PDA

View Full Version : Lasering light switch plates

Mark Mullis
01-17-2006, 8:13 AM
I noticed in the craft show thread, Keith mentioned light switch plates. Can regular light switch plates that are white and ivory be lasered? And if so what does it look like. I am in the construction business and have noticed that with all the ceiling fans, lights, and three way switches, some people end up with 8-10 switches in a row. Thought it would be nice if you could label them.

Joe Pelonio
01-17-2006, 8:47 AM
Yes, they can be lasered. On the white and ivory it's very subtle. So much so that it's really hard to tell there's lettering on there at all in poor light. You'd probably want to paint fill the letters.

Jeff DeVore
01-17-2006, 9:58 AM
I have lasered several light switch plates around our house. Just put on a paper mask, laser, spray with enamel paint and peel off the mask.

Ed Lang
01-17-2006, 10:02 AM
I have lasered several light switch plates around our house. Just put on a paper mask, laser, spray with enamel paint and peel off the mask.

Would you please suggest what mask and where I can get it?

Thanks.

Joe Pelonio
01-17-2006, 10:21 AM
The transfer tape we use in the sign business for applying vinyl works great. If you were around here I'd be happy to give you a roll end. otherwise wide masking tape is OK.

Keith Outten
01-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Laserbits sells paper engraving tape that is used for masking projects and it is available in 6" and 12" wide rolls. As Joe said...in a pinch you can use regular masking tape but you might have a bit more cleanup to do after engraving.

For paint filling check out the Rustoleum Hammer paint, available in several colors and looks great. Make sure you remove the mask before the paint is completely dry :)

http://www.laserbits.com

Ed Lang
01-17-2006, 1:03 PM
Thanks.

The hammer tone is working great after the visit to your shop Keith.