PDA

View Full Version : sawing lumber

Stephen Sebed
01-17-2006, 10:49 AM
I have a few logs that I would like to cut into boards and I want to know what type to saw you guys would use for this job. altogether I probably won't be cutting more than 30-40 bdft of lumber. Would just a standard 8 ppi rip filed hand saw work OK? Should I get a different saw? What's the best way to tackle this job?

Thanks,
Stephen

Mike Wenzloff
01-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Hi Stephen,

Unfortunately, a rip saw of even less ppi will not be a good choice. The dampness of the interior of the log will hold onto the wide blade a handsaw has, even if you increase the set.

I have rip handsaws down to 3 1/2 ppi--very large teeth. Even with copius amounts of kerosene for lubricant, I don't think they would work even on a small log very well.

A better choice for doing it by hand would be a two-man pit saw--and then be ready for the workout of your lives.

One can begin the process by splitting the log into basically bolts. Which also is a lot of work, less on some species and probably impossible on others.

When I have done my own processing for cabinet making, I stuck with 3-4 foot log sections, split them in half and used my BS. Even that was not an ideal situation.

One man saws made for, or that can be made into, rip are available on the web. Many/most of these have the facility to add a handle at the end for a helper. Getting into a good rhythm with a second person can be difficult.

Take care. Mike

Richard Gillespie
01-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Most panel rip saws are in the 5 to 5-1/2 tpi range. 8 TPI would be too fine in my opinion. You'd end up working yourself to death. As it is, you're in for a lot of work with the larger teeth. You might want to find a old logging saw with even a larger tooth set, filed for rip to do the project you describe.

If you continue to pursue this though, make sure you have a supply of splitting wedges on hand to keep the kerf open. The only project I've used a hand saw to re-saw on, the wood kept trying to close up. Those boards were only 30" long. Another thought is to split or reeve the wood and plane it rather than saw it.

Bob Smalser
01-17-2006, 12:37 PM
I have a few logs that I would like to cut into boards and I want to know what type to saw you guys would use for this job.

How I do it:

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/3223936/39836755.jpg

Your local one or two-man buck/crosscut saws don't rip well, either.

Or find a friend who has a 16" or larger bandsaw in his shop. Buy him a new resaw blade in return for using his saw. Two blades if more than three logs.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/4110272/50978769.jpg

A chain saw with ripping chain is another alternative.

Scott Loven
01-17-2006, 2:37 PM
I had a cherry tree in my yard die a few years ago. I cut it into logs that I could handle with my boys, put them in my mini van and took them to a guy with a bandsaw mill. He cut them into boards, and charged me $.15/bf to cut them into boards. Got 150 bf for $22.50. For the small ammount you are looking at, you could cut them on a band saw at home.
Scott