of 1990s I had the opportunity to make some (business) trip every year to the USA and I started to purchase a number of tools there. On that time virtually all tools were US made.

I used today some sicks of hot melt glue I purchased on 1991 in one of my first trips to the US, actually I purchased a full box of dual temperature hot melt glue sticks at Seven Corners in Saint Paul (MN). They were made in Canada for Black and Decker. Since then I use hot melt from time to time, including today and for my surprise they work as new! I wonder their shelf life span is illimited. Great product.

I have (yet) more than one hundred sticks I guess they will be working for my lifespan. Great product.

Does anyone had problem with quality degradation of hot melt glue sticks with the time?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

johnny means
01-30-2022, 3:59 PM
Glue sticks aren't actually glue but plastic. Like most plastics, they'll lay practically forever. You could reclaim the material you just used in 50 years and it would still melt down and stuck to stuff.

Bruce Mack
01-30-2022, 4:17 PM
Osvaldo - we moved to a town west of Minneapolis in 1998 and I made a pilgrimage and many later trips to Seven Corners. It was a wonderful place, salespeople who knew this vast inventory, wooden floors, gawkers and buyers. I was mostly the former but did get a Delta 14" bandsaw on one of my visits.

Bruce Volden
01-30-2022, 6:16 PM
Osvaldo - we moved to a town west of Minneapolis in 1998 and I made a pilgrimage and many later trips to Seven Corners. It was a wonderful place, salespeople who knew this vast inventory, wooden floors, gawkers and buyers. I was mostly the former but did get a Delta 14" bandsaw on one of my visits.

I think Seven Corners is now closed--maybe some time ago even???
I always liked going there also.

Bruce

Osvaldo Cristo
01-30-2022, 6:36 PM
Glue sticks aren't actually glue but plastic. Like most plastics, they'll lay practically forever. You could reclaim the material you just used in 50 years and it would still melt down and stuck to stuff.

It makes sense. Thank you for the explanation!

John Hollaway
01-30-2022, 6:39 PM
Greetings Osvaldo, from South-Central Pennsylvania. Happy woodworking!!!

John Hollaway

Osvaldo Cristo
01-30-2022, 6:43 PM

I loved that place also. I had the opportunity to purchase some stuff there at a half dozen times. It was always a great experience.

In a world without internet as we know nowadays, their staff were crucial and their knowledge and nice availability were important to me.

I hope you also enjoy the "Ten Thousand Lake" state!

Osvaldo Cristo
01-30-2022, 6:54 PM
Greetings Osvaldo, from South-Central Pennsylvania. Happy woodworking!!!

John Hollaway

Thanks buddy!

Bruce Mack
01-30-2022, 11:30 PM
I think Seven Corners is now closed--maybe some time ago even???
I always liked going there also.

Bruce
Yes, I think ~ 6 years now.

Andrew Seemann
01-31-2022, 12:06 AM
I think it was that the land under the hardware store was worth way too much for the store above it. Kind of what happened to Youngblood lumber, except that 7 Corners was across the street from a new hockey arena.

When you entered the bottom of the store, which looked like and was an old fashioned hardware store--the kind that had everything--you never suspected the power tool Mecca that was above. The biggest thing I miss is the staff; they were uncommonly knowledgable in what they sold. I too bought my 14" Delta bandsaw from them in 1996, at their big summer sale; it was the first decent stationary power tool I ever owned.

A pretty significant part of my shop came from 7 Corners. Since they closed and I moved west of the Cities, Acme in Plymouth has stepped up to keep that hole in my wallet open:)

As far as glue sticks go, I have a couple bags of unknown age that are working just fine. My guess is that they are at least 20 years old, maybe more, but I really don't know either way.

Paul Haus
01-31-2022, 4:31 AM
I had spent some time and money at 7 Corners in the past. It always reminded me of the 'old' hardware stores, they seemed to have so many things you'd only find there. I miss them.

Bruce Mack
01-31-2022, 11:13 AM
I had spent some time and money at 7 Corners in the past. It always reminded me of the 'old' hardware stores, they seemed to have so many things you'd only find there. I miss them.
It had been a 3-generation family store since 1933. I read that the owner had moved to CA and his son, in college, did not want to continue in the family business. When it was sold in 2014, land prices had risen and the offer was too good to refuse. While I have driven to the area since, I confess I don't know what replaced it. I'm including a short video.
I hope the moderators will link it properly if I have not.
https://youtu.be/_l4W7pcerdQ