PDA

View Full Version : Keyless chuck lockup

Carl Beckett
01-24-2022, 2:53 PM
I have a battery powered Makita, where the chuck sometimes doesnt like 'releasing'. The good news is that is clamps and holds the bit well (unlike one that is prone to slippage). But when I go to remove the bit it will not release, such that the chuck just spins out in my hand (I cant hold it).

I then have to put some channel locks on it and that grabs enough it releases. Once released, it lets go completely and all is normal again. I dont like risk of buggering up the chuck with pliers.

It doesnt 'always' happen, maybe once every 10 times (maybe always with a drill bit, not a driver bit)

I have cleaned a chuck in the past but that was due to it getting rough to operate. This operates smoothly, just sometimes locks up.

John Ziebron
01-24-2022, 8:49 PM
I used to have trouble at times with keyless chucks. Then a friend told me years ago that when you put a bit in one you should never let it bottom out because it can tighten as it's used. I followed that advice and never had a problem since. Hope it works for you.

Carl Beckett
01-25-2022, 8:04 AM
I used to have trouble at times with keyless chucks. Then a friend told me years ago that when you put a bit in one you should never let it bottom out because it can tighten as it's used. I followed that advice and never had a problem since. Hope it works for you.

Thanks, will check that. Did not believe I as bottoming, but due to the intermittent nature I wonder... might even run a test.