PDA

View Full Version : 3ph Felder K700 spinning backwards?

Nick Crivello
01-29-2022, 3:16 PM
Hi guys,

I'm finally getting the used K700S set up in my garage workshop.
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?294445-Anyone-cut-a-Felder-slider-down

It's a 2001 era 10hp 3ph with 10' slider. Got the rotary phase converter up and running; saw starts up and runs without issue. When I went to make a test cut on scrap plywood, it just burned the hell out of it. Thought the blade it came with was just completely toast. But the new Tenryu blade did the same thing just not as bad.

Didn't notice at first due to the electric brake but the blade appears to be spinning backwards? :confused:

Think I need to switch power leads but where?

Edit: Would switching two wires at the end of the saw plug accomplish this?

I have: one phase subpanel --> phase converter --> three phase load center --> SOO extension cord to saw

Ron Selzer
01-29-2022, 3:22 PM
at the three phase load center (breaker) switch 2 of the 3 wires around where the SOO extension cord is landed at,
OR where the SOO cord terminates at the saw switch 2of 3 wires

Warren Lake
01-29-2022, 3:27 PM
on real three phase you change two wires. If you have a roto its not that simple, you have to be sure your manufactured phase does not get to the coil, if so it can take it out and likely will. You need to idntify that phase and be sure its not going to the coil. Some machines have a transformer as well. The smart electronic guys will tell you but just dont go changing wires now and take your coil out.

Nick Crivello
01-29-2022, 3:38 PM
Update: Switched two wires at saw plug, operates normally now.

I had previously switched the plug out so it matched the one on the extension cord.

Crisis averted. :D

Nick Crivello
01-29-2022, 3:41 PM
on real three phase you change two wires. If you have a roto its not that simple, you have to be sure your manufactured phase does not get to the coil, if so it can take it out and likely will. You need to idntify that phase and be sure its not going to the coil. Some machines have a transformer as well. The smart electronic guys will tell you but just dont go changing wires now and take your coil out.

I wired the phase converter up as specified in the directions supplied by American Rotary. Hopefully the fix I found is the appropriate solution.

Kevin Jenness
01-29-2022, 5:53 PM
I worked at a shop with a 15 hp dust collector blower that didn't pull much air. It worked quite a bit better after I switched out two of the motor leads.

Good thing the saw didn't grab the stock and pull your hand in.

Maurice Mcmurry
01-29-2022, 6:45 PM
My dust collector Is a Grizzly I pulled from the trash after a shopmate threw it away. It was running backwards. He hated it and struggled with it for a few years but never noticed the problem. It works OK now and the price was right.

Mike Kees
01-29-2022, 7:03 PM
My dust collector Is a Grizzly I pulled from the trash after a shopmate threw it away. It was running backwards. He hated it and struggled with it for a few years but never noticed the problem. It works OK now and the price was right.
I love these kind of stories. One of my Dad's friends got a brand new Evinrude 6hp boat motor at a garage sale for $75, took it home and figured out a gasket was on the wrong side of the reed valves in the carb so fuel did not flow. He loved to tell that story and used the motor for years.

Maurice Mcmurry
01-29-2022, 7:20 PM
My buddy had a sad mishap with a motorcycle he sold for scrap because he thought it was seized. The guy who bought it took the spark plugs out, spun the starter (ejecting a fountain of gasoline), let it dry out for a bit, Put the plugs back, started it, and drove it away. It was a Honda V-65 Magna. It is a sad story.

My trash find collector sits on top of other items from the trash. My homemade "cyclone" works surprisingly well. Total budget = zero dollars.