PDA

View Full Version : wooden ac condenser base?

Travis Conner
01-26-2022, 12:12 AM
So my current ac condenser for my house is sitting on two crappy pallets stacked on top of one another and only about 12" off the ground. I made a nice wooden base for it with treated 2x10" for a skirt and then 2x4 for it to set on. It's like a mini platform the same size as that concrete pad they put under ac condensers. I live by the water, so the plan is to get the condenser about 3ft off the ground instead of only 12" After I built this thing I started to wonder if all the wood I put in this thing will cause it to float away?? lol I forgot the measurements but its like 48"X48" I think by the time they put the condenser on top and still utilize the concrete pad it should be okay??? I'll try and take some pics. I'd hate to have my condenser float away. lol I made this thing for when the old unit breaks and I'll have the installers place the new one on it.

Opinions? Maybe I should take some 2x4's out and do every other 2x4 to make it less bouyant? Do you think the ac installer will have an issue with placing it on my home made platform? I believe code requires it to be 12" above ground and they typically use 4 cinder blocks under one of those concrete pads then place the condenser on top. Not sure if code requires concrete cinder blocks or if that's just what they use because they're only like $.79ea

Bill Dufour
01-26-2022, 1:17 AM
Put a couple drop anchors at opposite corners into the slab. Run all thread up to hold down the compressor so it does not walk off the platform. Or use chain. Here I would be more worried about scrap thieves taking it at night.
Bill D

Dave Sabo
01-26-2022, 8:08 AM
I’d check to see if a wooden base on the ground meets code. Even if it does , I wouldn’t use it.

I don’t see much point in worrying about whether the condenser will “float” away in a surge or flood. If the water is that deep, you’ve got lots of other problems to worry about.

Alan Lightstone
01-26-2022, 8:12 AM
Being on the water, the code here is that the condensers need to be 6' off the ground, on metal bases attached to the side of the cinder block.

As Houston is hurricane prone, and has flooding issues, I'd personally go higher and more secure than 3 feet.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-26-2022, 8:44 AM
Not sure if code requires concrete cinder blocks or if that's just what they use because they're only like $.79ea

just for kicks, CMU are around $3.50 each now. $.79 is a price from the good old days.

Ron Citerone
01-26-2022, 8:58 AM
My unit was 2’ above Hurricane Sandy flood stage and only got splashed with salt water. AC guy was able to get it working, but thought it wouldn’t last more than a year.
Then somebody stole the unit as Bill D warned. Things to consider, good luck.

Jim Becker
01-26-2022, 9:51 AM
Around here, bases are either concrete or a molded composite material, or if wall mounted, metal. I honestly wouldn't use wood for this application.

Dave Sabo
01-26-2022, 9:23 PM
just for kicks, CMU are around $3.50 each now. $.79 is a price from the good old days.

I paid less than $2 last month for a few.

John Lifer
01-26-2022, 10:08 PM
Nope, wood? Treated or otherwise is a bad idea. Metal would be way better, Get some strut material, cheap, and won't rot.

Bruce Wrenn
01-27-2022, 8:35 PM
Friend's house, a block off the ocean, has them mounted on a small deck, about even with second story of house. It's the code there to have them mounted up above typical flood level.