PDA

View Full Version : Miter Gauge

Mike Sanfeliz
01-17-2006, 11:01 AM
I recently picked up a 22400 Craftsman 12" bandsaw. Paid $255 onsale +10% off with my CC card. Anyway, it didn't come with a miter gauge, nor is it a part that can be ordered (I've checked with 3 Sears including online). So, is this something that is really needed? or should I try ordering it from another source? If the latter, any suggestions?

Bill Webber
01-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Does the saw have a slot for the miter gauge? If it does, and it is a standard size (3/4 x 1/2?) then a miter gauge from any Sears table saw would work on it. I've found the bandsaw miter gauge to be very useful.

Bill W.

Mike Sanfeliz
01-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Does the saw have a slot for the miter gauge? If it does, and it is a standard size (3/4 x 1/2?) then a miter gauge from any Sears table saw would work on it. I've found the bandsaw miter gauge to be very useful.

Bill W.

Yes, the saw actually has two miter gauge slots. I just can't seem to find the MG anywhere. It's a shame, the saw is pretty nice. I would have gone for the 14", but I really felt that starting out this 12" is perfect for me.

Jim Becker
01-17-2006, 1:48 PM
The miter guages that typically come with band saws leave a lot to be desired. You might actually want to consider making one that fits your saw exactly and allows for support right up to the blade.

Dev Emch
01-17-2006, 2:15 PM
The miter guages that typically come with band saws leave a lot to be desired. You might actually want to consider making one that fits your saw exactly and allows for support right up to the blade.
I agree. Many of these things were pot metal paper weights. Horrid. You may wish to check out the mitre gage offered by Jessem. That thing is super modern looking and looks pretty nice. Often, the head is attached to a beam in a simple manner. Now you just need the beam. Measure your slot depth and width. Then how long do you need the beam.

If anyone has a Jessem mitre gage, would you guys be so kind as to post a photo of its rear end? So we can see how the beam attaches to the gage?

Then have a machinist mill down a beam from a hunk of solid A-36 hot rolled steel. You may be able to bribe Bruce to do it or find a home shop machinist to do it. Worse case, just PM me for more details.

So this is one option.

P.S. Opps, I did not see the 12 inch reference. The Jessem may be a bit large for a 12 inch table.

Brad Schmid
01-17-2006, 2:21 PM
...So, is this something that is really needed? or should I try ordering it from another source? If the latter, any suggestions?

I think deciding whether you need it or not depends on the other equipment in your shop. Personally, I find that I don't use a miter gauge much at all on the bandsaw. I do most of that work either with a 12" CMS , the Incra sled on the TS, or at the disk sander.

If you decide you need a miter gauge for your bandsaw, heed the advice of Mr Becker. The stock ones have no adjustments for tightening up the slack in the slot, the lines aren't precise, no positive stops, etc. This includes the miter gauge that came with my MM16 (although it was better than most stock gauges, it still leaves alot to be desired). I have a 5 gal bucket full of these stock miter gauges in my shop attic, so if you really decide you want one, let me know and I'll be happy to mail one to you, no charge!

Mike Sanfeliz
01-17-2006, 2:58 PM
I agree. Many of these things were pot metal paper weights. Horrid. You may wish to check out the mitre gage offered by Jessem. That thing is super modern looking and looks pretty nice. Often, the head is attached to a beam in a simple manner. Now you just need the beam. Measure your slot depth and width. Then how long do you need the beam.

If anyone has a Jessem mitre gage, would you guys be so kind as to post a photo of its rear end? So we can see how the beam attaches to the gage?

Then have a machinist mill down a beam from a hunk of solid A-36 hot rolled steel. You may be able to bribe Bruce to do it or find a home shop machinist to do it. Worse case, just PM me for more details.

So this is one option.

P.S. Opps, I did not see the 12 inch reference. The Jessem may be a bit large for a 12 inch table.

Actually the table is big for a 12". The top is 20 1/2" x 16" with a 3/4" miter slot (sorry forgot the depth) with a groove along the bottom of each side (like a table saw). So with the right gauge there would be no slipping out of the slot.

The older Delta styled, Craftsman band saw's miter gauge, is a wee bit small for the slot. Annd you're right, it would seem more foe than friend to my BS.