PDA

View Full Version : Biscuit joiner

Mike Sanfeliz
01-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Hi all, I've read a few posts on the subject, but still wanted to ask for myself.

Q. If I just want to use a biscuit jointer once and awhile, should I still go for the Porter Cable that many recommend? or will a simple Craftsman/Ryobi do (for $89)?

I know that CM has a pro line that is the DeWalt clone, but if I were to spend that much. It would go for the PC ($10 difference).

I know some will say, "Buy the better one, you'll grow into it", but what if I really only use it once and awhile? I've also read how some guys buy one and it sits on a shelf most of the time.

reason for it: I need to build a center island for my kitchen and like the idea of using biscuits (unless I'm going about this the wrong way?).

Mike Evertsen
01-16-2006, 11:26 PM
I have freud 102 biscuit that sits on the shelf since I bought a kreg k 2000 pocket hole jig. I still use the biscuits for somes things but for me building cabinets using the pocket hole jig is faster.

Michael Ballent
01-16-2006, 11:32 PM
I have the PC version and really like it. But now that I have a Kreg I do not use it as much as before... It's really handy for somethings but the Kreg is much faster for others especially if you are short on clamps. Like the face frames... you wil be amazed at the speed that you can get a face from completed, compared to using biscuits. For one you do not need to wait for the glue to dry and clamping it up. But for other things biscuits are great.

Anthony Anderson
01-16-2006, 11:47 PM
Mike, i was in the local Lowe's on Saturday and they had a brand (can't remember the name) that looked very similar to the DeWalt, that they were clearancing for $50. It looked like a decent machine for the money, and certainly would be great for occasional use. Check out your Lowe's and see if they have any. I have the P-C557 and I really like it. Good Luck, Bill

Mike Henderson
01-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Before I bought a biscuit joiner, I would borrow my neighbor's Ryobi biscuit joiner. While I was thankful to be able to borrow the Ryobi, it was hard to set up and use - not what I consider a good tool. I eventually bought a Dewalt (got a special deal on it) and like it a lot better. Many people speak highly of the PC - I think you can't go wrong with it.

Mike

Chris Damato
01-17-2006, 8:16 AM
I love my PC biscuit joiner. I would recommend it to anyone. I used the DeWalt last week and IMO, the only other one I would consider aside from the PC would be the Lamello. You cannot go wrong with the PC!

-Chris

Fred Voorhees
01-17-2006, 8:22 AM
Mike I have the PC and when some fans of it refer to it, they note the availability of face frame bisquit use. I was thinking of just that yesterday when I needed to get down to that size in connecting a number of arched top door frame parts. The next size up would not have fit my needs as the slot would have blown out the sides of the framing parts. That is one of the benefits of the PC, you do have the option of face frame bisquits. Like others, I have the Kreg jig and it certainly has taken the place of the bisquit technique in some respects, but my PC bisquit joiner is still a handy weapon in my arsonal.

Dick Parr
01-17-2006, 8:23 AM
Like Mike, my DeWalt sits in the cabinet since I bought my Kreg Pro set-up.:rolleyes:

Larry Fox
01-17-2006, 9:42 AM
I have the PC but before I bought that I used a 5/32" slot cutter in my router table and it worked great. I only bought the PC to avoid repeated setups of the router table.

Jim Becker
01-17-2006, 10:49 AM
If you don't need the mini-biscuit capablity, the Freud JS102 is an excellent buy. It serves my needs...which are only occasional and generally only for alignment of a face frame to a carcass. I really don't "build" anything with biscuits...pocket screws are faster when it comes to making face frames and other assemblies.

Mike Sanfeliz
01-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the input.

So it seems to me that regardless of use time. The PC seems to be the all around favorite. So this morning after I dropped my daughter off in day-care. I went to both HD and Sears and did some comparisons on my own. What I found was that for $89. the Craftsman/Ryobi($99) will do the job, but I found them to be on the bulky and heavy side. The pro line Craftsman($189) and Dewalt($169) were a bit nicer and I found them both easier to handle. When I got my hands around the PC ($197), I understood what you guys were talking about. The PC is made real well, had features that I may or my not need, but the others didn't have. It was also much lighter than the cheaper joiners. That's really important to me.

Anyway, time to start saving up .