PDA

View Full Version : safety in the workplace

Warren Lake
01-15-2022, 5:08 PM
if you go in from :40 seconds to 2:00 minutes this lady will demonstrate the finer points of how to safely cross cut on a sliding table saw. I watched a few more you tubes and almost a guarantee there would be a kids dont do this at home moment. Pretty minimal kickback compared to what it could have been.

What struck me watching a few of these was the mass of slabs of walnut in a few. Imagine how much material from all over the world ends up there. Then likely shipped back.

If you are going to cut like this lady I suggest you get a suit of armour, if not at least goalie pads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrrtUQ-dl84

Stan Calow
01-15-2022, 5:35 PM
Wow. Just about everything you're not supposed to do, including no safety gear. I like the skirt, however.

Kevin Jenness
01-15-2022, 5:35 PM
Isn't that something? The best woodworkers have a way of making it look so easy.

Greg Quenneville
01-15-2022, 6:42 PM
Jointers? We don’t need no steenking jointers! As well as all the other glaring mistakes.

Warren Lake
01-16-2022, 12:54 AM
I was relieved she didnt use the jointer, if you use a table saw like that what will you do on a jointer. Interesting technique of looking into the planer crouched down.

One thing I have seen with some pros is standing behind the board as they feed into the planer. Remember a friend in a good shop saying the planer kicked back and hit him in the stomach and bounced back into the planer and kept going, he laughed about it. Lucky the planer table was not at a lower height, that can take your sense of humour away.

Its pretty odd you tube whatever it is.

Rod Sheridan
01-16-2022, 8:08 AM
Agreed, we had a piece of 12/4 red oak explode in the gang rip saw, one shard came out the infeed side, somehow through the chain curtain into the stomach of the operator.

It was around 2 feet long and was removed in surgery… Rod

Robert Engel
01-16-2022, 8:30 AM
Maybe there should be a YT safety committee, seeing they are into monitoring content………

Alan Lightstone
01-16-2022, 9:21 AM
Agreed, we had a piece of 12/4 red oak explode in the gang rip saw, one shard came out the infeed side, somehow through the chain curtain into the stomach of the operator.

It was around 2 feet long and was removed in surgery… Rod

Wow. That's an injury I never saw in the OR. And that's saying a lot.

Brian Holcombe
01-16-2022, 10:20 AM
I teach basic woodworking in groups and one of the important safety lessons is avoid standing down range of a potential kickback. Avoiding things like looking directly into the planer while your feeding material into it is part of that.

In my shop safety glasses are worn when anyone is using a tool, don’t care if it’s a hand tool or machine. Ear pro every time a machine is getting turned on.

Gloves are for material handling not when running a machine! I use cut-proof gloves now for sharping large mortising chisels also.

FirstAid kit and fire extinguisher mounted to the wall in sight of everyone in the shop. I use multiple spaces and each one has a first aid kit and fire extinguisher on the wall.

Warren Lake
01-16-2022, 11:43 AM
pretty sure yt has removed lots for different reasons, showing too much, saying too much and and. I cant see how they could inspect it really. Ive seen so much. I screen save a bit here and there.

Some just a person not knowing, some insane. They could hire me and id find lots, they could hire Rod and he find lots more. id be a hypocrite with how I work. Then do you take a you tube off cause someone does a few stupid things on an otherwise good video. Last week saw a guitar builder, built a great guitar then I see him ripping on a table saw no fence. He knew how to build a guitar but not how machinery works. Junior level machinery is at times more forgiving but still.

Lee Schierer
01-16-2022, 12:47 PM
I thought it was interesting how she adjusted the planer for each pass on each piece.

Andrew Seemann
01-16-2022, 2:04 PM
What is bizarre is that, unlike a lot of similar videos, she clearly has experience using the tools (even if not always using them safely) and building stuff. I scanned through some of her other videos, and she is consistently hitting switches on the saw, etc without looking, so she has used them enough to be quite familiar with them. She is pretty good on the forklift also.

It almost seems like she is the owner's daughter/niece/granddaughter and has worked there for a while helping with stuff (maybe not advanced things), and is just goofing around on her day off making videos for her friends and subscribers. With more experience and some safer practices, she probably could be a good video instructor.

I confess to having a somewhat flagrant disregard for safety using tools in my teen years as well. Fortunately I survived with all ten figures and and managed to (mostly) pick up safe habits since then:)

Kevin Jenness
01-16-2022, 2:20 PM
I am definitely considering upgrading my shop attire.

Andrew Seemann
01-16-2022, 2:25 PM
I am definitely considering upgrading my shop attire..

Yeah, I don't know if my glue and finish covered sweatshirt and frayed jeans are quite going to cut it anymore. I guess I have a wardrobe made for podcasting.

Greg Quenneville
01-16-2022, 7:04 PM
Obviously the bending over in the tight mini skirt was the entire point of the exercise. Guards and underwear removed for demonstration purposes. You other youtubers are going to have to raise your games.

Rich Engelhardt
01-17-2022, 11:42 AM
The only safe thing I saw in that video was she was working alone & wasn't distracting anyone else ;) .

Richard Coers
01-17-2022, 12:01 PM
With 3.2 million views, I'd say she accomplished the goal of nearly all Youtube people. Teaching skills and safety is not the #1 reason videos post on there. I'll give her points for not saying "Hey YouTubers" and "Please, please, please hit subscribe"

Bill Dufour
01-17-2022, 4:22 PM
At least she is not wearing high heels. I am sure those are not steel toed tennies. If that kick back piece hit her toes she would be in trouble.
Bill D

Warren Lake
01-17-2022, 4:29 PM
They might make Minolo Blonics with steel toes. Maybe not on Amazon but somewhere. Likely tells you in the the book of how to get more views on you tube.

Bill Dufour
01-17-2022, 7:41 PM
I just cannot fathom the no safety glasses. Dust and noise take time to add up the damage. You can lose an eye in under one second on the first day.
And looking into mouth of the planer while it is spinning, why? Wonder if she wears contacts.
Very impressive if she is blind
Bill D

Warren Lake
01-17-2022, 8:15 PM
ear protectors are number one for me. Eyes while I should have glasses always dont. I rely on reflexes so not the best. At one time wore mask glasses and ear protection, the glasses fogged up. Not ideal if you cant cant see. Im no role model.

I watched one or two more of those you tubes and saw some lousey stuff, making a rabbit standing on the other side of the fence rubber mallet for a push stick which from memeory became two hands behind the blade. If she actually did that work and worked that way its only a matter of time before it doesnt end well. The kick back that seemed to make her happy barely qualified, technically yes but it had 2 percent of the force it could have had and much more so if she had been in the line of fire.

I wanted to find a you tube of this british guy in a Red Shop Robe. I remember him using push sticks that were super long. It was like a guy doing woodwork with really long chop sticks.

Dave Zellers
01-17-2022, 9:58 PM
She is adhering to an important shop rule-- No loose clothing.

Warren Lake
01-17-2022, 10:38 PM
Years ago a guy showed up at an auction with a lady that could have been her prettier sister. She was wearing the same proper shop work wear plus makeup and heels. I realized she was there for a reason, to be a distraction as he did buying. Sure enough he bought a bunch of major equipment.

Frank Pratt
01-18-2022, 9:44 AM

Hands down, best post of the thread :)

Bill Dufour
01-18-2022, 11:16 AM
Her hair is short so it does not need to be tied back. From the machines I assume she is in North America but I never heard any spoken words So it could be anywhere in the world.
Bill D

Bill Dufour
01-18-2022, 11:19 AM
I bet younger guys noticed she has no wedding ring showing to get caught in the machinery. That is one of the few safe things she is doing.
Bill D

Rich Engelhardt
01-18-2022, 12:55 PM
From the machines I assume she is in North America but I never heard any spoken words So it could be anywhere in the world.She's from Korea. She has that info in her "about". There's also a link to Instagram & there are a lot of pictures of other finished furniture - which I assume the factor puts out.

She is adhering to an important shop rule-- No loose clothing.LOL! Good one!

Warren Lake
01-18-2022, 12:56 PM
dont mean to be picking on her, lots of others I could, even me. Old guy said dont go behind the blade then showed me why. doing this one day wont end well.

Mark Rainey
01-18-2022, 9:19 PM

Hilarious Dave!!

Bill Dufour
01-18-2022, 9:32 PM
Interesting to see that Korea paints their old tools the same as USA high school shop green.
Bill D