PDA

View Full Version : CA Glue source

Justin Rapp
01-12-2022, 8:47 AM
Has anyone picked up CA glue at lowes/home depot? I see Gorilla Super Glue Gel says it's CA glue. Has anyone used this to fill small holes in wood?

Also what about an activator? I don't see that at all, at least on HD/lowes web site.

Jason Evans
01-12-2022, 8:59 AM
I’ve got a couple bottles of bob smith ca glue with activator that I bought like 3 years ago at a hobby store. Medium and thin or super thin can’t remember right this second. They are still good. It’s on Amazon too, but if you want to go to a store check a hobby town or something

Jim Becker
01-12-2022, 9:50 AM
Has anyone picked up CA glue at lowes/home depot? I see Gorilla Super Glue Gel says it's CA glue. Has anyone used this to fill small holes in wood?

Also what about an activator? I don't see that at all, at least on HD/lowes web site.

I tend to order this stuff from Amazon including accelerator. The 'borg does carry CA glue...mostly the thinner stuff. "Gorilla" is a brand and yes, they offer a variety of glue types including CA.

Grant Wilkinson
01-12-2022, 10:09 AM
I've used quite a bit of this product with good results

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Instantbond-100-400-ml-Clear-World-s-Fastest-Instant-Adhesive-and-Cyanoacrylate-Glue-and-Activator-Spray-100-400/203082931

That said, for filling holes, Starbond and others have coloured CA glue that really does a nice job. It's not available at big box, as far as I can see in Canada, at least.

John K Jordan
01-12-2022, 10:21 AM
You want the good stuff?
Consider Mercury Adhesives: https://www.mercuryadhesives.com/ Scroll down for details.

- Excellent, in my experience.
- Best bottle and cap i’ve ever seen.
- Unconditional guarantee - they will replace any bottle that sets up.
- Made in USA.

Bob Falk
01-12-2022, 10:57 AM
Starbond is good....free shipping

Grant Wilkinson
01-12-2022, 11:08 AM
It sounds good, John. It's available on Amazon.ca for $51 for 2oz. Taxes in, that's $58!. That's simply not in the cards for me. Tks for the recommendation, though.

You want the good stuff?
Consider Mercury Adhesives: https://www.mercuryadhesives.com/ Scroll down for details.

- Made in USA.

Earl McLain
01-12-2022, 1:28 PM
YOWZERS Momma!!! Woodcraft is at $9.99 USD and Amazon (USA) is at $10.25 USD for the medium Mercury Flex. Had to check after seeing $50+.
I like Bob Smith Super Thin for penetrating (carrying powder stone/metal into small cracks, but i don't use accelerator for that--just let it cure a few hours to a day so i don't run the risk of white moisture spots deep in a blank (1/16" to 1/8" in a pen or stopper blank is deep!!) I normally use Mercury Flex medium or thick for deeper fills depending on the size of the opening and how sure i am to get penetration. For finishing, i've pretty much switched over to Glu Boost--just seems to flow better. With either Mercury or Glu Boost--i use their own accelerators and both work very well.

If i'm just gluing 2 things together--it's usually Bob Smith Super Thick or gel.

Agree with J K Jordan on Mercury's caps--awesome. Glu Boost uses same or similar enough. I keep meaning to check to see if the thread is the same as the Bob Smith bottles--hate their caps, even when i remember to wax them!!
earl

Mitch schiffer
01-12-2022, 1:40 PM
My small local machinery dealer stocks the 2p-10 ca glue and accelerator. If your looking to buy local you could check the tool dealers in your area.

Justin Rapp
01-12-2022, 2:53 PM
You want the good stuff?

- Made in USA.

Looks good actually, except now I see Starbond has black, which i think is an advantage. Mercury needs some help with their website!

John K Jordan
01-12-2022, 3:35 PM
..,I see Starbond has black…

Is the black Starbond a flexible “rubber" CA?

John K Jordan
01-12-2022, 3:39 PM
It sounds good, John. It's available on Amazon.ca for $51 for 2oz. Taxes in, that's $58!. That's simply not in the cards for me. Tks for the recommendation, though.

Last time I bought some i think it was direct from Mercury, price was reasonable.

Zachary Hoyt
01-12-2022, 3:43 PM
I get CA from Stewart-Macdonald. I only use the #30 thick stuff anymore, and a bottle lasts me for years, even though I use some on almost every instrument I build. There are times when something thinner would be a little handier, but I use it so infrequently that it dries up in the bottle.

Lawrence Duckworth
01-12-2022, 3:53 PM
Woodturnerswonders is a source
Check out his adhesive section

Jim Becker
01-12-2022, 8:07 PM
I get CA from Stewart-Macdonald. I only use the #30 thick stuff anymore, and a bottle lasts me for years, even though I use some on almost every instrument I build. There are times when something thinner would be a little handier, but I use it so infrequently that it dries up in the bottle.

Yea, that's where a chunk of mine is from including the black. I think my "thick" is Super-T but I'd have to step into the icebox that I call my temporary shop to find out for sure. LOL StewMac had one of their frequent specials with CA about the time I needed some and I ended up with a bunch of 10, 20 and 30 plus black all at once. I'm sure some of it's spoiled at this point.

John K Jordan
01-12-2022, 10:48 PM
... There are times when something thinner would be a little handier, but I use it so infrequently that it dries up in the bottle.

I've posted this before: decades ago I came up with a method that works well to keep CA from setting up in the bottle. Since moisture is an accelerator I seal the bottles in a container with indicator desiccant to remove the moisture. (moisture will go through most plastic bottles) The desiccant changes from blue towards pink when it's time to recharge it.

This was my original canister but I use a bigger one now.

JKJ

Mitch schiffer
01-13-2022, 1:09 PM
I've posted this before: decades ago I came up with a method that works well to keep CA from setting up in the bottle. Since moisture is an accelerator I seal the bottles in a container with indicator desiccant to remove the moisture. (moisture will go through most plastic bottles) The desiccant changes from blue towards pink when it's time to recharge it.

This was my original canister but I use a bigger one now.

JKJ

Neat idea I might just have to try that. I have tried keeping them in the refrigerator and that seems to help as well.

Justin Rapp
01-13-2022, 2:26 PM
I ordered some startbond from Amazon.