PDA

View Full Version : What to do with end-grain cookies?

Jake Helmboldt
01-28-2022, 12:48 PM
Hi Creekers; it's been quite a while since I've posted (or even visited) here. Life took me away from woodworking for quite a while, and I'm trying to get back in the saddle a bit. I have a couple of almost square white oak cookies (~18" x 18") that I cut from a stump that had odd bolsters at the butt end. I've neve messed with cookies due to the checking and splitting that tends to occur, but these were unique enough that I figured I'd anchor seal them and see if I could do something with them.

So... any suggestions? I've thought about a pair of stools, but I'm wondering if there's something more creative (not always my forte).

Thanks, Jake

Mark Bolton
01-28-2022, 4:00 PM
Good lord. No idea what do do with them but where in holy heck did you find square trees?!?!? Ive never seen anything like that. Cookies would be junk to me but I dont blame you for trying to do something with those.. what the heck

David Dockstader
01-28-2022, 4:17 PM
If you could replicate them, the sawmills would pay you a ransom for them! That would eliminate a LOT of waste.

Adam Herman
01-28-2022, 5:01 PM
a whole new way to think of "flat sawn" lumber!

very fun. maybe a small end table?

Jamie Buxton
01-29-2022, 8:34 PM
I've read of folks saturating wet wood with polyethylene glycol to prevent shrinking and splitting. I haven't done it myself. Here's a link to Rockler's version -- https://www.rockler.com/polyethylene-glycol-peg-green-wood-stabilizer And Lee Valley sells something called Pentacryl, which might not be PEG. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/supplies/finishing/20079-pentacryl-wood-stabilizer?item=56K0801&utm_source=free_google_shopping&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping_feed&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6NOPBhCPARIsAHAy2zBmpf-KwNjIqHYtgSsMTy_gKiEZ6fahx-yomEQyPpXxx4b3bXhWRngaApqWEALw_wcB

David Utterback
01-30-2022, 3:16 PM
Those are quite special. Good luck holding them together. If you get checking, you can adapt. Thanks for sharing!

Jake Helmboldt
01-31-2022, 1:38 PM
If you could replicate them, the sawmills would pay you a ransom for them! That would eliminate a LOT of waste.

Seriously! I immediately joked that I needed to figure out how to grow square trees and make a killing. I didn't even realize how that buttress was shaped until I cut the stump flush. I'm still noodling through ideas on what to do with them. I suppose I'll wait to see how badly they check and let that partially guide the process.

Matt Lau
05-04-2022, 9:16 PM
Seriously! I immediately joked that I needed to figure out how to grow square trees and make a killing. I didn't even realize how that buttress was shaped until I cut the stump flush. I'm still noodling through ideas on what to do with them. I suppose I'll wait to see how badly they check and let that partially guide the process.

Coasters and trivets?

David Utterback
05-05-2022, 9:52 AM
I am curious about what has happened to the cookies. Have you processed them or still letting them dry? Has checking been a problem? I would favor any project that keeps them largely intact. A wall clock comes to mind. Seats for stools also sounds good if they are thick enough. Please let us know what has happened. Thanks

Tom Bender
05-08-2022, 8:03 AM
Post this in the turner's forum. They will know how to deal with checking, and they may have ideas on what to make.