PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Scroll Chuck

Russell Neyman
01-13-2022, 5:09 PM
471587 471588
Does anyone know what brand scroll chuck this is? I bought it at an estate sale and it would be helpful if I knew more about it. It seems to be well-made but doesn't have any visible markings on it. Here's what I know:

The format does not match either One-Way or Nova, so finding duplicate jaws would seem to be difficult.
The hex screws are larger than most other chucks.
It has a closed back and an integral 1'x8 tpi thread with no insert.
The barrel measures four inches across.

David Walser
01-13-2022, 5:21 PM
Russell -- That looks like one of PSI's no-name chucks that PSI used to sell a few years ago. I bought one and the tommy bars had that kind of handle on them. Like yours, mine doesn't have any identifying information on it.

Russell Neyman
01-13-2022, 6:07 PM
Russell -- That looks like one of PSI's no-name chucks that PSI used to sell a few years ago. I bought one and the tommy bars had that kind of handle on them. Like yours, mine doesn't have any identifying information on it.

Could you do me a favor and measure the hole spacing? Perhaps I can buy more jaws for it if I know it's a PSI chuck.

Sam Force
01-13-2022, 8:11 PM
I have an exact mate to your chuck, have no idea where it came from or even how I ended up with it. I think it might be a "Wen" at least it looks like 1 of theirs

Walter Mooney
01-14-2022, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=Russell Neyman;3168268 (tel:3168268)]471587 471588
Does anyone know what brand scroll chuck this is? I bought it at an estate sale and it would be helpful if I knew more about it. It seems to be well-made but doesn't have any visible markings on it. Here's what I know:

The format does not match either One-Way or Nova, so finding duplicate jaws would seem to be difficult.
The hex screws are larger than most other chucks.
It has a closed back and an integral 1'x8 tpi thread with no insert.
The barrel measures four inches across.

The screws in my One-Way Talon chuck are larger than those in my Nova chucks. It might be a Talon. I’ll follow this thread. If you measure the screw spacing, I’ll compare that to my Talon jaws.

Russell Neyman
01-16-2022, 12:50 PM
I've concluded it's a Wen chuck, the type often sold at big box home improvement centers. I can't find any alternative jaws sets that will fit this. My hope is to pass it on to one of my woodturning students, but a chuck with only one set of jaws is of limited use.

Dan Hunkele
01-17-2022, 8:35 AM
The bolts spacing on my Penn State Ind chuck is a tad over 3/4".