PDA

View Full Version : Pics Double Vanity- a few firsts

Gail O'Rourke
01-17-2006, 7:11 AM
Hi, here is a double vanity for a client. It was my first *beaded face frame, *inset doors/drawers.

Also, because of the order of my lumber delivery, I made the face frame first and casework second. Which was a nice way to mix it up and I settled a couple layout questions in the process.

This client is also a contractor, he will be painting this piece and will be picking it up today to do that and install. Nice to not do the finish, but I did clearcoat the inside for him. dimensions 23 1/2 by 33 by 64

Paul Canaris
01-17-2006, 7:16 AM
Very nice work

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-17-2006, 7:27 AM
That beaded detail looks quite nice. :)

Dick Parr
01-17-2006, 7:37 AM
That's a really great looking job Gail, the beading came out really nice. The client should be very happy.

Nice job:)

William Lewis
01-17-2006, 7:37 AM
I'am in impressed with the work that you do.

William Lewis

Pete Harbin
01-17-2006, 8:42 AM
Nicely done Gail. I've always found beaded details really add a craftmanship detail to pieces, and you've executed it very well.

Pete

Aaron Montgomery
01-17-2006, 8:47 AM
Nice work Gail!

Joe Unni
01-17-2006, 8:47 AM
Great work Gail!

Could not see from the pictures...how were the doors/drawers done?

Very nice,
-joe

Ray Bersch
01-17-2006, 10:10 AM
...Nice to not do the finish.....

You know, this is how I feel all the time - by the time I pick out the lumber, break it down, cut to size, assemble the cabinets, fix the mistakes, put on the hardware, and prepare for the installation I really dislike doing the finishing - its the woodworking I like, not the finishing.

So I am looking at HVLP set ups to see if that will take some of the angst out of the process. Why can't EVERYTHING be fun!!! (What an outlook, huh?)

Nice work - keep 'em coming.

Jim Becker
01-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Very nice, Gail. Great work like this will continue to bring you more work in the future, especially if this contractor is kewel with giving you referals.

Von Bickley
01-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Gail,

Great looking vanity...:)

Gail O'Rourke
01-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks everyone, The drawers are 1/2 ply with applied drawer fronts similar to Frank Pellows post. A note about that, I apply the fronts by holding them in place and having my husband shoot brads from the back into the front and then securing them on with screws. But I like Franks method also and will keep it in mind for the future.

Another thing that I wanted to show was the hinges for the doors. I favor the fexibility and adjustability of the european hinges. These are inset hinges for face frames, you won't find them in hardware stores. I buy my hinges from a supplier, Richelieu - it is a 120 degree hinge with a face frame mounting plate.

Here is a picture.

Jim Becker
01-17-2006, 1:46 PM
These are inset hinges for face frames, you won't find them in hardware stores.

Yea, these puppies are harder to find...I got some from Rockler a few years ago, but I think even they don't carry the same ones anymore.

John Bailey
01-17-2006, 2:26 PM
Nice work Gail. Better watch out, you might be getting so much work you won't be able to keep up.

John

Chris Dodge
01-17-2006, 2:30 PM
Very nice work!

Mike Zozakiewicz
01-17-2006, 2:34 PM
Great work Gail! I really like the bead work.

Mike

Keith Hooks
01-17-2006, 3:07 PM
That's very nice work. Thanks too for the hinge info.

I can sympathize about the finishing as well. That's my least favorite part of woodworking, although it certainly does give life to a project.

Thanks for posting!

Carl Eyman
01-17-2006, 5:32 PM
Quote:
. A note about that, I apply the fronts by holding them in place and having my husband shoot brads from the back into the front and then securing them on with screws.

:D Your husband is small enough to get inside the drawer to shoot the brads? That is handy.

lou sansone
01-17-2006, 8:47 PM
as others have said. looks real nice. always like the little quirk bead around the openings.
lou

Mark Carlson
01-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Gail,

The gaps on your inset doors and drawers look nice and even. Good job. You finish 3 or 4 projects before I finish one.

~mark

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Great job Gail. It is beautiful.

frank shic
01-18-2006, 2:27 PM
nice job, gail! did you apply the bead or did you rout them in?

Tyler Howell
01-18-2006, 2:35 PM
Wonderful fit and finish.:cool:
Very Nice.

Byron Trantham
01-18-2006, 2:43 PM
Gail, very nice work. The bead work really does make a nice finished piece.

brent lenthall
01-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Gail,

Vanity looks nice. Nearly all my work is inset beaded FF. I've used the same hinge style you showed (I used Salice), but had some problems with the hinges workin loose because the screws line up very close to the flat area of the bead. If you are coping and notching your FF vs. applied bead you may not have this issue. Now, I use a 1/2" overlay hinge with a FF plate that mounts on a piece of stock that is glued and screwed to the back of the FF. I run this piece of the molder to rabbit a setback equal to the thickness of my door bumper.

Jerry Olexa
01-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Nice work, Gail and I also like the beading detail..

Gail O'Rourke
01-19-2006, 7:12 AM
Thanks everybody,

Brent you answered all my questions with your post. I would think that your way is the best way, and I considered it, but wasn't sure that I could pull it off while making it look clean. I will try it because it sounds much fast than the way that I did it. (for others, my bead in this piece was applied)

I hear you about mounting the hardware, I had to switch to longer screws, I hope it will hold. I will try your technique next time. Thanks for the advice.