PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
01-24-2022, 7:01 AM
24 Jan 2022,
Greetings,
Been keeping the woodstove warm and fired up this week with the cold temps we've been having. Spent time in the shop fixing things, working on Joe's queen size bed and just finished milling the wood for an antique truck bed restoration job for a buddy of mine. He's supposed to come pick up the milled wood today. I am still oncall duty until 8 AM tomorrow morning, so there's that too. The LOML and I sat and watched a movie and called that our date night out. I also decided to put some waste wood to work by turning it into some cell phone stands. I don't like throwing wood away if I can find a use for it. :)

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
01-24-2022, 9:06 AM
'Glad you're getting shop time, Dennis!

I spent no time in the "refrigerated" shop this past week. I did take care of replacing the primary ceiling lighting in the kitchen with a large LED fixture with some additional lighting upgrades to come. 'Had to replace the espresso machine as the steam boiler was apparently degraded by the acidic water at the old property and began leaking...which is a real safety issue. Since it was over ten years old, I chose to replace rather than send it out for what would likely be an expensive repair. The new one has a few nice enhancements. Ordered the induction range for the kitchen, too, and will be putting in the permit application this week for a whole house generator. (having the old property finally sold and off our plate as freed up the ability to get to our intended improvements here at the new place)

Shop-related, I've also started my "list" of things to do to prepare for a shop building on the property and in general that starts with a boundary survey so I can site a building within setback requirements and go for zoning approval. The actual property line is over on the other side of the neighbor's driveway...likely a result from minimum lot size requirements when this property was subdivided from the larger plot that the neighboring house occupies. In this case, it works favorably for us as the building will be able to be very close to the fence line, even with a 15' setback, and block a lot less of the nice backyard. After zoning approval, things can move on to actually determining the "what" with the "where" being known. So this week I gotta kinda start a project plan to keep track of everything.

Darrell Bade
01-24-2022, 10:40 AM
Finished building a 3 drawer nightstand that is a carbon copy of one I built 25 years ago for the other side of the bed. Putting the last coat of clear on it now. Burned my scrap pile from the nightstand and wood rack and put tools up to get organized before starting the next project of 2 end tables.

Eugene Dixon
01-24-2022, 11:57 AM
Scribed and cut the walnut laminate for the counter extension above the lower pantry shelving yet to be installed. need higher temps in the s'hanger to apply Waterlox. Had dinner with oldest granddaughter Wensday she had covid related fever Friday. Been like squirrel nutted up for winter since. Well I did slink off to the s'hanger and sprayed little rattle can lacquer on the next lighthouse totem. Also cut the Marlee burl for the base and sanded both sides. I've been trying to buy a 2-3/16" Forstner bit for 3 weeks. None in stock, apparently.

Malcolm McLeod
01-24-2022, 12:07 PM
... to prepare for a shop building ... ... start a project plan to keep track of everything. Have fun.

If you GC it yourself, step 1 is to dig three holes at the back edge of the property, each 6' deep x 6' L x 2' W, re-fill one hole and drive an old hammer into the fill dirt (handle first) of this hole. Leave the others open; spoil dirt piled next to each. Step 2 - Hold ALL meetings with subs standing next to the empty holes.

"So. You cut up ALL my 2x10s rafter material to use as staging because you didn't bring your own scaffolding? Explain who's going to pay for replacements." ;) You'll get a more financially favorable answer if you stand near the holes (if only I'd received this advice before construction).

Lisa Starr
01-24-2022, 12:22 PM
Continued work on the Towel Cubby from reclaimed wood from our home. I cut the sliding dovetails for the shelves, drilled the dowel holes for the carcase construction and dry fitted the whole arrangement. The whole thing looked good, so took it back apart to begin the sanding and pre-finishing steps.

Jim Becker
01-24-2022, 1:40 PM
Have fun.

If you GC it yourself, step 1 is to dig three holes at the back edge of the property, each 6' deep x 6' L x 2' W, re-fill one hole and drive an old hammer into the fill dirt (handle first) of this hole. Leave the others open; spoil dirt piled next to each. Step 2 - Hold ALL meetings with subs standing next to the empty holes.

"So. You cut up ALL my 2x10s rafter material to use as staging because you didn't bring your own scaffolding? Explain who's going to pay for replacements." ;) You'll get a more financially favorable answer if you stand near the holes (if only I'd received this advice before construction).

While I'm sure I'll be handling much of the planning and post-construction interior stuff, the actual building will be contracted. I do not have the physical ability to take on a project of that size. But I do like your "meeting room" idea. LOL

derek labian
01-24-2022, 1:42 PM
'Glad you're getting shop time, Dennis!

I spent no time in the "refrigerated" shop this past week. I did take care of replacing the primary ceiling lighting in the kitchen with a large LED fixture with some additional lighting upgrades to come. 'Had to replace the espresso machine as the steam boiler was apparently degraded by the acidic water at the old property and began leaking...which is a real safety issue. Since it was over ten years old, I chose to replace rather than send it out for what would likely be an expensive repair. The new one has a few nice enhancements. Ordered the induction range for the kitchen, too, and will be putting in the permit application this week for a whole house generator. (having the old property finally sold and off our plate as freed up the ability to get to our intended improvements here at the new place)

Shop-related, I've also started my "list" of things to do to prepare for a shop building on the property and in general that starts with a boundary survey so I can site a building within setback requirements and go for zoning approval. The actual property line is over on the other side of the neighbor's driveway...likely a result from minimum lot size requirements when this property was subdivided from the larger plot that the neighboring house occupies. In this case, it works favorably for us as the building will be able to be very close to the fence line, even with a 15' setback, and block a lot less of the nice backyard. After zoning approval, things can move on to actually determining the "what" with the "where" being known. So this week I gotta kinda start a project plan to keep track of everything.

Exciting times! I hope you keep a photo Diary in Workshops.

Jim Becker
01-24-2022, 1:44 PM
Exciting times! I hope you keep a photo Diary in Workshops.
There will likely be two threads; one during the planning process and one for the build of whatever monstrosity it ends up being, but maybe just one. You know I'm not squeamish about posting photos. :D :D :D

Paul F Franklin
01-24-2022, 4:50 PM
Jim, good luck on the shop planning...that's always a lot of fun, at least for me! Did you find the range you wanted in stock somewhere? My supplier still has no clue when our Cafe dual oven model might come in...ordered last July. Part of the issue is Mary wanted it in white, which is less popular than stainless or black stainless; which seem to be more available. Oh well, it comes when it comes.

Pretty much all I got done this week was to install a reverse osmosis filter system to feed a dispenser faucet at the sink and the fridge ice maker/cold water dispenser. I had stubbed out the feed to the dispenser at the kitchen sink while doing the work in there, but the filter system is installed in a basement store room, so I had to run from there to the line to the kitchen, and switch the feed to the fridge from the normal water to the filter system. Then I had to run feed water to the filter and a drain line to the sump for the r/o waste. In addition to the r/o, I added a remineralization/ PH booster filter and a UV light treatment unit after the r/o. You can get r/o filters with those extras but I didn't care for the flow rates and capacities of those units so I rolled my own with separate components. Also had to extend power for the r/o booster pump and the UV unit. End result is great drinking/coffee/tea water and great pressure and flow rate at the faucet so no long waits to fill stuff up.

Seems like at least half the time was spent moving "stuff" around in the store room and rec room to get access to mount the filters and run the plumbing and electrical. And then I spent pretty much all day today putting tools and supplies away and clearing away the mess that had accumulated at the bottom of the stairs from earlier project phases.

The tile we ordered for the backsplash came in so I picked that up. I had no trouble getting thinset and grout, but had to order color matched caulk online at nutso prices because I couldn't find any locally. Seems like caulk is another supply chain bottleneck at the moment. I have to do the casing on the kitchen window next, and then will start on the backsplash.

Jim Becker
01-24-2022, 8:11 PM
Did you find the range you wanted in stock somewhere? My supplier still has no clue when our Cafe dual oven model might come in...ordered last July. Part of the issue is Mary wanted it in white, which is less popular than stainless or black stainless; which seem to be more available. Oh well, it comes when it comes..

In stock...no. Also went Café but the single oven with the warming drawer after Professor Dr. SWMBO and I discussed it at length. We kinda already have the second small oven with the Ninja that I use extensively and in our now much smaller kitchen, giving up the drawer at the bottom would mean losing important storage space for things I often use. Mine was ordered direct as I have an employee/retiree discount program benefit with many companies including GE. It's backordered, but will be delivered from their Allentown PA distribution center once it's available. Oh, and we're SS all the way. I could have had it in a few weeks through HD, but I don't need to be in a hurry and pay more. :)

Aaron Rosenthal
01-25-2022, 12:02 AM
Dennis, I'm glad you are getting some sop time; that truck restoration project sounds "Skookum" (you need to be from British Columbia to understand the term).
Jim, I hope we get the blow-by-blow of the build as it progresses.
Not a lot of woodworking this week, but a lot of progress in other areas. New linked (and remote controlled) LED strip lighting in my basement rather than the ad hoc system before, which allowed me to transfer the other strips LED to the work area - a huge improvement.
Became unhappy with the plinths of the small cabinets I'm building so removed them with thanks to hide glue's characteristics, and got new Oak to build the bases anew.
Watched the SawStop videos on doing the adjustments, so tonight I confirmed the blade/slot clearance is within tolerance (.15mm back-front).
Usual ego clashes at the "volunteer" job. Sometimes it just doesn't seem worth it.

Rod Sheridan
01-28-2022, 7:32 PM
Foolishly, I continue to work on making flooring, amazing how much better at ripping a stock feeder is than me😀

Regards, Rod

Pat Rice
01-29-2022, 12:51 PM
I had started building a new work top/assembly surface on my Felder hydraulic lift cart last weekend and putting some finishing touches on it today

Brian Runau
01-29-2022, 2:22 PM
Finished my mission style dresser I have been working on. Brian

Brian Runau
01-29-2022, 2:25 PM
I had started building a new work top/assembly surface on my Felder hydraulic lift cart last weekend and putting some finishing touches on it today

Sweet! Sweet!

Charles Coolidge
01-29-2022, 2:36 PM
to do to prepare for a shop building on the property and in general that starts with a boundary survey so I can site a building within setback requirements and go for zoning approval. The actual property line is over on the other side of the neighbor's driveway...likely a result from minimum lot size requirements when this property was subdivided from the larger plot that the neighboring house occupies. In this case, it works favorably for us as the building will be able to be very close to the fence line, even with a 15' setback, and block a lot less of the nice backyard. After zoning approval, things can move on to actually determining the "what" with the "where" being known. So this week I gotta kinda start a project plan to keep track of everything.

Ditto, was pounding stakes in for this. I estimate $10k in tree removal though which is a gut punch.

Jim Becker
01-29-2022, 3:51 PM
Ditto, was pounding stakes in for this. I estimate $10k in tree removal though which is a gut punch.

Interestly, my neighbor from a few doors down who is a contractor recently bought the house next to ours to rehab and resell. He and his spouse wanted to do something nice for the neighborhood and make sure that the place was handled well and not allowed to continue to degrade. (the previous owners haven't done any work including normal, needed maintenance for decades) It's going to be more work than they anticipated, but still a nice project. The tie in here is that while I was finishing up with snow removal on our driveway today, he and his spouse came up the street with a snowblower and shovel to take care of that property's driveway and he told me that he's going to have his guys removing some trees on that property...as well as the two dead ones I need down. He's already pulled a big stump out a few months ago on our property that just just said "I'm doing it" and it was done. I'm really fortunate that he is going to help out with this because it will save some money vs me hiring someone...it's not a job I can handle. I already paid $8K at the old property to remove some trees in the last year so I really do understand how you feel, Charles!

Bryan Lisowski
01-29-2022, 6:03 PM
Jim your neighbor seems like a guy that should definitely get a bid package for the new shop.

Jim Becker
01-29-2022, 7:21 PM
Jim your neighbor seems like a guy that should definitely get a bid package for the new shop.

I will certainly be having a conversation with him, but AFAIK, he only does stick-built and I'm not likely going that route due to cost reasons. But who knows at this point? I have to get through zoning first...fun, fun, fun...

Alan Lightstone
01-30-2022, 8:33 AM

What a great idea that is, Pat. I wish I had seen that before I built my large shop cabinet. Nice job. And the Festool Vac Sys clamping system x 2 also. Whole project cost you a big chunk of change, I'm sure, but should be incredibly useful.

Charles Coolidge
01-30-2022, 10:25 AM
Interestly, my neighbor from a few doors down who is a contractor recently bought the house next to ours to rehab and resell. He and his spouse wanted to do something nice for the neighborhood and make sure that the place was handled well and not allowed to continue to degrade. (the previous owners haven't done any work including normal, needed maintenance for decades) It's going to be more work than they anticipated, but still a nice project. The tie in here is that while I was finishing up with snow removal on our driveway today, he and his spouse came up the street with a snowblower and shovel to take care of that property's driveway and he told me that he's going to have his guys removing some trees on that property...as well as the two dead ones I need down. He's already pulled a big stump out a few months ago on our property that just just said "I'm doing it" and it was done. I'm really fortunate that he is going to help out with this because it will save some money vs me hiring someone...it's not a job I can handle. I already paid $8K at the old property to remove some trees in the last year so I really do understand how you feel, Charles!

In my dreams I wish I had a neighbor like that. I'm already $9k into tree removal since I bought the house 11 years ago and that's just having the stumps ground below grade. Since my house has doubled in value I'm tempted to sell it and have a new house and shop built in one fell swoop on land that's been cleared of trees. Here in WA we have Fir trees which have a tap root that goes straight down, you need a bull dozer with a stump splitter to split the stump then a full size excavator to dig it out.

Charles Coolidge
01-30-2022, 10:26 AM
I will certainly be having a conversation with him, but AFAIK, he only does stick-built and I'm not likely going that route due to cost reasons. But who knows at this point? I have to get through zoning first...fun, fun, fun...

Okay it was 11 years ago but my stick built custom home builder quoted me $30k for a stick built 25x35 foot shop. At the time that was in the neighborhood of metal shop buildings. Wait, I think we are in the wrong forum for this discussion lol I'm moving over there.

Jim Becker
01-30-2022, 10:47 AM
Okay it was 11 years ago but my stick built custom home builder quoted me $30k for a stick built 25x35 foot shop. At the time that was in the neighborhood of metal shop buildings. Wait, I think we are in the wrong forum for this discussion lol I'm moving over there.
Metal is definitely on the menu at this point and a preliminary look puts a completed cost about what you mention, not including survey and zoning. I'll be getting post frame quote(s), too. I actually like both of these choices as they go up uber-fast which will scratch the itch quickly. Then again, lead times for "anything" are long at this point.

Charles Coolidge
01-30-2022, 12:51 PM
Then again, lead times for "anything" are long at this point.

Depends on how much of a hurry you are in. My neighbor down the road has been assembling his metal shop building for...9 years. lmao

Jim Becker
01-30-2022, 4:29 PM
Depends on how much of a hurry you are in. My neighbor down the road has been assembling his metal shop building for...9 years. lmao
That's funny. What I'd be looking at goe up in a day; two at the most, not including the concrete slab. Wood post frame has a similar time frame. I'm not doing the work myself. I'll handle the interior, but the build will be by others.

Pat Rice
01-30-2022, 9:46 PM
Alan, the Felder hydraulic lift table is not inexpensive but my back thanks me every time I use it to adjust the working height to suit my body. Have had the Festool vac Sys clamps for awhile. A big unexpected expense was the cost of two sheets of Baltic birch plywood. I have been extremely please with the new worktop.