PDA

View Full Version : New Zenith of Mediocrity

Kris Cook
01-26-2022, 1:20 PM
I tried to track an order from Lee Valley on the USPS site. The snip below is what I found.

Lee DeRaud
01-26-2022, 3:06 PM
Not sure I see the problem. So it's on a truck/train somewhere between PA and MT: I wouldn't expect another update until it hits a major distro center closer to you (Billings?). Is it late already?

(The one oddity is that I don't recall LV using anything except UPS to get stuff to me.)

mike stenson
01-26-2022, 3:07 PM
The last shipment I had from them went from NY, to Phoenix, back to Chicago, then back to Phoenix and finally Tucson.

That was UPS.

I usually ask them to ship USPS, I forgot to on that instance.

Barry McFadden
01-26-2022, 3:15 PM
I get items from Lee Valley the next day via UPS.

Lisa Starr
01-26-2022, 3:34 PM
USPS tracking is horrible. I've had multiple packages delivered of late that the tacking was still showing "label created, USPS awaiting package".

Jim Koepke
01-26-2022, 4:39 PM
USPS tracking is horrible. I've had multiple packages delivered of late that the tacking was still showing "label created, USPS awaiting package".

Often that is a USPS associate (like Amazon) taking the package to the USPS facility nearest to the final destination. This supposedly saves Amazon a lot to just have the post office do the "last miles."

jtk

Tom M King
01-26-2022, 4:40 PM
I ordered a LV drill press table last Tuesday afternoon, and it arrived in a USPS box Thursday morning. I wasn't worried about it anyway. I haven't had time to open the box yet.

Jeff Roltgen
01-26-2022, 5:25 PM
TMI. Do you really need to know where it is, and bother yourself with puzzling over their internal logistics? What happened to placing an order, and trusting it will arrive in a reasonable time frame, as you go about the business at hand?
I've lately received notices indicating the driver was now in the area, and I could track their every move until the package arrived. Are you kidding? No wonder we're all so neurotic now.

Try and relax. Certainly, there's something else in front of you to busy your mind with.
Enjoy the mild surprise when the item arrives.

"Expectation is a prison"
- Robert Fripp

jeff

Mike Henderson
01-26-2022, 7:26 PM
TMI. Do you really need to know where it is, and bother yourself with puzzling over their internal logistics? What happened to placing an order, and trusting it will arrive in a reasonable time frame, as you go about the business at hand?
I've lately received notices indicating the driver was now in the area, and I could track their every move until the package arrived. Are you kidding? No wonder we're all so neurotic now.

Try and relax. Certainly, there's something else in front of you to busy your mind with.
Enjoy the mild surprise when the item arrives.

"Expectation is a prison"
- Robert Fripp

jeff

Depends on what I'm getting. With porch pirates, you want to pick up the package as quickly as possible after delivery. Especially true if it's a high value item or something you need "right now".

The other issue is when I'm receiving a package I have to sign for. I want to make sure I'm home when it's delivered.

Mike

Kris Cook
01-26-2022, 7:26 PM
The point of my post was mostly this - "your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination" - That's great, I should hope so.

Then - "It is currently in transit to the next facility" - Extremely informative...they don't even mention a delivery date.

I need what's in that package to get an assembly table completed I am trying to get finished up before I have to leave town, hence my interest.

Bryan Hall
01-27-2022, 12:55 AM
I'm currently 10 months out from my order being placed with LV and being told I'm still another month out. So... you're doing a lot better than I am!

Jim Koepke
01-27-2022, 10:58 AM

Wish this were available here. Currently on tracked USPS packages we get a delivery complete message about a half hour after the fact. Our cell service is nonexistent in my area so the message doesn't go out until the carrier gets a cell signal. The road and mailbox are a few hundred yards away from the house and neither can be seen from the house.

jtk

Doug Garson
01-27-2022, 12:20 PM
Canada post has an option called Flexdelivery, the parcel is shipped to your nearest post office and you pick it up there, might be a good option for Jim if USPS has a similar service.

Ron Citerone
01-27-2022, 2:12 PM
Alan - that is unbelievable. Hope you got a "pound of flesh" out of Delta for that.

Apparently I am complicit in hi-jacking my own thread; so I will tell you we recently lost our Springer of 14 years. We have looked around Montana and surrounding area for a pup without much luck. My wife really misses our dog, as do I. We contacted a breeder in Oregon who referred us to a breeder in Nashville. I researched the whole dog shipping thing, and I am flying to Nashville the end of next month to pick up our new pup and flying back the next day with him.

I hope you get the pup of your dreams Kris!:)

Kris Cook
01-27-2022, 2:27 PM
Thanks Ron. We are looking forward to getting him. Haven't had a puppy around for a while, so we have some work to do.

John Lifer
01-27-2022, 4:09 PM
Heck you aught to look at Fedex tracking some times. I've had them well over a week off, have had several say to be delivered tomorrow when the package has just been picked up 1000 miles away 10 minutes before and was shipped ground. As usually 4 or 5 day shipping time on these. Nowhere near accurate. But that is life in the covid era.
Oh, dog stuff.
I do dog tags for a kennel near me. 80 to 100 tags at a time. All for their White Labrador Retrievers. They have 4 studs and a half dozen bitches for each and sell all over the US. The husband of the owner has flown them to CA to FL and to most of the 50 states. They will personally deliver them so no lost dogs. I'm afraid to ask their starting price.

Derek Meyer
01-27-2022, 6:36 PM
I signed up with the USPS for their "Informed Delivery" program. They send me an email every morning with images of all the mail I'll be receiving that day (first class and priority only, not third class or bulk). At the bottom, they have any pacages that are coming that day, and then another section with packages scheduled to be delivered in a few days. The service is free.

UPS has a similar service where they will email me whenever a package is shipped, with an estimated delivery date. If that date changes they will email with the change info. On the day of the delivery they will email again with the delivery window expected. It's a lot of email but it is nice to have the information.

I would guess that FedEx has a similar service available but I am not signed up with them.

Bill Dufour
01-28-2022, 1:58 PM
Saw this on another forum. English only. No French. I guess Spanish readers are smarter. I had no idea that being color blind meant you could not tape up shipping boxes.
Bill D.

Perry Hilbert Jr
01-30-2022, 2:48 PM
My wife orders lots of stuff on line. The USPS is generally good about delivery notification, but transport is terrible. A package from Moscow, Russia made it from Moscow to NYC in three days and then according to tracking, sat at a post office in New Jersey for 42 days before it was delivered to our local PO and delivered the same day. UPS on the other hand is terrible about saying a package has been delivered and yet nothing shows up for two or three days. And Fed ex, I think the truck goes down the street and just throws stuff out the door and what ever day they feel like showing up. I found packages on the edge of the road way, on top our mail box, behind the mail box, at the pasture gat 200 ft up the driveway , in the middle of the neighbor's driveway in a pouring rain, and once on the hood of my tractor.