PDA

View Full Version : New Corel X3

Joe Pelonio
01-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Has anyone bought yet or tried the trial download version? The new Power Trace is supposed to be a lot better than Corel 12. It's limited to 15 days so I'm going to wait until I have more time to play with it.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Products/Display&pfid=1047024307335&pid=1047025934319

Nick Adams
01-18-2006, 4:44 AM
My past experience with corel has been that all Odd versions of corel were junk, and even ones were stable....

I will most likely pick it up for the laptop to play with and test, I wont do it until I start my guitar class at the local college so that I can get a student version as it is just for testing ~

125 for guitar lessons for 9 weeks, 80 for corel..... still much cheaper for this purpose then buying direct.

Jerry Allen
01-18-2006, 11:39 AM
I think the trial is 30 days.
Always get an academic version or at least and update. (Most everyone knows a student or teacher, no?)
The trace function is built in and is better.
The fit to path is better. There is a new function to create an object by filling intersections of objects which is really cool.
Photopaint's cutout tool is nice.
It seems pretty stable to me. Corel and Adobe always have updates shortly after a release.

Joe Pelonio
01-18-2006, 2:22 PM
The Epilog tech tells me that they have not tried it yet but it should work with the same drivers. He did recommend that people wait until the first service pack is available before buying any brand new product to avoid bugs, especially in a production shop. For me the question would be whether the upgrade would allow me to still use Corel 12 if the X3 was
messing up, and if Corel 12 can open X-3 files.

Mike Mackenzie
01-18-2006, 4:20 PM
I have recieved positive comments from beta test sights. Reports say that it is pretty bullet proof and working very well.

William Desrochers
01-18-2006, 8:10 PM
The Epilog tech tells me that they have not tried it yet but it should work with the same drivers. He did recommend that people wait until the first service pack is available before buying any brand new product to avoid bugs, especially in a production shop. For me the question would be whether the upgrade would allow me to still use Corel 12 if the X3 was
messing up, and if Corel 12 can open X-3 files.

In most cases an older software normally can-not open newer formats.

I tried the X3 today at work. It seems like nothing really change. I notice that now instead of right clicking a bitmap, clicking trace & waiting for Coreltrace to open. It just opens a small window similar to print-preview to show results & it does do alot better job at tracing.

I love the Overprint feature that was a great addition, made my day when i finish my color seperations for my screens this morning.

The thing that bothered me was the way it jumped when zooming in/out with the scroll wheel!

Lee DeRaud
01-18-2006, 8:15 PM
The thing that bothered me was the way it jumped when zooming in/out with the scroll wheel!Worse than with Corel12?!? That's one of CD's least-endearing "features".:eek:

Roy Brewer
01-19-2006, 12:55 AM
My past experience with corel has been that all Odd versions of corel were junk, and even ones were stable....

It's the other way 'round! Even versions bad odd versions good.

With the new owners at Corel, however, I think you can discard that history. Twelve seems to have proved that in my mind.

Jerry Allen
01-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Joe,
Have not had any problems with my Mercury driver.
You can install both versions simultaneously.
Generally, some files saved as X3 will not load back into v12.
In that case you just Save As in X3 and choose v12 in the Save dialog.

Some other improvements:
Editing nodes is a little easier with new node icons. When there are two nodes close together, one will be exetended to the side.
The new Smart Fill tool creates new objects from intersections of objects or lines and curves.
Imports of .dxf are better than v12.

Suggestions:
If you have problems with the color dockers, press F8 as Draw is loaded to reset the workspace.
under the View menu, use Enhanced, but not Enhances with Overprints, for the most part, because the screen will do some weird stuff. I'm not saying not to use it at all, just not for everday work.

It's not perfect, but better in many ways. I think it's very stable. Perhaps a little slower in some functions, but then it's more complex.

Nick Adams
01-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Roy you are correct, my brain had a misalignment ~ When 12 came out I was happy, not because it was going to be good but rather it was inbetween the "good" versions. 12 has been great, and now when I remember the worse versions I start with 12 being good. my mistake on that one.

Lee DeRaud
02-28-2006, 11:19 AM
An update: ordered/downloaded/installed X3 yesterday. Works fine with the ULS drivers. It also does not exhibit the odd Bezier tool behavior I documented before (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31216).

The new 'Smart Fill' tool is the best new feature, well worth the price of the upgrade all by itself, at least for the stuff I do. And the 'Virtual Segment Delete' tool is a close second, especially for removing "double-cut" segments where two lines are on top of each other and get cut twice. (That tool may have been in CD12, but I either never saw it or couldn't figure out how it worked.)

Current upgrade price for the download version is $159 (normally $179).

Keith Outten
02-28-2006, 12:01 PM
I purchased X3 last week. I haven't used it with my laser engraver yet but I have used the Power Trace function to convert a couple of logos and it is much improved and probably worth the upgrade price if you need to convert raster to vector. There are other nice tools as well like fillets, etc.

My first impression is that X3 is the best upgrade for Corel Draw I have ever seen.