PDA

View Full Version : Used Printer Cartridges

lowell holmes
01-27-2022, 4:32 PM
How do you dispose them? SWMBO chastises me if I put them with trash for collection.
Thursday collection is recycle day. I think I will put them in a sandwich bag and include them for recycle.

Any suggestions?

John Stankus
01-27-2022, 4:44 PM
Office supply stores (officedepot, officemax, staples, etc) will give some credit for turning them into their recycle programs.
They will be reused, so they are not accumulating in landfills.

Zachary Hoyt
01-27-2022, 4:52 PM
They are not generally municipally recyclable, they have their own system that is separate. Our library used to collect them and turn them in to raise money, the same way some organizations collect cans and bottles, but they stopped a couple of years ago.

Marc Fenneuff
01-27-2022, 4:57 PM
I use https://doorstepink.com/pages/free-ink-recycling and put them in the mail once I have a half-dozen. I believe I learned about them from buying ink on eBay.

Derek Meyer
01-27-2022, 6:20 PM
I take the to Staples. if you have a rewards account they will credit you $1.00 per cartridge, up to a maximun of 20 per month. I recycle them for our business so I always have more than 20 to take in.

roger wiegand
01-27-2022, 7:22 PM
The ones I buy from Hewlett Packard include a UPS return label for sending the empty cartridge back.

Bruce Wrenn
01-27-2022, 8:21 PM
The ones I buy from Hewlett Packard include a UPS return label for sending the empty cartridge back.

I trade mine in when buying refilled ones.

Dave Zellers
01-27-2022, 8:26 PM
If they fit into a sandwich bag you are talking about inkjet cartridges not laser printer cartridges right?

Can inkjet cartridges be recycled? I get the feeling most of the replies above refer to laser cartridges.

Dave Zellers
01-27-2022, 8:30 PM
OK- I see in the link from Marc those boxes are filled with inkjet cartridges.

Zachary Hoyt
01-27-2022, 8:44 PM
Yes, inkjet cartridges are recycled or refilled. There are some precious metals in them, I think, though the plastic part is likely discarded once it's not refillable anymore.

Aaron Rosenthal
01-28-2022, 9:15 AM
My independent supplier WILL take them back but doesn’t reuse them. Since I don’t know where they end up, I take them to my city’s zero waste site and add it to my other electronic recycling items.