PDA

View Full Version : SD Card setup in phone

Bert Kemp
01-12-2022, 4:46 PM
How do most people set up their SD card in their android phone
Internal Storage or Default Storage+

I'm basically using an old phone as a dash cam and want to put a 128 gb card in it, so which way would be best to set the card up ?

Jerome Stanek
01-12-2022, 6:33 PM

I'm basically using an old phone as a dash cam and want to put a 128 gb card in it, so which way would be best to set the card up ?

Will your phone take that big of a card

Lee Schierer
01-12-2022, 6:34 PM
I use my SD card for all storage of documents and photos. That way if the phone dies or I have to get a new one, all my data is safe on the SD card.

Bert Kemp
01-12-2022, 7:44 PM
I use my SD card for all storage of documents and photos. That way if the phone dies or I have to get a new one, all my data is safe on the SD card.

so is that default or internal

Lee Schierer
01-13-2022, 8:44 AM
The default storage is the SD card.

Mike Gresham
01-13-2022, 9:31 AM

Flip side of that is that if the SD card dies your data is gone. Best you have it backed up. Fortunately, I did.

Scott Clausen
01-13-2022, 9:42 AM
Video is very demanding on SD cards. I use these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NY23WBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1) in Alarm.com cameras because they one of three types that are tested to work. They come in 128 GB and 256 GB. I have no idea if they are needed for your application.

Bert Kemp
01-13-2022, 11:44 AM
Right but your given the option of how to install the SD card. You can install as Internal Storage or you can install as Default storage and I was wondering what most people do.

Andre Packwood
01-13-2022, 3:16 PM
Hi Bert,

The internal storage is the memory installed permanently in your phone by the maker. Once an microSD is added, you will have the possibility of storing your data into the internal memory or into the SD card. When you consult your files, that choice will be offered. Some applications will let you choose where to store files by default. Your camera app and file downloading settings come to mind.

When you connect your phone to your computer to upload or download files, you will given the choice between "phone" and "card".

Regards, Andre

Curt Harms
01-14-2022, 9:11 AM
My phone, when I opened the camera app after installing a microSD card asked me where I wanted to store my pictures/videos. As mentioned earlier, some older phones may be limited to 32 GB. cards

Bert Kemp
01-14-2022, 11:40 AM
Well I decided to put it in the phone and see what happens. It did ask if I wanted photos and vids on the card and I said yes. thanx for all the replies:)

Myk Rian
01-14-2022, 11:53 AM

My old phone, an S7, I had to tell the cam app where to save files. That was with Nougat? OS.