PDA

View Full Version : New belts for Steff 2034 CI power feeder or convert to rollers

Wes Billups
01-22-2022, 10:19 PM
So I've got a Steff 2034 CI power feeder which has belts instead of wheels. I don't use it much as I'm not a production shop but today I could not get the belts to grip the wood to pull it through the shaper.

I bought the shaper and feeder used 14 years ago and never replaced the belts as they are in very good shape still but I'm wondering if there is any option other than replacing to give them better grip. I've thought about trying to grind/sand the existing belts to give them a fresh surface in order to better grip the wood. Has anyone done this or tried belt dressing to give their belts better grip? I'd hate to have to spend the $180 ($60 per belt) to replace the three belts if there was a less expensive option for a hobbiest shop.

Another option I've thought about for years is to look into converting this feeder into a conventional wheel based feeder. It appears I can do this for about $60 ($20 per wheel). I've never felt like the belt feed was necessary for the type of work I do so would love to get some input by those more experienced in shaper and feeder operation than I.

Here is what I've got versus what I'm looking at:
472174 472175

Thanks,
Wes

Rod Sheridan
01-23-2022, 8:58 AM
Hi Wes, good timing, I just replaced the rollers on my feeder because they had lost their elasticity.

Unless you run very short pieces I would go with the rollers….Regards, Rod.

Bob Falk
01-24-2022, 1:53 PM
I bought new wheels from Western Roller (polyurathane, I think). They are blue and grip well.....the original yellow ones you show in the picture slip, in my experience.